HybridZ

17x10 rims and tires, questions.

I'm seriously considering getting the YZ kit if this job comes through. When that happens, I'll want to upgrade the suspension, control arms, bushings, brakes, and of course the rims/tires.

I asked CCW how much a set of 17x10 and 17x8.5 classics would be and they quoted me $1900. Not bad for custom 3 piece wheels! Anyway.. question is:

what offset should i use? would i need a spacer?

also, what size tires and where do i get tires that wide?

Jayz, wheel spec questions are as old as dirt. Here is a simple way to figure out what spacing you need. 1st - with your existing tires/wheels in place, measure how much clearance you have (inside & outside) regarding the wheel to body/chassis. 2nd - figure out the offset of the wheel. 3rd - make an accurite sketch of the wheel and then the clearances you have measured from the wheel to body/chassis. 4th - overlay a sketch of the size wheel you want on the sketch of your existing wheel so it is centered properly between the inside of the chassis and the inside of the outer fender. 5th -When you are satisfied with the new wheel placement, calculate the offset of the new wheel by using the location of your existing wheel's mounting flange. This will give you the necessary offset for your custom wheels withoput using any spacers. Note: Generally speaking, when going to a wheel wider than 8" on the back, you will need to install coilovers to provide for the additional clearance. I have 17"x 9" wheels (with 235-40 x 17 tires)on the rear of my 240 and I don't think I could go with a wider wheel without altering the fender lip. My rear tire/wheel setup does not extend beyond the stock fender lip and does not rub any under bump. Hope this helps you figure out the wheels you plan to have made...good luck Jayz!

Jaysz,

Majik16106 has some Boyd Coddington wheels for sale in the for sale section with size specs similar to yours. Search for thread on his wheel / tire combination. 2126 is correct, backspace 4.75 or greater inboard space becomes and issue and coilovers are required or modification of strut housing. ZR8ED wheel/tire selection is close to your specs as well, except i think he has 17 x 11 wheels in the rear -do a thread search on his specs -His rear tires are 315/35 -17 Very, very nice Black Z.

hello, thanks for the tips and info

as far as the Boyd's, i'm hoping to go with some CCW's since i've always loved that style rim. actually, i wish all of their rims were 3 piece with the option to customize size and width... but its a hell of a lot cheaper than HRE so no complaints :)

anyway, wow.. 315. that puts a smile on my face man.. but damn the cost of tires is gonna kill me over the long run lol. oh well, i wont be driving it everyday!

Check around for tire prices on 315/35/17 - 1010tire.com, tirerack, onlinetires.com. My car is my weekend cruiser for me and my son (7 year old think Z's and corvettes are cool !!!), so if go 315/35/17 I will go with a Sumitomo HTRZ from the Tirerack and there running a special on that size now. Another tire size to consider, although finding rims will be costly is a 285/30-18 for the rear. This size is real close to to the stock ride height, but wider and shorter in height than a 275/40-17.

Check around for tire prices on 315/35/17 - 1010tire.com, tirerack, onlinetires.com. My car is my weekend cruiser for me and my son (7 year old think Z's and corvettes are cool !!!), so if go 315/35/17 I will go with a Sumitomo HTRZ from the Tirerack and there running a special on that size now. Another tire size to consider, although finding rims will be costly is a 285/30-18 for the rear. This size is real close to to the stock ride height, but wider and shorter in height than a 275/40-17.

thanks for the links, 1010tire.com doesnt seem to be working though. i wish my dad was into cars the way i was lol, this would be a lot easier then. anyway, i will definately look into running the 18's now :)

Guest ON3GO

i would run wider then 10's with the YZ kit.

my green Z with just reg ole ZG flares has 17x11's out back with a 275 rear tire (can go wider if need be) and 17x9.5 up front.

i plan on doing the YZ kit to this car or another Z sooner or later and im going to go with a 17x13 or 18x13 wheel in the back and 17x11 or 18x11 up front.

deff would go wider then 10.

mike

thanks for the links, 1010tire.com doesnt seem to be working though. i wish my dad was into cars the way i was lol, this would be a lot easier then. anyway, i will definately look into running the 18's now :)

18" tire prices are quite a bit more. Don't know if price is an issue. It keep me from running 18's

Guest iskone

If your goona go with the YZ's I've got some YZ qtrs I'm gonna be putting up for sale for $400. I bought them off evilrufuskay because I was planning on using them one day but I need the cash now. Never been installed. Also got A whale tail.

isk

My error Jaysz,

1010tires.com, add the "s" to tire. Also, they revamped there web page and they may have been down, but they have a pretty good old tire to new tire calculator.

Clifton,

I have found some Hankook Ventus sport K104 in the 285/30-18 size priced between $135.00 - $160.00 plus or minus shipping. I have also found that the vendors who sell Ford mustang Bullitt, Saleen and Cobra R wheels in some cases stock the tire sizes 315/35/17, 275/40/17, 285/35/18 and 285/30/18. Good deals and tires are out there- and I always try to think "outside the box". I was taking my kids to the park, and I pass by a mom and pop tire service shop, and I stopped to take a look. They retailed Michelin and Pirelli tires on average about $35.00 to $50.00 bucks less than the large tire vendors. For wheels, those interested in Billet Specialties and Budnik wheels got to http://www.srbymichael.com. The website is Street Rods By Michael, look at the price difference there compared to Budnik and Billet Specialties direct. The more you look, the more you will find there are some options for Z owners.

If your goona go with the YZ's I've got some YZ qtrs I'm gonna be putting up for sale for $400. I bought them off evilrufuskay because I was planning on using them one day but I need the cash now. Never been installed. Also got A whale tail.

isk

isk' date=' please email me: [email']jkoh4580@gmail.com[/email] i will take them off your hands. :)

Mike... 13"!!! wow that would look amazing. i dont think i've seen a wheel that wide yet LOL. i talked to bill coffey and he recommended 12" for the YZ as well. he has 16x12 CCW's ... i'm contemplating whether i should go with 16, 17, or 18" diameter.. this car's "purpose" is for fun freeway driving on weekends but mostly autocrossing. any comments on what would be more beneficial?

My error Jaysz' date='

1010tires.com, add the "s" to tire. Also, they revamped there web page and they may have been down, but they have a pretty good old tire to new tire calculator.

Clifton,

I have found some Hankook Ventus sport K104 in the 285/30-18 size priced between $135.00 - $160.00 plus or minus shipping. I have also found that the vendors who sell Ford mustang Bullitt, Saleen and Cobra R wheels in some cases stock the tire sizes 315/35/17, 275/40/17, 285/35/18 and 285/30/18. Good deals and tires are out there- and I always try to think "outside the box". I was taking my kids to the park, and I pass by a mom and pop tire service shop, and I stopped to take a look. They retailed Michelin and Pirelli tires on average about $35.00 to $50.00 bucks less than the large tire vendors. For wheels, those interested in Billet Specialties and Budnik wheels got to http://www.srbymichael.com. The website is Street Rods By Michael, look at the price difference there compared to Budnik and Billet Specialties direct. The more you look, the more you will find there are some options for Z owners.[/quote']

thanks for the correction, i'll be keeping my eyes peeled for deals! :)

Guest iskone

Jaysz, You'll be hard pressed to find a 16" tire wide enough to run on the street I mean real hard pressed. Your only option in that wide a tire would be a DOT approved road racing slick something like AS304/RS304 Hoosiers.

Isk

BTW your PM'd

Jaysz' date=' You'll be hard pressed to find a 16" tire wide enough to run on the street I mean real hard pressed. Your only option in that wide a tire would be a DOT approved road racing slick something like AS304/RS304 Hoosiers.

Isk

[/quote']

A 315/30-18 tire has 3.7" of sidewall. That may be less than you want for any kind of street use - the ride will suffer the shorter you go in sidewall.

I'd go with a 315/35-17 before the 18". It has 4.3" of sidewall - you'll have a better ride and straightline traction. Plus they're cheaper :).

DOT racing tires are not a bad choice! I have Toyo Proxes RA-1's on my Z (got them before the 2003 Convention Track Day) and they still have more than 4/32" tread after 1 track day, 6 runs at the drag strip, beating on the car hard (tires spin easy, lot's of hard running and cornering on the street), and 3 or 4000 miles. I've heard good things about running Nitto Drag Radials for multi-purpose too!

Jaysz' date=' You'll be hard pressed to find a 16" tire wide enough to run on the street I mean real hard pressed. Your only option in that wide a tire would be a DOT approved road racing slick something like AS304/RS304 Hoosiers.

Isk

BTW your PM'd[/quote']

you are right.. that size tire is damn hard to find. i think bill has hoosiers on his 16x12.

Pete, i think i will take your advice and get the 17's and run the 315/35-17.. i heard Kumho Ecsta MX's are good for the money.

Isk.. will be calling you shortly,

Jason.

JaysZ,

I just got off the phone with CCW. Their customer service was awesome. They sell tires, too, and offer them at the Tire Rack price (+ mounting and balancing free). If you have specific questions regarding backspacing feel free to give them a call... John helped me quite a bit.