HybridZ

Any reason not to bid on this turbo?

jmark06

It looks like an XS power type from the compressor housing. Look around the net for pictures of those compressor housing falling apart because they are glued together. It might not be though, seller is careful not to give us a picture of the front that would have XS power cast into the housing or a tag saying such. I would ask for a pic of the front of the compressor.

I purchased one (found some others here with them too), haven’t hooked it up yet but I did take it apart (had to put some new bolts in the oil center section), I read what it says on "so you want a bigger turbo" about how it ate the compressor wheel and such, when I had mine apart it looked to fit very nice, spins freely (after some tweaking) and nothing (so far) rubs or touches.

I paid $300 for mine, if that goes for ~$200 and you want a super cheap turbo that may not last for a long time then I say pick it up, they may have fixed some of their common errors, like grinding the compressor wheel into the housing, mine apparently doesn’t do that but you never know till your running 25psi of boost on the sucker!

"dont buy it, those turbos are crap."

Does personal experience make you say that ihatejoefitz? Or you just talking based on what you’ve seen from others?

If you got the money I would get basically the same thing but Garrett, I found the cheapest was $550.00 for the same spec unit, but a real Garrett.

http://www.speedshopthagard.com/garrett/T3TO4E.html

$550 is a lot more then $200 but if you were me, $550 isn’t much more then $300 and would be worth the wait, I’m shooting myself in the foot for buying one of those XS-Power units but it does appear to be a fairly decent turbo, maybe I'll be the first to get one running with some success.

if you got the money I would get basically the same thing but Garrett' date=' I found the cheapest was $550.00 for the same spec unit, but a real Garrett, rebuilt never the less.

http://www.speedshopthagard.com/garrett/T3TO4E.html

I'm pretty sure your not correct in stating the turbo in James website is a rebuilt turbo....

"dont buy it' date=' those turbos are crap."

Does personal experience make you say that ihatejoefitz? Or you just talking based on what you’ve seen from others?

QUOTE']

my friend ran one on a rebuilt 2nd gen rx-7 and it blew up on the break in period. (when he couldnt even go above 4k RPM.)

The new ones look diffrent then the above picture, most likley just the branding on the outside.

J. Soileau 74260zt I'll edit my post, was under the impression they were rebuilt (must have read it from another site), going to try and order one much sooner now :)

** Anyone ever stick a screen in their i/c tube? hehe dont want to shoot some metal shavings into my i/c when/if this then eats it up, or whatever happens, id just not stick it in but then thats $300 of boredness, might as well see what it does at 25psi and 6k :)

Thanks 240Z Turbo! I read that from another site (was browsing both at the same time) and got it confused, updated my above post with it as well, since their new I really am ancy to pick one up, now I need to plan a little more (want 3" everywhere) so Im stuck with the above, atleast to get the car going :)

• 1 month later...

I think the best deal I have ever found for buying a Hybrid turbo is on Sandrailparts.com. I dont know if their prices have gone up or not but I picked it up for 475 bucks two years ago. I think that was the best deal going!