HybridZ

New meaning to "$2 Dollar Bill"

CruxGNZ

see another prime example how the great big machine that is our government is trying to jack us for the sheep that most of us are.

Where did this rant come from? It was a teenage clerk and a store manager at Best Buy! When big government showed up (the Secret Service) the problem was solved.

Guest Phil1934

And technically it was not legal tender. Legal tender is spelled out as to the maximum number of coins and bills to use for a debt. That's why you can't push a wheelbarrow of pennies into traffic court.

This is rediculous. Taking an ex-cop to jail for using legitimate currency? Educating the clerk and manager as to their ignorance of the $2 bill, how it just wasted fed agents time/money, etc would've been a more appropriate solution IMO. I thought those counterfeit detecting pens were idiot-proof, leave it to super-idiots to invent a loophole.

And technically it was not legal tender. Legal tender is spelled out as to the maximum number of coins and bills to use for a debt. That's why you can't push a wheelbarrow of pennies into traffic court.

Yeah, I knew there was something on the books that kept the vendor able to reject pocket change, but this isn't anywhere near as tedious a situation to count the money.

I personally hope that this guy sues that Best Buy for defamation(sp?) of character and wins! I hate stupid people and obviously the people that work at this Best Buy are STUPID! If you don’t know that $2 bills are a legal currency then you shouldn’t be working behind a cash register! :twak:

Guy

Dont know if there are any NASCAR fans here, but does anyone remember when Rusty Wallace paid a fine, thousands and thousand of dollars, dont remember the number, in pennies!?!? It was delivered in armor cars full of bags of pennies, im not sure if they took it or not...

Larry Flint paid a $10,000 a day contempt of court fine to the US Supreme court fine in pennies, all while wearing a US flag as a diaper.

I tried to buy a TV from Best Buy for my wife's minivan using $550 in quarters. They were in these mini M&M containers. The clerk was going for it, even had two other guys over to help count, when a store manager came by. Each M&M container held exactly $14 worth of quarters. The manager didn't trust that and wanted the clerks to count the quarters 1 at a time. Pisser. Took me over a year to save that many quarters.

BTW, there is a Skagsville Maryland also. Right over near Pete Paraska's house.

Guest Aaron

I remember a case reported on the radio several years a go where a guy tried to buy a car with nickels. I think they were already rolled up. The dealer refused to take them. He sued the dealer, and the court ruled that the nickels were legal US currency, and the dealer had to accept them if they accepted any US currency.

Guest Phil1934

From my old college text

Legal tender

silver coins of a dollar or more in any amount

silver coins of less than $1 up to $10

nickels and pennies up to $0.25

Paper money, while not strictly speaking, is legal tender, in any amount

So I guess he was OK

I would not have gone down without a fight.... then I would recoup any fines and or additional jail time by sueing the **** out of Best BUY. I WILL NOT be wrongly arrested without a major fight. I will beat the **** out of the security guard/cop before I go anywhere under those circumstances.

Citizens of this country should not allow themselves to be arrested for dumass shiat like this....It is worth the battle and the bruises. I have done it before and gotten away scott free.....the officer and I suffered from a few injuries...but I guarantee the officer has more respect for his fellow citizens now. Just dont get your *** shot when his backup arrives.

If you fight being arrested, then they have a ligitimate reason to arrest you, and any sympathy you might have gained from the judge is out.

I expect clerks and managers to sometimes be idiots, but I think the cops in this case are the ones who were the real stooges. They basically bullied and harassed a paying customer on the say-so of the store manager. Isn't part of their job recognizing the difference between crime and non-crime?

My friends and I have sort of an inside joke about Best Buy employees after an experience we had there, heres what happened:

We went to apply for a job there once, and were told to take a "phone interview" which was an automated questionaire that determines if you are worthy of being hired there. Basically, they asked if you EVER did ANYTHING wrong, like steal a grape from the grocery store, and if you told the truth and said yes, you wouldn't get the job (who are they kidding, EVERYONE has done something like that in their life). So basically, we figured they don't want HONEST people to work there, only those who are willing to lie in the phone interview....maybe they give you a raise if you lie and cheat more.... and having innocent customers arrested, boy that must mean a promotion is in order!