HybridZ

Battery tray replacement options

Zerrari GTO

The last bit of work I have to do on my shell is replace the battery tray. The origional one was shot so I need to replace the whole thing. I have called salvage yards who will cut one out of a Z for me but I would rather have a new (no rust) OEM looking tray. Does anyone know of another type of car(s) having replacement trays available that will work (look right) on a Z car?

What Tim Said...

Someone in Zcar land is a step-by-step on how I repaired one on a 260Z... But the right answer is to move the battery elsewhere so you can get better weight ditribution.

I'm getting ready to move the latest Zs battery to a space behind the passenger seat since I cut out the storage boxes. I'd like to keep the weight lower in the chassis if possible!

Mike

What I have now is a 2nd gen RX7 gas tank w/heat shields for dual exhaust. The tank is centered in the rear of the car and with the duals it does not look like I will be able to do a "drop down" type of battery box in the rear. The body kit is a Velo Rossa so with bracing and a spare there will be little room in the trunk (convertible top will fill up behind the seats).

I would like the battery in the back but I'm not sure it's possible.

My fuel cell is centered in the car as well. Unfortunately, the 20 gal. Summit cell is so large, I couldn't do a recessed tray either. I'm planning on doing a surface mount tray in the trunk similar to how Fiat Spiders have them. I'm also not planning on carrying a spare.

Take a look at the size specs on the Odyssey batteries. You can probably fit one in one of the storage boxes behind the seats with some modifications like Mike was talking about.

What I have now is a 2nd gen RX7 gas tank w/heat shields for dual exhaust. The tank is centered in the rear of the car and with the duals it does not look like I will be able to do a "drop down" type of battery box in the rear. The body kit is a Velo Rossa so with bracing and a spare there will be little room in the trunk (convertible top will fill up behind the seats).

I would like the battery in the back but I'm not sure it's possible.

The Odyssey 680MJT will fit under the passenger seat, behind the passenger seat, or in the bin that held the jack. It's only 7-1/16" x 2- 15/16" x 7-3/16":D !

I checked out the Odyssey website. How much $$$ are those little gems? (no pricing on the website).

I just bought mine from this Ebayer... I'd email him and see what he can do for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7967664868&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

j.

Yep that is the name of the company. 1-928-771-2590 Their #901020 box fits perfect between the front gas tank support frame and the one over the mustache bar and to the right of the wheel well support. I totally removed the wheel well, so you might have to cut a small corner into the wheel well. The box is 7" wide 7.5" high and 9.75 long. The group 42 battery drops in from the top.

Bill

PS My 250 GTO got the Past President's Choice trophy at Knott's this weekend out of 250 cars!