HybridZ

To use triple carbs or not..that is the question!!

Guest Stoker3.0Z

• Administrators
I will say from hundreds of hours looking out the back window of a 69 Corvair with a Single SU Drawthrough Turbo Setup on it, that "tuning" of an SU's fuel delivery is far from easy if you alter from a factory R&D'd needle taper!

You had a Corvair?

I had a 66 Corsa 180hp... you know Turbo baby!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DoTheDrew888
Originally Posted by bastaad525

I don't care what engine goes in a Z, if it improves the performance that's all that matters.

Preach it!! I agree with you on that one.

Guest bastaad525

And Honda I KNOW used an SU styled FEEDBACK variable venturi carburettor design. Saw it in the junkyard (dual SU's!) on the Accord I believe' date=' and this was in the 80's.

[/quote']

GAWD those carbs are AWFUL! My wife and also a good friend of mind both had early 90's Preludes with those dual sidedraft POS's... shops hate them, honda techs hate them, and after only limited experiences with mundane work on them, *I* hate them!

on the prelude they are backed RIGHT up against the firewall... you can barely get the air cleaner and cover off!

sucky pieces of crap... anyone with those needs to chuck them for EFI....

You had a Corvair?

I had a 66 Corsa 180hp... you know Turbo baby!

That's "Had" AND "Have" Back in 79 I spent months getting a turbo converted 69 Monza up to snuff, and back in 89 I bought my wife a 66 Corvair Corsa Turbo which is still around the yard today!

Back in 79, we were running 17psi and eating F-Bodies all over the State of Michigan! LOL

And Back in the late 60s in Calif. there was a little BMW 700 would eat the Turbo Corvairs alive in road racing. I saw this BMW 700 with a BMW factory sidecar motorcycle 1000 cc two cylinder engine not only beat the heck out of the Turbo Corvairs but also Micky Tompsons 289 Falcon and every other sedan out there and he started with the small sedans in the back of the field!

But what does this have to do with Triple Carbs? The BMW had Motor Cycle Carbs simular to SUs, if I remember right there were large Delortos.

Nothing. It digressed.

To make it "Hybrid Qualified" I'll add that the next project after that 69 Monza Turbo Conversion was a Crown Corv-8 Conversion on a 65 Corsa 140! Used a Corvetter 327 in that thing.

Cop stopped by (small town) and wondered what the hell we were doing "trying to put that engine in through the passenger door?"

When he came up on the driveway and realized there was no back seat, and that we were trying to pilot the thing into a bellhousing he went and wrote down the license plate number on his notepad. Simply said "This will save some time, I bet..." and walked away muttering something about "Insane Kids"...

The V8 was easier than angle-milling the heads and the expense of sourching the Dual-Three Barrel IDA's! So that is a "dual triple" that came into the discussion. Back on topic now, I swear!

• 4 months later...