HybridZ

Rear control arm

I just have a quick question about my rear control arms on my 75 280. I am trying to remove the rear struts and springs to install coilovers. I have already removed both nuts on each end of the rear control arm but now there is a lock nut in the middle. One side is complete with the nut on the bottom the other side does not have this nut and the bolt that slides through is out far enough that the bottom side is flush. My question is do I just hammer these out? or is there some other way to remove these? I would hate to start pounding away on them and break something. Just a little guidance please.

Bob

Sounds like you are pulling the spindle pins. STOP now. Search for spindle pin in this forum and read all about what you are doing before you go any further. This is one of the few things on a Z that is a real PITA. You might want to check on the spindle pin tool program and see if that tool is still floating around.

If you don't need to change the outer control arm bushings you might consider just removing the whole A arm and strut and working with the whole piece. No real need to take the strut off the control arm other than it's a little easier to work on.

Why is it such a PITA? I need to take the strut tubes to a shop get the lower perch welded on for the coilovers. If it is easier to just take the whole control arm off than I am all for it...I'm just not too sure how well the welder will like it. I really would like to remove the strut assembly from the control arm. I guess I just don't understand what makes it such a problem. Sorry if these seem like stupid questions I am kind of learning as I go.

Thanks,

Bob

Sounds like you are pulling the spindle pins. STOP now. Search for spindle pin in this forum and read all about what you are doing before you go any further. This is one of the few things on a Z that is a real PITA. You might want to check on the spindle pin tool program and see if that tool is still floating around.

If you don't want or have time to find a spindle tool you can do the same thing with a stack of washers and 3/4 inch nuts. It's slower but will remove the pin in the same manner. 12 AM the night before a race will make you resourceful :-)

Cary

It's a PITA because the pin rusts inside the strut housing all the way down the whole length. Hammering on it screws up the pin and usually doesn't get it out. A press might work, but I was unable to press my really stuck one out with a 12 ton press. I called a bunch of shops in the area here and NOBODY wanted to mess with them.

The puller tool works pretty well, but you need to see if it is around anymore and get on the waiting list for it. Search spindle pin though and you'll find tons of info on why it is such a PITA. Forrest was managing the tool loaner program, so you might PM him to see if the tools are still out there.

That page is great thanks Jaime. The part that I am referring to is the spindle pin lock bolt. I will read on this board more about the spindle because I don't understand why it is so difficult. Thanks for the replies.

Bob

The lock bolt part is not a PITA. Loosen the nut till it is flush with the bottom of the threads, give it a good whack, and then when it breaks loose pull the nut and washers off and push it through and out the top. It is what comes immediately after that (getting the pin out) that is the trouble maker.

I would love to be able to use the original perches. Does that really line the sleeves up in the right places? I may just drop the whole control arm so that I can get to everything a little better. If I don't need to take the tubes to have new perches welded on than I may not have to worry about the spindles after all. Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all the responses. I have been reading these boards since 2001 dreaming about getting an old Z car and the support from the Z community is one of the major reasons why.

Thanks again,

Bob