HybridZ

What am i doing wrong on timing?

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

Alright, we just assembled the L28 today, we've rotated the entire assembly and checked to make sure it doesn't interfere anywhere, and it doesn't. We were going to put the dizzy on to set it where it needs to be for proper ignition timing, we installed the timing degree plate on the right hand (driverside) of the crank pulley, then rotated it to 0 degrees, that doesn't put piston 1 at TDC though (piston closest to water pump), so we then instead rotated the cam markings untill they were aligned @ TDC on #1, which now places the crank pulley way off to the left of the timing mark of 0... so we dunno if we placed the placard for timing degree's in the wrong spot, or if we dicked up the order of operations or what... photos are attached if anyone has a guess as to what we did wrong, as i said before, we did the chain to the proceadure in the FSM, dimples on crank and cam pulleys to the 2 lighter/unique links in the timing chain, and we've rotated it fully a number of times and verified that the valves do not hit the pistons, it's just this last little issue that's holding us up...

ideas welcome...

dsc033714nm.th.jpg

dsc033543xw.th.jpg

Guest 73Turbo240z

hmmm... someone mind digging up a photo of there L28 crank pulley area w/ the timing plate mounted? perhaps i'm just being blind cause we didn't see a workable mounting solution on the passenger side, but then again we might have been using the L24 plate.. either way a pic should resolve this easily.

L24 has a pointer and the L28 has a thing that looks like a sawblade with a bunch of teeth and also has number stamped on it. This is because the L28 has a single mark on the crank pulley and the L24 has a bunch of marks on the pulley.

At least that is the way it works with NA engines.

As previously mentioned the 280 Z will have the saw tooth marker plate mounted on the passenger side with two bolts to the aluminum timing chain cover...The two required different sized bolts for the timing maker are seperated in distance by about two inches...and the outer timing marker larger bolt is also utilized as a timing chain cover bolt..... ............................with the two bright links of the timing chain on the corresponding cam and crankshaft at TDC the notch in the cam sprocket should show a witness line on the cam tower. All the Z's and L 20 B engines were always timed from the passenger side and the older ones as Mr. Mortenson explained have the single pointer mounted to the timing chain cover with the crankshaft pulley notched for timing marks.And as Thumper opines: "you may have the 240 pointer on the wrong side of the 280 timing chain cover"

Guest 73Turbo240z

alright, i took photos of where the plate was, as you can see it is the "saw" faced plate, i also shot photos of the other side, w/ the plate detached, so you can see what i have to work with, nothing lines up...

click the thumbnails for larger res images...

dsc035568io.th.jpg

as i had it, clearly not working

dsc035618fe.th.jpg

another view of how i had it...

dsc035632dh.th.jpg

photo of the work area, anyone care to shoot a photo of there L28's timing mark up close so i can see for myself? the one angelfire link didn't have any closeups i could use.

Guest DoTheDrew888

Well, it looks like you have the wrong little plate. On mine the plate is larger and bolts to the hole closest to your thumb and the hole close to you index finger in the last picture. Obviously the hole on the bottom of the plate is bigger than the hole on the top of the plate because the bolt is larger on the bottom. I would suggest going to a scrap yard and pulling a plate off of a 280ZX.

Here's a shot of mine. Unfortunately, I just put the radiator back in a few nights ago and couldn't get a better angle.

IMG_1113.sized.jpg

It does look like your pointer is reversed from what I have.

The problem with my car is that it's been bastardized. 260 chassis, 280 motor and 240 intake/carbs. So, I can't say for sure where my pointer came from.

Guest 73Turbo240z

well it just got more complicated, i found the other timing plate, except it too... doesn't line up with the holes, i'll have some photos of it tommorow... this is getting quite frustrating.

I scavenge TURBO indicators wherever I can get them. They are degreed to 30.

When I set up the engine, and am in the process of verifying TDC with the indicator on the piston top, I have ALWAYS aligned the marker I bolted onto the engine and a mark I MADE by filing into the pulley.

Sometimes the mark from the factory is close, other times not. Expecially on Chevy's and used pulleys meaning the elastomer is going out.

In either case, you can verify TDC with the head on through #1 spark plug hole, and mark YOUR pulley according to wherever your timing marker SHOULD BE.

Even with the old 240 style "Pin Marker" with a dial in advance timing light, you can still set whatever timing (initial or total) that you want using this method.

In some cases I have made a pointer out of welding rod and a piece of sheetmetal. It doesn't matter what indicator you use, it matters that the mark on the pulley is CORRECTLY ALIGNED.