HybridZ

L28 Turbo headers?

rayaapp2

What's available in the aftermarket community? Am I stuck with having a custom header built?

Having a custom header wouldn't be so bad... I could space the turbo away from the intake manifold...

Just curious if someone offers them already.

Nobody offers them afaik. Custom header would help alot as the manifold is unevenly spaced and the front cylinders have to blow through a 2" or so spaced. Definitely room for improvement. Only person I know to have one made for his car was like 1800.00, but it was an equal length ss crazy octopus looking thing and he made 400hp@ 1 bar. Built engine and motec, of course.

You can find them sometimes on japanese yahoo, but its a gamble since they are RHD.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a SS turbo manifold for my car. I couldn't find anything out there. There was a group purchase from South Florida Performance (SFP) I believe, some guys (and girls) here have them. They are a Semi-log style. You may be able to find one for sale.

Cartech still lists a log-style manifold for the L-series in cast.

A custom manifold will probably run more than that, as there is no demand for them.

Doug

I'm working on a SS turbo manifold for my car. I couldn't find anything out there. There was a group purchase from South Florida Performance (SFP) I believe' date=' some guys (and girls) here have them. They are a Semi-log style. You may be able to find one for sale.

Cartech still lists a log-style manifold for the L-series in cast.

A custom manifold will probably run more than that, as there is no demand for them.

Doug[/quote']

J-Taylor had a SFP header, It was horrible. The Flange had rust pits all in it and it would not come CLOSE to bolting up. He sent it back to them and months later he gets it back and it STILL would not fit. If you could maybe get with James Thagard @ http://www.speedshopthagard.com He might help out in the header dept.He has built some awesome headers among a ton of other cool things. It would be awesome to have one. but for me Cost is too great. Maybe one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there guys, well I also got a SFP header for my car and it was a disaster from day one. I had to totally rework the part to get it to fit my application in the first place. Then I got it on the car and ran it for about 100 miles. The header cracked. I took it off and in the process of removing the header it was also warped about .250 from end to end. I called Frank and explained the problem to him. I sent it back for rework, including the coating color. When I got it back the header was still warped just as bad as it was before. The crack was repaired. The coating, well there again, the coater did not remove the first coating that was coming off in the hottest spots but rather just coated over the first coating with Black like I wanted in the first place.

I called Frank again and called him on the repair, he wanted me to send it back in again.

I decided to do the work myself, so I made a fixture, bolted it down and heated the piss out of it trying to get the pipes and flange to settle. Then I took it to a machine shop and paid 200 to have it resurfaced again. I haven't gotten the car running yet to test out my work on the unit.

All I have to say about the whole thing is that I wish I had the equipment to do the work myself, this header has been a total pain in the butt, and I am not confident it is going to stay good so we will see what happens.

I'm with you on that Jeff....I have not bolted mine up to my car and in fact just took it out of the box last night and in an attempt to get me motivated to get it on the car....I am biting my lower lip on it as I have not heard too many success stories with these headers and we paid a premium for them...UG!

Yasin