HybridZ

350Z taught a lesson via 1st gen ZX

EZ-E

[quote name=SportZ2

And one other note' date=' the 280ZX was not a first generation Z car. Am I missing something?

QUOTE]

He said first gen ZX, not first gen Z, so i suppose a 280zx is a first gen ZX, although im not sure if his 82 would be, isnt the body on the on the later ZXs diff from say the 79?

I dont know about you, but I cant wait to get my hands on a 350z.

I'm with you on that fl327. I'm waiting till I can pick one up for under 20k then I may snatch one up for my daily driver. Gotta keep up with icice...lol. I would have to consider a WRX though.

Anyways, nice run EZ-E. With your setup you won't have any problems with 350Zs on the street.

in dec. of 04, I had a standing signed dealer quote for a brand new 04 350z base model for $24,700 out the door, tagged, titled, registered. Invoice price was 24,800

I didn't get it though, but I did some damn good arguing :)

[quote=SportZ2

And one other note' date= the 280ZX was not a first generation Z car. Am I missing something?

QUOTE]

He said first gen ZX, not first gen Z, so i suppose a 280zx is a first gen ZX, although im not sure if his 82 would be, isnt the body on the on the later ZXs diff from say the 79?

82 bodies are only slightly different. Other differences are rear brakes, engine, bumpers, and a few others probably.

Mario

Wow this really turned into a discussion. I have to agree, the 350Z looks drives and feels nice, and it wasnt meant to bash the 350Z at all but just the mentallity of the dirver.

All I wanted to do was to say hey nice ride and isnt this cool, a Datsun 280ZX and a new 350Z at the same light, what are the chances. He just blew me off like I was some sort of lowly ricer and didnt even have a clue as to the fact that I was driving one of the cars from his cars history

Like I said the car had some unbelievable grunt for an N/A six. I was quite impressed with its power and how it seems to just glide across the road.

Ive watched several events on tv which do show that the 350Z is quite a capable racer in autox, and if anyone thinks differently then they havent been watching the tv.

If I had the extra cash I would definetly buy one for myself. Of that there is no doubt.

Regardless of the 350z's platform, I'd still take the G35. I didn't really care for neither at first, but I've learned to accept the 350z, and learned to LOVE the G35. I've never favored the looks of a 2+2 over a coupe, but this is definately one exception to the rule. Anyways, I really don't get any recognition from other 350z drivers either. But then again, I don't even get any love from the s130 drivers around here either. So far, the only one to compliment me on my '72 was a guy in a mid-90's Mustang Cobra!

last summer at redding california drag strip i watched a subaru wrx wagon beat a 350z buy .1 sec..it surprised me.but it was about 105 degrees out-it sucked for drag racing that night.if i was buying a 350z i would get the track edition with the brembo brakes.but i would have to drive other cars if i was shopping in that price range.cars picked-zo6 vette,porsche boxter s(used),honda s2000(put about 30 miles on 1-a very handy sized car),rx8(just to see what its about,subaru wrx sti-already drove one-not much car for the money-comes with no radio.the honda handles like a surgical instrument.

i was buying a 350z i would get the track edition with the brembo brakes

I thought that too but after doing some research I changed my mind.

The VLSD gives up after a few hard laps at a race track.

The Track model comes with some wacky kind of yaw/skid control that doesn't completely go away. Fine for a street car but not nice on a race track.

Talking with my contacts at Brembo revealed that Brembo does stock or sell any of the parts Nissan uses in their Track model brake system. You have to buy those parts through Nissan. Now, maybe if you could figure out the cross reference between the Nissan and Brembo part numbers...

So, at least for my plans, I would be removing the items I paid extra for on the Track model.

Guest iskone
they're not even that fast... I was very dissapointed in their performance #'s when they first came out... 290hp in a 3400lb car just isn't enough... heck a Dodge SRT-4 will give one a run for it's money' date=' and they have quite a bit less hp... a stock WRX is pretty close as well and that has even LESS hp.

It's weird because so many magazines have proclaimed the 350 Z to be this big 'performance bargain' and it's like... yeah right... for about the same price as the better trim level 350's (Track, Enthusiast) you can pick up a Mitsu Evo or Subie STi and absolutely SPANK the Z's *** in every respect.

I beat the crap out of a new 350z convertible that didn't even have plates yet in my 240 right after putting the turbo motor... the motor was so shot I was blowing massive amounts of oil smoke every time I touched the throttle, and I was running 10psi of boost (yes I wasn't too concerned about worsening the motors condition!). Anyways I literally 'smoked' that guy! And he at least still had the courtesy to give me the thumbs up and at the next light ask some questions... he at least knew what the car was and such and wanted to know what was under the hood. Usually though 300zx and 350z owners give NO recognition to older Z's... I get more respect from ricer kids who are all into drifting and have seen old Z's in various Japanese cartoons or japanese magazines.[/quote']

I think your dead on with that statement. The 350Z & 300ZX guys in my area don't know sh!t. But all the ricer kids love my car and a bunch of old guys too. I think the 350Z & 300ZX crowd in my area are a bunch of young punks who get taking in by the magz and get schooled by my 240. This of course is all in general. And for the record I'm concidered a young punk by some old timers at 24yo. but you get the point. I know cars and respect what others have done for the love of a wrench, they don't.

Also most of the rice guys I've talked too actually know about engines and aren't full of BS. Well, maybe about half the guys I talk too.

Isk

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 260ondubs

I'd love one with a twin-turbo kit. Visibility and seat position (overall feel of the car) is really nice. Really comfortable. I also can't afford one, maybe never will (until they are all junk hehe).

1st Gen Zed's always give me the wave, most 2nd gens too, a few Z32, but Z31's and Z35's show no love whatsoever......

Most of all, it's the people in the street that yell out and smile/wave.