HybridZ

Thoughts on bike delivery?

auxilary

I am picking up a 97 yzf600r shortly, but it's in San Diego, and I'm in SF bay area. exact address to exact address it's about 480 miles. so I'm looking at 2 options:

1. fly down for 70 bucks funfaire via southwest to SD on june 18th, 8:30, get bike stuff sorted out, leave by around...11am maybe. ride back, without major stops it'd take me 8 hours.

total cost: 35 bucks in gas + 70 for plane

pro: All done in 1 day.

con: 8 hour bike ride in hot weather, possibility of a breakdown or mechanical failure in middle of nowhere.

2. rent a chevy colorado from enterprise with unlimited miles here, drive it TO SD saturday, crash at friend's place, load up bike, drive it back. They won't do 1 way drop off from SD to Bay Area

total cost: 130+ misc fees for truck rental with unlimited miles for 2 days, at 22mpg on freeway, ~1000 miles = 45 gallons = 113 bucks in gas at 2.50/gallon. So 243 for round trip for everything

pro: AC, no worries about bike mechanical failures on the road, comfort

con: more costly, especially in terms of gas costs. will take up the whole weekend to do this.

Thoughts?

Rent the truck. That is a long haul on a bike, I don't care how hard core the rider is. Fatigue begets accidents. It is gonna be more comfotable like you said.

Plus...you go to the yard and pull all those GT parts and drop them off at my place :-D:twisted:

Either way you do it, if you need a watering hole, my place is very easy on/off the 405.

Tim

Are you getting any spares with the bike, that can be brought back by riding the bike?

Personally, I would opt. for #2. To be honest, if you can't afford the extra $150, maybe a bike is not a good option in the first place. They are expensive, especially when considering maintenance, tires, gear, etc.

It is a sure bet, and will make the trip more enjoyable.

Joshua

First congrat's on the soon to be new bike! As for getting it home, I don't konw about you but I like peace of mind. 8 hours on a bike is a long time to have to listen to that little voice in your head saying "please don't break down, please".

On that note, driving down will also give you a little time to hang out in SD and check out all the hot college cuties! Plus they'll think you're a super stud in the rental truck with a sport bike in the back!

Also, BTW....does that $70 plane ticket include all the extra taxes, fees, and airport fees? I bet that ticket ends up being $100+....

Then, unless the dude is picking you up from Lindbergh Field, you will need taxi fare. Another Also: What if the bike is not exactly as descibed (yeah, that never happens :icon8: ). You will need to fly back.....all of a sudden the truck is cheaper.

jaime: Well, my gf might get upset and hit me for oggling too much. A little is ok with her though. I used to own the exact same bike about 3 years ago, so I still have my leathers. As far as the condition of the bike, I know its current and previous owners and the history about 4 years back. The owner's also a buddy of mine, and if I was to fly in, he'd be picking me up at SAN. I was in SD back in March, and I saw the bike in person quite a few times

I also ordered a touring windshield just incase I did decide to ride it back, that way I'd be less fatigued. However, the heat might do me in.

Tim, thanks for the offer. I have a few friends in SD, so I'd be crashing with one of them. As for the plane tickets, that's southwest's "FUN FARE" which are non-refundable, special deal, limited seating and include all extra fees in the bundle. Ups and downs on that one.

About the Gt... the 2nd time i was planning to go back to the JY, that whole week was rained out with the storm :(

OK, better idea. Seller's roommate is my friend, and he's coming up to get a 72 plymouth fury from a mutual friend. He'll rent a 1500 series chevy, tow bike up here, rent a tow dolly, and take the fury back with him. I'll split the cost, and it's a door to door delivery since he'll be crashing at my place :)

Sounds like a "Git er done" deal. I was gonna offer up my place as a potential watering hole also, since I'm only about 400 yards off the I-15. Anyhoo, good luck with the bike. Tim, what GT parts did you need? I have some spare time this weekend and might be able to pick them up depending on location.

Mike