HybridZ

Would this work as a parking brake?

I was just thinking tonight about how everyone hates the parking brake set ups on the 280ZX's. I was watching RIDES tonight on TV and when they put a front brake set up on the rear it eliminated the parking brake, it was all for show so they didnt really care but that got me thinking....

What if you installed a valve between the master cylinder and the line going back to the rear brakes? Then you could step on the brake pedal to apply pressure to the rear brakes, turn the valve closed, and then release the brake pedal. That should hold pressure on the rear brakes right?

What do you guys think? Would this in theory work? :weird:

Guy

Guest iskone

That sounds like a line lock to me. As far as know a few guys use them it's evenwhat Dave at AZC suggests if you want a parking brake.

If your talking about another set of calipers then look at live axle setups, start with Currie and if that doesn't work ask the guys at www.pro-touring.com

Edit: Ok I remember what I was talking about now for a set of calipers. Well maybe not but here is what some live axle guys use

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Pages/10/index.asp

Isk

I have a line lock on my front brakes, and we all know how well that works as an emergency brake!!!!! :icon52:

Heheheh, did you have yours on when "the incident" happend? If so what do you think happend? Did the pressure just bleed off?

Guy

any pressure that can last 24 hours on a caliper piston seal is a bad idea. No matter how nice of seals you got eventually something is going to leak. Any way line lock i would assume is okay if you set it low. But the reason you dont want to get rid of a parking brake is b/c parking brakes mechanically push the piston against the disk. Ive had e-brake cables snap just for normal use.... so if you use line lock make sure you leave that **** in 1st or R! and yes i would make my e-brake on the front in that case, for burn outs :).

Interesting statement about pressure on a caliper for 24 hrs. Should not be a problem! Brake systems are nothing more than a basic hydraulic system. I would think, that if your calipers are leaking after 24 hrs of pressure, you may want to rebuild them.

this is true. I was just trying to kind of point out that the calipers were designed to apply pressure for a relatively small amounts of time. I would think that having many psi on the piston seals for consecutive days would not do good things as far as keeping the fluid in. Even if it only leeks one drop after a month or two, thats still to much for me :). But as far as using it as a parking brake, elimitinating the mechanical option in case of brake failiure for whatever reason doesnt seem to make sense to me

Interesting statement about pressure on a caliper for 24 hrs. Should not be a problem! Brake systems are nothing more than a basic hydraulic system. I would think, that if your calipers are leaking after 24 hrs of pressure, you may want to rebuild them.

24 hours maybe, but 48? 72? Brake fluid is incompressible so even a drop or two of leakage, or temperature changes, can cause the calipers to relax. I would imagine the problem is vastly compounded by stainless steel brake lines since you will no longer have the flex in the rubber lines to maintain the pressure.

Line locks are good for burnouts, but IMO there are an extremely bad idea for anything else. Don't try to use them for a parking brake.

Also I don't think anyone is purposely eliminating mechanical parking brakes. The problem is a number of big brake kits don't have any provisions for a parking brake.

This is an excerpt from my Brake kit FAQ's page http://www.arizonazcar.com/brakekitfaqs.html'>http://www.arizonazcar.com/brakekitfaqs.html

Question: Why don't your kits include an emergency brake?

Answer: Nissan's have never been equipped with an emergency brake.....they have a parking brake.

Question: Same thing aren't they?

Answer: No not at all, An emergency brake means that if you're going 65 MPH down the road up to a red light and you have complete failure of the front brakes and also complete failure of the rear brakes you can pull the emergency brake and stop in time before the intersection. If you believe the hand brake will stop you in that situation then ..........tooth fairy, Brooklyn bridge, check's in the mail (pick one).

There were emergency brakes on cars in the 1920's

Question: How about a parking brake then?

Answer: I have a hydraulic line-lock to serve the parking brake function.

Question: But I live in San Francisco and have to park at the top of a hill pointed downhill and I go

out of town for a month at a time.

Answer: Get a brick.

http://www.arizonazcar.com

ARIZONA Z CAR

2043 E. QUARTZ ST.

MESA AZ 85213

Phone 480-844-9677

E-mail dave@arizonazcar.com

Dave

Chuck Beck who builds a highly successful replica of the 550 Porsche Spyder places an inline brake lock that leads to the rear drum brakes.. This is not a legal parking brake and over a period of time dependability maybe sacrificed.. In theory a great idea but in practice.........................................a poor substitute for a permanent parking brake.........Tim do not flair those fenders.......................get another body