HybridZ

Are both these CV's 280ZXT or is one of them a 300ZXT?

pjo046

I bought a bunch of stuff from Bad Dog Zparts. A rebuilt T5, an R200, a pair of reconditioned CV halfshafts etc. Well, when looking at the CV's, I noticed that they were not identical. I tried them on the Modern Motorsport CV adapters, and only one of them fit. The other one almost fit, but the diameter was a bit to large.

Look at these pictures:

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=2779&cat=530&page=1

The one on the left is the one that fit the adapter, so that is definately a 280ZXT CV halfshaft.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=2780&cat=530&page=1

The one on top is the 280ZXT CV halfshaft. What is the other one?

Can I use the other one, or will I need a new 280ZXT halfshaft?

I couldn't tell you from looking at them however, I believe I read that the 280ZX cv's are a three ball set-up and the 300ZX CV's are a five ball set-up. Apperently, the 300ZX CV's can handle more torque. If you search the archives, I think you may find pics for each one.

The CVs from the 280ZXT are not identical either. One is longer than the other. This is from memory I think the R200 bulges out on the passenger side and therefore the shorter axle should go on the passenger side. The longer one goes on the driver side. You need to find out which CV you have. The one on the right or bottom looks like a 300ZX CV and again if you want to use that you need to find out if it's the one you need (short or long). Otherwise if you put a short axle on the driver side it will pop in and out of your rearend unnescesarily. I've been hearing people using the 300ZX CVs with Ross's adaptors but I've never seen it. From my memory of junk yard days the 300ZX CVs are a bit longer than the 280ZXT CVs. My suggestion to you would be trying to get the 280ZXT CVs for the side that you are missing. GL

In the first pic showing the six holes, those are the same 280zxt outers, with two different style end caps applied on them. I got ahold of both kinds myself from a axle guy once... same part, one uses a shorter return spring, thats all...

As far as the inboard stubs, I will go with what was sugested in the post above (as I know one is longer on one side than the other on my R200 )

The mystery axle reminds me of the CV axle from the front of a 4x4 Nissan truck or Pathfinder. Flat dust cover on the diff end, a tripod bearing on the diff side and a Rzeppa joint on the wheel side.

You do live in Norway, so it could be a Nissan axle that we Americans are not familiar with.

Zcarnut:

Well, I got it from america.

J. Soileau:

Yes that was my thought as well. But you see, the one with the flat end doesn't quite fit on the CV adapter. It's diameter is just a tad to big. Do you think I can just grind that down a bit then?

Zcarnut:

Well' date=' I got it from america.

J. Soileau:

Yes that was my thought as well. But you see, the one with the flat end doesn't quite fit on the CV adapter. It's diameter is just a tad to big. Do you think I can just grind that down a bit then?[/quote']

Humm.... I dunno my friend, you'll have to make that call. I can't see how it would hurt to try that, as long as it is kept fairly round...

I believe the 300zx turbo and na axles had different bolt patterns. If I remember correctly, the 300zx turbo was a 4 bolt and the na was a 6 bolt. The 300zx axles are also longer than the 280zxt axles I believe. My guess would be the longer one is the 84-86 300zx na.

I was big into z31's a few years back and I used to know all this at the time. It has been a few years since I have messed with them much so I could be wrong. :)

JT

looks like Viscous LSD shafts wither from the 88ss (Z31) or a 240sx SE and the Z31 shafts came in either a 4 or 6 bolt set up, one was turbo and the other was N/A can't remember which was whioch and there is no guarentee taht the 88ss matched the standard turbo models as it came with the viscous while the standard turbo 88 model came with the clutch type lsd