HybridZ

LT1 powered 280zx first ride... or roadtrip

Well I finally got to drive my LT1 powered 83 280zx for the "real" first time this week. Got it out of the tranny shop.... told them to stop "working" on it because I was moving to Glendale, AZ and that I will fix the tranny myself - like everything else on the car. First gear STILL does not work :banghead::fmad:

Well I got it out of the shop around 4pm and I was leaving to Glendale at midnight! My 72 was already on a tow dolly ready to go. If the LT1 broke down between now and my arrival in Glendale, I planned on just switching the two and driving the 72 and towing the LT1. (FYI not towing WITH the zx or z but with a van) So.... I needed to get some driving time in to see if everything was running properly:icon28:.

Drove it around town for like 6 hours giving rides to all my friends who were all :eek2::hail: when they heard/saw me coming. Everyone said that they didn't think that it would ride/look/sound like it does - boy these side pipes are saaaweeett sounding. Even without first gear, it is sure fun to drive. Can't wait to get first working... it will be a whole NEW car with first working.:P

No problems as of 12 midnight so off we went.... west @400 miles... a TRUE first road test.

No driveline vibrations!:2thumbs:- thanks for the tip Mike from JTR!!

Trip turned out fine... except for:

-some poorly placed left O2 senor wires mysteriously got caught up in steering shaft and cut, yes I said steering- found the reason why it was hard to make that left turn into the gas station.... maybe because I was damaging something!!:twak:O2 was fixed easily while at a gas station because I brought extra wire, etc.

-slight hearing damage in my left ear :ugg::cry2::violin:from running 8 hours with the windows down, side pipes blaring.:rockon:

:search:THE SEARCH FUNCTION WORKED FOR ME!!

A very special thanks to everyone on hybridz.org for your help on making this dream become a reality in less than a year. My countless use of the *search* function late into the night and wee hours of the morning helped me figure out all the kinks other people had before and find solutions to them before they became my problems. It seems those countless hours were not spent in vain as the only thing to go wrong...well since the O2 on the way.... happened yesterday, my old key ignition went completely out (starter engagement part went out couple weeks before)- All electrical just turned off... going 80mph on the freeway:eek:... again fixed with wire and connectors etc I now REGULARLY carry with me.

A HUGE thanks to all who run this site and keep it alive!!!!!!! Long live hybridz.org!!!!!!!!:cheers:

I will post some pics tomorrow. My website should be up at the latest saturday evening when I get internet installed in my apartment. As for now I am using the net from a local coffee shop offering free wireless access.

EDIT

glendale_006.jpg

Engine bay is NOT as clean as I want it... but when you are pressed for time... as they say.... "when you got to go, you GOT TO GO"

glendale_007.jpg

glendale_008.jpg

The problem was caused by my stock z ignition switch going completely out. I just opened up the kickpanel ..(boy this car would be SO easy to hotwire)and took a glance at my zx manual and found the right wires and wired up a switch.. One problem now.... my whole stock ignition switch is bypassed so you don't need a key to start the car:?... just flip one switch and press the starter switch. I am going to relocate the ignition power switch somewhere in the car so that no one will find but me. You still need the key or else the steering wheel locks when turned though....

• 4 months later...

Awesome ride man! I'm looking to do the same thing, only with a '95 LT1, and I have to follow CA smog laws(that sucks). What paint are you using? I'm thinking of a sunset metallic orange. A buddy of mine has some corvette side pipes he keeps telling me I should put on my Z, and now seeing them on one.... Although you do have a 2+2, and I don't. But who knows, I like challanges. Can't wait to see your website and find out more about what you did. That's a sweet ride. Keep up the good work.