HybridZ

New to HybridZ

Horatio

I've been doing most of my questioning/searching on ZCAR.com for the past couple of months. I recently bought a 1973 240Z in pretty good shape. Less than 100,000 miles and with little rust. I'm on the east coast (virginia) and apparently it's pretty hard to find one in good condition over here! I'm planing a resto/mod in the very near future. I'll be starting tear down in a few months and i'm looking for a few opinions on which way to go with the drivetrain. I'm starting to lean towards a turbo rather than building an expensive and less powerful stroker (at least as i've been reading). I really like the idea of a N/A powerhouse, but a cheaper more powerful engine is just to darn appealing to pass up! Where can I go to get a good run down on all of my options for the turbo swap? I could search this site but honestly I really would not know where to start!

Here's a pciture of what i've got to work with:

826631_6_full.jpg

Thanks!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84860

Welcome. That link should keep you busy for a while. You might want to check the other stickies in the Turbo forum, then as you see things and don't know what they are or just want to know more about them just search for them.

Nice looking Z. My first Z was orange.

Welcome, and you have a close knit group here in the North cacilacie/ Virginia/ Maryland/ Pennsyltuky region... I host a number of cookouts through out the year, so get your butt up here to visit with that ride the next time we have one (Probably August timeframe!)!!!

Mike :cool:

Mikelly, Thanks for the invite. Fredericksburg huh? Your right up the road! I'm in Richmond. As long as I can get the 240 running well enough to battle I95 I will definitely come and leach as much turbo hybrid info that I can from you!!! I have a couple nasty problems to deal with before I can get on the road. I've got a couple snapped exhaust studs which are obviously causing me some troubles. keep me informed and we'll see where things are when your BBQ comes around. Might just have to drive up there in my daily driver anyways just to say hello! You all could ooh and ahh over my 1996 Saturn SC1. I could indulge you in the intricacies of plastic cars!!! Thanks again, and take care!

Welcome to hybridz:twisted: I have owned both a high compression carb motor (no stroker though) and a turbo z. From my experiences if you want 250hp+ it is cheaper to go the turbo route. My carb motor had about $1400 into it (could have been done cheaper) and it probably had 170-180hp. My turbo motor I put $1500 into it and it made 280hp and 400lb-tq. But if you want that sweet n/a sound and smooth powerband then carb is better. Here are three very helpful websites that will help you will your decision. Happy wrenching:twisted:

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/

http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/

http://geocities.com/zgarage2001/

Thumper,

Thanks for the fine welcome and the links.

I do love the N/A idea because of it's "simplicity" (ooh, I might get burned for that one). I have great respect for those that pull high horses out of a N/A 6cyl engine. I however just don't have that kinda cash laying around. My plans thus far are as follows:

1A- Research, research, and a bit more research!!!

1B - Move into my new house and set up my new big 2 car garage for my Z.

2 - Tear down the 240 to nothing and rebuild

3 - Sell what I don't need off of the 240 and raise money for the Turbo engine and components. (I'll be working on the body/susp/interior while I do this)

4 - Rebuild/build the turbo setup - not sure yet if i'm gonna buy a donor car or just put it together piece by piece. I know it makes more sense to buy a donor but i'm not sure i'll have enough to cover a large purchase all at once. I will definitely be keeping my eye out though!

#3 actually brings up a good question. What do I need to keep off of my 1973 240Z that can be used in a turbo swap? (besides the obvious).

Thanks again!

I've been doing most of my questioning/searching on ZCAR.com for the past couple of months. I recently bought a 1973 240Z in pretty good shape. Less than 100' date='000 miles and with little rust. I'm on the east coast (virginia) and apparently it's pretty hard to find one in good condition over here! I'm planing a resto/mod in the very near future. I'll be starting tear down in a few months and i'm looking for a few opinions on which way to go with the drivetrain. I'm starting to lean towards a turbo rather than building an expensive and less powerful stroker (at least as i've been reading). I really like the idea of a N/A powerhouse, but a cheaper more powerful engine is just to darn appealing to pass up! Where can I go to get a good run down on all of my options for the turbo swap? I could search this site but honestly I really would not know where to start!

Thanks![/quote']

Nice z! It's definetly a good starting point! welcome to hybridz, i'm also new here and it's one of the best automotive forums probably in the entire universe. haha

Yeah, she's a little rougher than picture leads you to believe! I've got a bunch of parking lot dings down both sides and the hood is pretty banged up as well. Nice thing is that she's got very little rust. Just a bit at the bottom of one of the rear wheel wells. Nothing that should be to hard to fix though. Best of luck to you!

Hey 24TZ,

Welcome to the forum!! As bosick I am also new to this forum and also believe it a great source of info from people who also believe that DIY is the way to go as budgets for these things are quite tight. I understand what you mean about the N/A with bucket loads of grunt!!!! my car had been done up by the previous owner (carbied 2.8l l28 ) and a recent dyno tune put the car at 180rwhp or about 265 at the flywheel!!!!! The thing rockets along and it such a blast to drive without any turbo lag!!!! (mind you the flat spot is a real pain) although having said that your suspicions would have to be correct because this motor (I know) was VERY expensive where a turbo transplant would have been significantly cheaper, but it all comes down to taste and budget. modern technology puts less budget to a turbo motor and modern styling puts turbo on a higher level than N/A's - almost as if they are somehow far superior just because they are popular - so really it would seem that turbo would be the more practical choice where n/a would put you with more in the right time frame for the car. Ultimately choice is yours, but people do tend to lean towards turbo.

Tom.