HybridZ

Colder Plugs & Hotter Coil

sims76

I have been experiencing misfires under boost (6 PSI and above) for the past month.

I was running NGK BPR6ES-11 plugs and the stock NA coil.

Yesterday, I put in NGK BPR7ES-11 plugs and a MSD Blaster 2 coil.

No more misfires.

Just thought I'd share.

Guest bastaad525

probably much more to do with the coil than the plug change, no?

I wouldn't think colder plugs would have any effect on misfire... well... a colder plug does foul easier so actually could cause or worsen misfire.

Bastaad,

I would agree from a technical standpoint, but in my situation this problem took months to develop, so I'm thinking that either.

1. The coil slowly "weakened" if that's even possible.

2. The plugs had become slightly fouled, even though they appeared relatively clean IMO.

I just hope the problem doesn't return. I actually cut all three of my dyno runs short around 5K RPM because I was experiencing these misfires. I would like to do another dyno session in the fall now that it's dialed in.

I would check the resistance of the spark plug wires and check the condition of the distributor cap and rotor. Sounds like the you weren't getting enough power at the spark plug. It could be caused from a weak ignition coil but usually they go bad because having alot of resistance down the line. If everything seems to be ok and in specs then you have fixed the problem. Just out of curiousity what gap are you running. At anything less then 12psi you should be able to run .040" with the msd coil. With the msd 6al and blaster 2 coil I ran .043 at 18psi. Good luck

Thumper,

Cap and rotor look great, I guess I could place the rotor and measure the resistance from the tip of the rotor to the center electrode. Maybe I'll do that. I'll test the wires as well. I'm using 8mm crane cams wires.

I left the plugs at the factory 0.044" gap. I'm running 12PSI, creeping up to 14PSI.

partnumberkey.pdf

No really at 18psi I was able to run .050" but didn't want to push it so I backed it down to .043" This was with -11 ngks. Depending on what spark plugs you get that can make a big difference also. Also he is running a blaster 2 coil, and aftermarket ignition wires so that helps.

I took it out last night and ran it pretty hard, no misfires that I can feel.

It's difficult to give it a good test on the road, because after a few seconds at 10+ PSI you're well over the legal speed limit. :twisted: I guess that is not a bad thing as far as performance goes. I have to get to the track.

This thing pulls hard, I'm very happy with this swap.

Guest bastaad525

I run a .050" gap on NGK 7's. I get NO misfires under boost. I'm also running an MSD 6A and Blaster 2 coil. This is at 13 psi though I've run as high as 15 briefly.

I've heard/had misfire at idle... I know the sound, like random, intermittent pops from the exhaust. But I can't even imagine what it would sound like under boost or at high RPM... could someone possibly describe what it would sound like?

"FACTORY GAP"!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I don't believe in "factory gap" and the fallacy that one exists has been proven every time I open a new set of plugs! NOTHING goes into the engine without being checked physically and verified at LEAST!

But back to the question, I agree with Thumper, for lower boost you should be fine at .040 or thereabouts. I am at .043 with no misfire problems at 17psi. I do have problems with WIRES though! They are replaced regularly. When that happens, the misfires go away. Really kills me, too! They usually "look" great, but when Ohmed, have broken down internally. Carbon Fiber supression wires, BTW.

To recoup my plug wire expenditures, I save them all, put them in a box, and let my wife put them out during her yard sale. Serves a purpose: makes her think I am "selling off some of that car crap lying all around here" therefore preserving my hobby status at home! LOL

I do have problems with WIRES though! They are replaced regularly. When that happens' date=' the misfires go away. Really kills me, too! They usually "look" great, but when Ohmed, have broken down internally. Carbon Fiber supression wires, BTW.[/quote']

Why are the wires breaking down? Have you ever tried Magnacore wires?

They seems to least the longest and work the best. For me atleast.

Carbon Supression Wires. I know the Tec2 System specifically recomends Packard Supression wires, and also says to treat wires as a consummable item. Thus Far they have been correct.

I am suprised by how long recently purchased items seem to last, while the JDM Fat 8mm Supression wires I have on my 73 ZX(T) have been on there since 1989 and they are still working FINE at 17psi!