HybridZ

Carbon Fiber ZG flares

Montoya

:search:

No I have not had experience with the CF ones, but man, for that price, you could buy the fiberglass ones from Classic Datsun and have them covered in CF. And they weigh 30 lbs too from MSAs ad!! Shipping must be a biotch.

As for cutting, guys have done it both ways, but it really depends on what your tires and wheels will do under the car and how wide you are going--if your tire & wheel combo hits the fenders now, you have to cut, but if not, then don't worry about cutting anything. They attach with rivets or nuts & bolts. That said, do a search and you should find a thread by ON3GO, I believe, where all of that was answered.

Davy

My front guards were cut to clear the tyres, the rears did not have to be cut for mine. Depends on the wheel width and offset of course as to whether or not the guards have to be cut.

The fibreglass ones provide entirely adequate stiffness BTW, can't see the point in having CF ones.

Guest JAMIE T

On my '71, the front wheel opening is not cut but the rear is. That has 14x8 with a 0 offset. On my '73, front and back is cut out. I'm running 18 x 9.5" steam rollers on all four corners on that though.

One car has a set of Classic Datsun flares and the other has a set from Japan. I must honestly say, the ones from Classic Datsun are better quality.

Are the MSA fiberglass ones crap or are they fairly good quality? The only reason I want carbon fiber is because it will go with the look I am going for, however those are pretty pricey. If I can get away with wrapping the fiberglass, then that is the way to go.

:search:

No I have not had experience with the CF ones' date=' but man, for that price, you could buy the fiberglass ones from Classic Datsun and have them covered in CF. And they weigh 30 lbs too from MSAs ad!! Shipping must be a biotch.

As for cutting, guys have done it both ways, but it really depends on what your tires and wheels will do under the car and how wide you are going--if your tire & wheel combo hits the fenders now, you have to cut, but if not, then don't worry about cutting anything. They attach with rivets or nuts & bolts. That said, do a search and you should find a thread by ON3GO, I believe, where all of that was answered.

Davy[/quote']

Thanks Davy, I am in the process of putting the 240SX subframe on my car and I am not sure yet what my wheel width is going to be. To be honest, I am not even sure if the ZG flares will be wide enough once I get a decent set of rubber on my car. I'll keep everone updated with pics as soon as I am done.

Are the MSA fiberglass ones crap or are they fairly good quality? The only reason I want carbon fiber is because it will go with the look I am going for, however those are pretty pricey. If I can get away with wrapping the fiberglass, then that is the way to go.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=91490&page=2&pp=25&

Also, I'm sure the 30 lbs is dimensional weight, like the box they come in is so big it has to be charged as 30 lbs...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=91490&page=2&pp=25&

Also' date=' I'm sure the 30 lbs is dimensional weight, like the box they come in is so big it has to be charged as 30 lbs...[/quote']

Ah, that makes sense, but it's going to be pricey...ouch. We had a group buy last year and we bought from Classic Datsun if I remember correctly. Aux knows since he organized it. They are good quality IMO, but I wish they had gel coated them black instead of white. Who likes white fiberglass??? Black, baby!

Davy

Montoya, I see you're in socal. Why not just take a little road trip and check them out in person at MSA? And bring a tape measure! If you do this, please report the quality of the flairs to us on the board!!! And if you end up buying them you can throw the shipping cost out the window too!

Thanks Davy, I am in the process of putting the 240SX subframe on my car and I am not sure yet what my wheel width is going to be. To be honest, I am not even sure if the ZG flares will be wide enough once I get a decent set of rubber on my car. I'll keep everone updated with pics as soon as I am done.

If you stay with the 240SX offset wheels, then they will fit under ZG's with room to spare. If you go with a more traditonal RWD offset (zero or so) I think it will be tight. I waited quite some time for the CF ZG's (from Classic Datsun), but finally had to move on.....

Jason

I guess nobody is reading that other thread I linked to. The MSA flares are made by Classic Datsun. So if MSA has ZG flares in carbon fiber, they should be made by Classic Datsun.

And I still haven't ordered a set of flares yet, so if any of you carbon fiber freaks orders up some CF flares, my offer to buy your perfect condition old fiberglass flares for $50 still stands.

Montoya, I see you're in socal. Why not just take a little road trip and check them out in person at MSA? And bring a tape measure! If you do this, please report the quality of the flairs to us on the board!!! And if you end up buying them you can throw the shipping cost out the window too!

I was thinking the same thing. I will go check them out next week and report back here as to what I think about them.

Also, I know my car is a 71 and CF might not look to the time period however I bet if people in 1971 had access to CF for their cars they would have had it on their cars. :-) Besides, my RB motor is not exactly period correct either....modernization is underrated.

I just ordered and received my ZG flares from MSA a few days ago. The gel coat on them is excellent, but I'll be painting them anyway because scratches in paint are a lot easier to repair than scratches in gel coat. I haven't bolted them to the car yet, but initial trial fits seem like they will need some persuasion to bolt up correctly. I'm going to use 1/4"-20 nutserts and stainless allen head fasteners. I'll try to take some pictures of the installation and results when I do it, waiting on the nutserts to show up in the mail first.

Mike

I just ordered and received my ZG flares from MSA a few days ago. The gel coat on them is excellent' date=' but I'll be painting them anyway because scratches in paint are a lot easier to repair than scratches in gel coat. I haven't bolted them to the car yet, but initial trial fits seem like they will need some persuasion to bolt up correctly. I'm going to use 1/4"-20 nutserts and stainless allen head fasteners. I'll try to take some pictures of the installation and results when I do it, waiting on the nutserts to show up in the mail first.

Mike[/quote']

Thanks for the update. I look forward to your take on the fitment.

I just ordered and received my ZG flares from MSA a few days ago. The gel coat on them is excellent' date=' but I'll be painting them anyway because scratches in paint are a lot easier to repair than scratches in gel coat. I haven't bolted them to the car yet, but initial trial fits seem like they will need some persuasion to bolt up correctly. I'm going to use 1/4"-20 nutserts and stainless allen head fasteners. I'll try to take some pictures of the installation and results when I do it, waiting on the nutserts to show up in the mail first.

Mike[/quote']

I highly recommend against the nutserts, I used them for the rears and they only gave me major grief. I used the snap-on tool for them and some nice thick quality looking nutserts. After removing the flares once for paint, 3/4 of the nutserts came loose and spun in the hole. I was able to get them back on - but only because I can reach the inside of the fender from the hatch.

I guess use metal screws or something, my advice anyway.

About the nutinserts, They come in 2 to 3 different depth sizes. For different thickness material's. Maybe that's why they lost there grip? Try this website http://www.mcmastercarr.com . Search nut insert, you'll be surprised from the different assortment. I use the knurled nut rivet. If the hole in the panel goes through the body and into the interior of the car, get the knurled ones with the pvc seal. That will keep water from penetrating through.