HybridZ

Rear Disc Conversion Pics

I must say that the Mid 1990s Nissan rear brakes are overly complex and require an experienced mechanic to properly service them. There are 10 ways to sundown to totally 4uck up these rear brake systems.

You should not mess around with these calipers if you don't consider yourself an EXPERT chassis mechanic.

I think highly of myself and my mechanical abilities and I got the pads seated wrong the first time out on track. I was at least bright enough to figure it out and come back into the pits for a thorough brake check.

I went the extra step and completely rebuilt my set of late model 1996 240SX calipers. Those things are NO JOKE. No wonder they charge well over one hundred $$$ for each rebuilt bare caliper. I did mine for a grand total of $25 seal kit and a bunch of wasted time chasing down the Snap-On truck for long-reach-inside-snap-ring pliers. Those damn things are like working on a clock for God's sake.

• 3 weeks later...
I did mine for a grand total of $25 seal kit and a bunch of wasted time chasing down the Snap-On truck for long-reach-inside-snap-ring pliers. Those damn things are like working on a clock for God's sake.

Funny, I'm trying to find a pair of those myself for the same task. I want to get the calipers bead blasted and powder coated but don't feel good about doing that without tearing them completely down. There's a lot of crap inside these calipers, and they're probably as sensitive as a fine clock.

Cool to see someone else has done this mod. I agree, you should only attempt this if you have access to a machine shop. I don't see where you had to make dozens of mods though. Once the bracket has been milled and bored, everything is bolt-up (mostly).

I went the extra step and completely rebuilt my set of late model 1996 240SX calipers. Those things are NO JOKE. No wonder they charge well over one hundred $$$ for each rebuilt bare caliper. I did mine for a grand total of $25 seal kit and a bunch of wasted time chasing down the Snap-On truck for long-reach-inside-snap-ring pliers. Those damn things are like working on a clock for God's sake.

I agree I rebuilt a set for my 280ZX (similar caliper) Those things are hard to get put back together correctly. This one thing that I would recommend just buying something already rebuilt.

I've been running Ross's kit for over three years now without any issues. The only thing I had to so was swap the parking brake cable from left side to right side, and vice versa. The cables now criss cross under the car. The parking brake works great. I don't think I had to even adjust the cable.

I think you are correct on the brake bias with the V6 Toyo calipers in the front. You experience might vary depending on what pads you run in the rear. I know for fact that they are not a good match with the Willwood forged superlights in front. There is just too much piston area in the front. You can compensate with aggressive pads in the rear, and less than so in the front.

• 6 months later...

Well, this gets weird...

Please be advised that the following auction:

330183347392 - Datsun z rear drum to disc brake conversion bracket! NR

was ended early by eBay. The auction was ended due to the account suspension of the seller.

All results for this auction are null and void.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

Well, this gets weird...

Quote:

Please be advised that the following auction:

330183347392 - Datsun z rear drum to disc brake conversion bracket! NR

was ended early by eBay. The auction was ended due to the account suspension of the seller.

All results for this auction are null and void.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

The seller may have a history of misdeeds. I had been involved in one auction that was suspect, it did not sit well with me. No doubt the guy had some good stuff for sale.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I live in the UK and am in the middle of doing this conversion myself, I'm using the 280 calipers and the flat mounting plate. My solution is to have custom disc's made up that mean I don't need to machine anything apart from the centre hole of the bracket.

To me it seems a lot easier to have disc's made than bugger about with all the machining and welding :icon45:, Don't you think ?.

The new disc's will be made of the strongest steel available and heat treated, Cost wise they will cost about £230 all in which isn't to bad when you think my old AP disc's for my pulsar where over £400 a pair.....

Rob

• 1 month later...

I am not sure you understand the options that will fit the S30 cars. There are many different conversions for these cars. This thread pertains to the 1984 300ZX rotors for front and rear. The calipers are the largest versions from the Toyota trucks and the rears are from a 240SX.

There are at least 4 different versions of the Toyota front 4 piston calipers. The largest ones use the same brake pads as the Z32 300ZX, and the 2007 Subaru WRX. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=111335

The 240SX rear calipers have 2 variations with this being the most common version.

Has anyone considered using the toyota calipers and 300zx rotors in the rear, as well as in the front?
Yes, Z Race Products makes a kit for just that, though its not cheap. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240z-260-280z-Custom-Rear-Brake-Conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53d6c0bdaaQQitemZ360085241258QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Looks like its design much like the other brake kits - just an adapter plate to bolt on the caliper, so you could probably set something up like this for cheaper I bet, but the proof of concept is there. Oh and I guess youd need something to act as an e-brake too...