HybridZ

What is the best year for lS1 donor?

I have searched the post and LS1 sites but would like to know all the differences in the heads, rods, ect... and would you search for a certain year and why? I have a 72 240 with a kaminari body kit and am ready to start buying all that is needed for the LS1 swap.

The folk that race LS1s in Firebirds and Camaros for SCCA's T2 road racing class prefer a combo of a 1998 bottom end with 2001/2002 heads, intake and exhaust manifolds. It generally gives them about 320hp to the rear wheels if they use the 2001/2002 computer.

I subscribe to Super Chevy magazine and they did an entire issue that revolved around LS1/LS6 retrofits on older cars. They also did a piece on the ins and outs of the LS engine. According to the article, the block got a little bit of a re-working in '99. I seem to recall that this was done to improve oiling... Anyway, they seemed to think that the '99 and newer blocks were a little better of a starting point.

I don't personally know enough about it to comment from any experience.

Just to muddy the water a little bit - about 25% of the 2001/2002 F-body LS1's also had LS6 blocks which have some nternal bracing that makes them stronger as well as having the LS6 intake.

For what it's worth, my stock '98 Camaro LS1 dyno'd at 311 rwhp when I had a single 2 1/2" exhaust on it. That's about 365 flywheel hp.

Actually the LS6 block had areas opened up in it to improve high rpm breathing thus actually making the block weaker (but you'll never tell the difference). The LS1 block is stronger and prefered. In 2001 the heads were a little different and flow better. All in all there is really not a whole lot of difference in the performance potential between the years. Just get out your wallet and you can make a strong powerfull setup with any of them.

The weak point is in the rod bolts. Upgrade to ARP's, get a set of AFR 205's (heads) and the matching cam, go for a Fast 90mm intake and throtle body and spin to 7000 and make over 450 RWHP. I think that Tony from AFR got about 475 RWHP with his setup.

Thanks for the info. It looks like I will be on the hunt for a 2001 or later LS1 unless a really good deal comes along on an earlier one. Now to jumble through the r200/r230 deal as there seams to be many different opinions and solutions.

Guest dancaprar

i honestly wish i would have something of substance to add to the conversation, but all i can add are my two cents(thats with inflation). Go with the R230 because it has a bigger number after the r. :redface: