HybridZ

4 valve per cyl SOHC?

TheNeedForZ

Since this is a non-Z question...I put it here.

I've always thought SOHC are capable of controlling 2 or 3 valves per cylinder engines(like Mercedes, Ford, etc) and it is necessary to use DOHC to control 4 valves per cyl engines.

But recently I read about Honda Ridgeline(their new truck) and it uses SOHC system to control 4 valves on every cylinder. The engine seems to do ok, a 3.5 liter V6(IIRC?) to produce 255bhp with same number of peak torque. That translates into 72.8 bhp per liter.

So here comes the question, how does a SOHC system controls 4 valves on every cylinder? And how is conventional DOHC/4valve system better than this SOHC/4valve system?

Thanks in advance.

It just uses rockers like on a hemi headed two valve engine except you have four valves. Usually the spark plug wont fit in the traditional place and comes in from the side becuase of the rockers all over the place. Ther will be more valve train weight and the spark plug wont be in the optimum place so this set up is generally not as good as a good 2 cam set up.

Douglas

some of honda's new 4 stroke off road motorcycles use sohc with 4 valves per cylinder.cam uses buckits/shim on intake and rocker arms on exhaust valves.there are many ways to actuate valves.the future-solonoid actuated valves operated by the efi computor.the will make an engine smooth enough to drive grandma around and still spin to 10000 rpm.

Guest Battle Pope

There's got to be some limitations on HP, but the biggest limitations are on tunability.

That's pretty interesting though that Honda figured out how to make an engine with respectable torque numbers. Although, I think they'd have to to make it in the truck market.

Personally, I prefer the DOHC V6 out of the Legend, newer Accord, and NSX... NSX V6 in a sandrail = yes.

:hail:The 2006 BMW 760i and 760 Li comes with solenoid actuated valves among alot of new bells and whistles. This new 6.0 v-12 is rated around 440 hp and torque. Using this new technology, BMW has made a car that has a ever changing "cam" and thus a very long (wide) powerband. Valve lift/duration is variable depending on how far gas pedal is pushed. This variable valve lift/duration is now used to control acceleration and there is no main valve body - well there is but it no longer acts like the valve bodies that we know. Now this is technology! :icon52:

Of course one of my first thoughts was... wonder if this will fit into a z, sorry I didn't have access to a tape measure at the time. My first thought was wanting to drive the car. I would LOVE to shoehorn one of these bad boys into a z.

This information was obtained from a BMW master tech teacher. As far as I know, this information is true and is not published data.