HybridZ

home/garage compressor......

FEnatic

OK, in the market for a new compressor, what do you think? I was looking at the two stage 80 gal., you think this is overkill for the garage. I will be using air tools and painting, soon maybe a parts blaster. The 60 gal. single stages are almost half of the price though. What do you all think? Thanks

I bought a 7hp (rated, 5hp run) 60gal unit from Lowes (made by Campbell Hausfield, I believe). It is a verticle, 220V unit and is a huge upgrade from my old oilless, 5 hp (rated) 20 gallon unit!! It is belt driven, oil bath type and is also MUCH, MUCH quieter than the old one. IT has performed wonderfully so far. I have NEVER had to wait for it to 'catch up' while working with air hungry tools like DA sanders etc. I did all the body and paint on my truck a few weeks ago and had no issues. Although the 2 stage units are really nice, the price does not warrant it for the home user. If it were for a shop that used the air all day every day, different story.

This is the one I bought:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=3692-48540-K7060V&lpage=none

I bought mine at Sears for 269.00. It,s a 33gal.110v 6hp 150psi. 6.4scfm at 90psi. Came with 1/2" impact ,3/8" rachet,hammer,fittings,air hose,tool case and warrenty. It runs my tools and tank sand blaster ok. It does kick on and off alot while running the blaster. The 6hp is not a peak type rating.

Simply: "buy the best- cry once"

You will never regret having extra capacity. Make sure you check the rating, you are NOT getting a 5 hp compressor that plugs into 120V AC, no matter what that label says.

Figure somewhere between 3 and 5 cfm per horsepower for air at 100psi.

The biggest air hogs are sanders. If you are going to paint several cars, the two stage is worth it. For grinders, drills, impacts that don't run a long time, the single stage is OK. My Campbell Hausfeld is a 6hp vertical tank, 60 gal cast iron pump and is 12 years old now. When it goes, it will be replaced with a two stage no doubt about it.

60 gallon vertical tank..5 HP// single stage. Ingersall Rand made in China ....owned for about 15 years reduced the pulley system because it was initially working itself to premature faiure from too high a pulley speed for longevity... It keeps up with the air tools that I use a lot......I am satisfied but a two stage system is the way to go..but a cheap built two stage will wear it's rings out fairly.soon. so if you choose 2 stage go with a well known and reliable brand