HybridZ

want a 3.9 LSD anyone?

Leith280zlt1

Here's the deal. I own a machine shop in Gainesville Texas. I also own a '78 z with a 395 hp LT1. I want a LSD. I don't have a lot of money to buy one. What I want to do is order a couple of the power brute lsd's and install them in some r200 with a 3.9 gear ratio. They cost about 602.95 for the first two that I buy. After that I can get them at 20 percent off. What I'm willing to do is install two for free for anyone that wants one so that I can get them at a cheaper price and become a dealer. I have the facilities and the experience needed to reliably install them. If anyone would be willing to do this, I will give you the LSD installed in a 3.9 gear ratio R200 at my cost. Either you provide the R200 and I install the LSD in what you provide or I find one in a junk yard for $50 and sell it to you at $652.95. I can't become a dealer until I buy over $1000 of parts from Precision Gear. If I can do a little work on some Differentials and become a dealer and get a couple diffy's at $480 it sounds worth it to me... Let me know. If this sounds like a deal to someone, you get a power brute lsd installed in a 3.9 geared R200 for free. Hope someone's interested.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battle Pope

If I had the money I would SO do that. The only thing is, even with the LSD the R200 probably won't hold up to the 460 for long. I'm gonna have to go 9" solid axle... :(

If I am reading the chart right, FedEx ground will ship a 150# package anywhere is the continental US for less than $80.

http://www.fedex.com/us/rates/ground/domesticgroundrates.html

Would you consider a group buy type of thing? How much to ship me just the carrier so I can have it installed locally? Anyone know what a shop would charge for that type of service? Might be cheaper than two way shipping on the whole pumpkin.

When I did mine it wasn't necessary to redo the backlash (it was within .001"), so all I had to do was remover the carrier, swap the ring gear onto the new LSD with bolt spacers, and put it back in. With a brand new one you'd have to press the bearings onto the carrier as well. So if I were a shop and I were getting the whole diff out of the car I'd guess a fair charge would be 2 hours labor. If the backlash was off and you needed to adjust it, then the cost would go up because the person doing the work would have to locate shims, etc, but it seems that lots of guys have done it and b/l was OK afterwards.

Leith, you might want to search "ring gear bolt spacer" and maybe set something up for that. We previously figured out how to do the ring gear bolt spacers real cheap using some 12mm OD 10mm ID tubing. You could very easily add that to your kit, you'll probably have people wanting the spacers when you install the 12mm carrier into a 10mm ring gear.

Also on a side note I'd be curious to see what is inside one of these Power Brutes, since there are apparently several different Nissan LSDs, some with more clutches and some with less.

Pop, how many are you wanting to get? From what I was told they are charging around 250 for installation.

The LSD assembly weighs about 22lbs with the packaging. I don't know excactly how much the R200 itself weighs but without gear oil I'm sure it wouldn't weigh 150lbs. I can have the Limited slip assembly drop shipped to you straight from Precision Gear for $10 extra.

The cost for the LSD is 602.95 plus shipping. Like I told you for the first couple of setups I am not charging for installation. Once I become a dealer I may charge a little but not for these first few. I want to offer z-owners like me a little cheaper alternative with some better gear options. If you do want me to ship you the assembly and have it installed locally I would be more than happy to order them for you and depending on how many you want I may be able to offer you a better price on the third one. It takes me about a month to get cleared as a dealer and then I can order the units a little cheaper. But I have to sell 2 at 602 before that can happen. If you want to help me out, that is the exact same price that I am paying for them. And I will install it for you if you want.

Mortenson, on the bolt spacers. There are some problems with using them. Understand that it takes a certain amount of force to keep the pinion ring from moving. The 10 and 12mm bolts are both going to take a certain force to shear. The problem is if you use a bolt spacer, you take a risk of instead of holding the pinion ring tight, you are holding the spacer down. And if you get the spacer too short, it is free moving underneath the bolt and there is no benifit. The better alternative is to get a 10mm bolt with a 12mm shoulder. They are kind of expensive to machine but it is possible. Understand that you don't need either one. If the pinion ring is going to move, it's going to shear the bolt, spacer or not. The pressure on the bolt head is what keeping the ring from moving, not the bolt stem hitting the walls of the pinion ring.

Some people will want to use spacers anyway because it will make them feel better and I don't dissagree with that at all. If you want the spacers, I can machine some on my lathe for a couple of bucks apiece. I'll try to get some information on the shouldered bolt and see what they will cost. On the shims for the backlash, they are very easy to machine and I won't charge for those. Hope this helps.

From what I was told at precision gear, they have the same amount of clutch plates as the lsd's from the other nissans. They are ordered straight from nissan and are sealed kits. So there would be a waranty on them BTW! Just a little reassurance.

Thanks Forrest.

My shipping charges to one of my customers in Payson, AZ from Gainesville, TX shows for a 75lbs package $38.60 one-way. It may cost a couple of bucks more because the LS assembly may weigh a little more than the carrier it has in it. I haven't compared them.

If you want the 4.11 gears, if you send me your r200 I can do that swap too. Or if you want the 3.5 gears or whatever. If you want me to find a diffy I can try that too if you think it might cost less. Let me know what you want to do. Thanks.

Mortenson' date=' on the bolt spacers. There are some problems with using them. Understand that it takes a certain amount of force to keep the pinion ring from moving. The 10 and 12mm bolts are both going to take a certain force to shear. The problem is if you use a bolt spacer, you take a risk of instead of holding the pinion ring tight, you are holding the spacer down. And if you get the spacer too short, it is free moving underneath the bolt and there is no benifit. The better alternative is to get a 10mm bolt with a 12mm shoulder. They are kind of expensive to machine but it is possible. Understand that you don't [i']need[/i] either one. If the pinion ring is going to move, it's going to shear the bolt, spacer or not. The pressure on the bolt head is what keeping the ring from moving, not the bolt stem hitting the walls of the pinion ring.

Some people will want to use spacers anyway because it will make them feel better and I don't dissagree with that at all. If you want the spacers, I can machine some on my lathe for a couple of bucks apiece. I'll try to get some information on the shouldered bolt and see what they will cost. On the shims for the backlash, they are very easy to machine and I won't charge for those. Hope this helps.

The bolt spacers don't have to be a press fit, because the ring gear isn't a press fit. They basically take up the slack, and making them shorter is definitely better than making them too long. You're right, they are not necessary, just a bit of a safeguard. Since the ring gear on these diffs is NOT a press fit onto the carrier, I think it is more likely that the ring gear could try to rotate on the carrier. If for some odd reason the ring gear did try to spin, if there was no slack in the hole that would make it less likely that the bolt would snap off. I put them in my LSD and I know some others did not. My point was that you can get 12mm OD 10mm ID tube. One tube probably costs $50, then you can just cut and deburr them, and then you don't have to turn them on a lathe.

From what I was told at precision gear, they have the same amount of clutch plates as the lsd's from the other nissans. They are ordered straight from nissan and are sealed kits. So there would be a waranty on them BTW! Just a little reassurance.

There are several different clutch packs on the Nissan units. It would still be interesting to see what these have in them. In this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=92629&page=1&pp=25 I listed out the parts Nissan says should be in the 45 lb and 75 lb breakaway LSDs. Then I list the weird stack I had in mine, and Mat73GNZ gave us the rundown on his. Neither of ours matched the parts listed originally.