HybridZ

Problem with a ferrari... maybe somebody can help.

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Hey guys i have a 1992 Ferrari Mondel for the weekend, its got some problems with it missing and etc. i replaced the coil packs and that fixed the problem on that, it still misses a tad but i think its because of the other problem.

the car has a huge fuel problem.

fuel is dumping so much under idle or light load that its even dripping out the exhaust pipes. it smokes like crazy at a stop, but if you go threw 1st and 2nd hard and drive normal its fine.

i think its the fuel pressure regulator, but i havent tested yet.

parts are so pricey that its hard just throw parts at it, and only ferrari has the tools to change engine codes and etc. sucks!

any idea guys? i think im correct but maybe im over looking something.

BTW! what a sweet car!

mike

Hey guys i have a 1992 Ferrari Mondel for the weekend, its got some problems with it missing and etc. i replaced the coil packs and that fixed the problem on that, it still misses a tad but i think its because of the other problem.

the car has a huge fuel problem.

fuel is dumping so much under idle or light load that its even dripping out the exhaust pipes. it smokes like crazy at a stop, but if you go threw 1st and 2nd hard and drive normal its fine.

i think its the fuel pressure regulator, but i havent tested yet.

parts are so pricey that its hard just throw parts at it, and only ferrari has the tools to change engine codes and etc. sucks!

any idea guys? i think im correct but maybe im over looking something.

BTW! what a sweet car!

mike

Hahahaha! Just playin' Mike. Now, come on, post some pictures already! :D

!M!

connect a fual pressure gauge before the regulator.if it is a a normal bosch system it will be 32psi at idle and 40 psi with vacuem hose off of regulator.the regulators will stick sometimes and fuel pressure will go to 90 or 100 psi.this is assuming it k-jetronnic(electric injectors).i am not much on knowing about old cis(constant spray injection).if it uses bosch parts you can get the bosch part# and order parts that way.also check wiring to sensors-those things ran hot underhood and connectors get crunchy from heat.if the car was parked for a long time it might need injectors removed for a cleaning and calibration check by a shop the does injector cleaning like kinsler or rc engineering.if you disconnect a fuel line and its hard/brittle replace it.you dont want to buy a customer another ferrari.i had a customer with a mercedes 450 with leaking injector hose.it used injectors like a z car.i replaced ALL injectors and hoses because everything was brittle.keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Beyond what Randy said, Which is excellent BTW, I'd check the TPS and if you can get a code scanner (I know, Ferrari only!), you might find something in the EFI system besides injectors, although I doubt it. MOst of these exotic cars sit at home in the garage and parts fail for lack of use... THen you tell the owner he or she is killing their car by letting it sit and not be driven, and they look at you like you have a third eye sticking out your forehead. :lmao:

Mike

Guest ON3GO

well he drove it once a week from when he owned it.

i doubt he ever really got on it.

when i drove it at the shop i got on it from 1st and 2nd and 3rd and then after that the fuel problem came.

it blew a little smoke but not this bad.

the coil packs did help, but didnt cure the smoke problem.

eats fuel BAD!

i dont have my laptop so i cant upload the pictures.

i will take some pictures and try and post them some how.

mike

Guest 73Turbo240z

i have the fuel pressure gauging equipment if you don't mike...

also have the camera + tripod :-D

get my text message?