HybridZ

RB20DET into Z32 300ZX

Guest Kaiyin

Guest Kaiyin

Well, I'm going to try and swap in a RB20DET into my Z32 300ZX. Has anyone done this before? Links? Advice? Warnings? Thanks.

Guest Kaiyin
Why an RB20? Doesn't that seem a little... underpowered?

Yeah, kind of a weird swap, but there's a RB20 sitting at the shop I go to and they'll give it to me if I want to try and swap it in. But I can upgrade turbos and build the motor up. I just want to try the swap out.

Guest Battle Pope

Give it to you as in for free? Free is good. It will be pretty underpowered untill you build it quite a bit though.

Basically, just get the engine, an RB20 5-speed RWD trans, a custom driveshaft, and go to town.

Build the mounts and wire it up.

Guest Kaiyin
Give it to you as in for free? Free is good. It will be pretty underpowered untill you build it quite a bit though.

Basically' date=' just get the engine, an RB20 5-speed RWD trans, a custom driveshaft, and go to town.

Build the mounts and wire it up.[/quote']

not as bad as I thought it would be. It came with a trans. to. I found some figures on the Silver top RB20 which is what I got.

r32 (Sliver top)

Nissan RB20DET 2.0L Straight Six

Capacity: 1.998L

Induction: Garrett T28 Turbo charger, 7psi

Valvetrain: Double Overhead Cam, 4 valves/cyclinder

Bore x Stroke (mm): 78.0 x 69.7

Compression ratio: 8.5:1

Maximum Power: 160 kW @ 6400rpm

Maximum Torque: 263 Nm @ 3200rpm

Redline / Cutout: 7500rpm

Well, I'm going to try and swap in a RB20DET into my Z32 300ZX. Has anyone done this before? Links? Advice? Warnings? Thanks.

Well i'm assuming your Z32 is N/A I hope.

I would definately go for the RB25 if you were planning to do this. There is going to be some major fitment issues, be careful of the turbo and downpipe on that side.

However, I have seen a 2JZ into a Z32 but this was in the Middle East from those TopRpm.com guys.

If it makes you happy, go for it, but try at least going the RB25, RB20 seems a little too weak. I mean the 200ZR came with the RB20, but do as you please.

Good luck!

Guest Kaiyin
Well i'm assuming your Z32 is N/A I hope.

I would definately go for the RB25 if you were planning to do this. There is going to be some major fitment issues' date=' be careful of the turbo and downpipe on that side.

However, I have seen a 2JZ into a Z32 but this was in the Middle East from those TopRpm.com guys.

If it makes you happy, go for it, but try at least going the RB25, RB20 seems a little too weak. I mean the 200ZR came with the RB20, but do as you please.

Good luck![/quote']

Yeah, my Z is a n/a model but it had some motor work. The reason I'm going with the RB20 is I'm getting it for free with a tranny. So, I'm going to try my luck and see if I can get it to work. I do have a back up plan though because I'm picking up a 300ZX TT front clip on monday.

it would be a cool swap, just because I don't think it's been done. Plus I'm the biggest RB series fan boy that there could ever be.

I'd defiently bore/stroke it, as it's horribly underdisplaced for a six cylinder.

and free is free!

( i almost bought an rb20det powered 240sx )

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Swap In The Rb20det Silver Top.... Get Used To It Then Later Down The Road Build A Rb25de Non-vvt Headed Rb30det. This Uses All The Same Sensors, Wiring, Manifolds, Etc. As The Rb20det So It Would Be The Most Direct Swap And Can Make Some Awesome Power Figures.

I Recommend If You Go This Route To Use The Rb30e Block And A Rb25de Out Of A R32 Gts.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX
it would be a cool swap' date=' just because I don't think it's been done. Plus I'm the biggest RB series fan boy that there could ever be.

I'd defiently bore/stroke it, as it's horribly underdisplaced for a six cylinder.

and free is free!

( i almost bought an rb20det powered 240sx )[/quote']

EVER HEARD OF THE S20? ITS A 2.0L DOHC STRAIGHT 6. IT WAS FOUND IN THE OLDER SKYLINES AND THE 432R. ITS WAS A VERY POTENT ENGINE AND IS STILL VERY SOUGHT AFTER.

I know there is a rb26dett swapped 300zx and i think HKS did it. It is quite a ridiculous looking peice of work due to the huge tear drop in the hood to accomodate the exhaust manifold. If i can find a link to it i'll post it up but as of right now i cant seem to find it. Also, rb20det's run 10 psi stock.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX
r32 (Sliver top)

Nissan RB20DET 2.0L Straight Six

Capacity: 1.998L

Induction: Garrett T28 Turbo charger' date=' 7psi

Valvetrain: Double Overhead Cam, 4 valves/cyclinder

Bore x Stroke (mm): 78.0 x 69.7

Compression ratio: 8.5:1

Maximum Power: 160 kW @ 6400rpm

Maximum Torque: 263 Nm @ 3200rpm

Redline / Cutout: 7500rpm[/quote']

1998CC*

GARRETT T28 COMPRESSOR, T3 EXHAUST, 10PSI (.7 BAR)*

Guest Battle Pope
EVER HEARD OF THE S20? ITS A 2.0L DOHC STRAIGHT 6. IT WAS FOUND IN THE OLDER SKYLINES AND THE 432R. ITS WAS A VERY POTENT ENGINE AND IS STILL VERY SOUGHT AFTER.

Sought after to the point that they're one of the most expensive japanese production engines right now.

With the specs of the RB20, why not go with the 25? I know its free but might as well do it right.

RB25 Specs

Displacement 2,498

Combustion chamber type Pent-roof

Valve arragement 4 valves per cylinder/DOHC

Bore x stroke 86 x 71.7

Compression ratio 9:1

Compression pressure 173 psi

Maximum output 247 HP @ 6400 RPM

Maximum torque 215 FT/LB @ 4800 RPM

Dimensions 845 x 630 x 680

Valve cycles Intake valve open Early operation 20º | Inactive operation 0º

Intake valve closing Early operation 40º | Inactive operation 60º

Exhaust valve open 57º

Exhausr valve close 3º

Idle speed 650 RPM

Ignition timing 15 deg@ 650 RPM

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I Personally Like The Rb20 Over The Rb25... I've Owned Both. The Rb20 Just Seems To Rev Easier And Feels More Racy On The Topend, While The Rb25 Has Alot Of Grunt Between 3k-and 6.5k Rpms. It All Depends On What You Want.... I Would Just Build A Rb30det And Call It A Day If I Was To Do Another Rb Car.