HybridZ

RB20DET into Z32 300ZX

Guest Kaiyin

I Personally Like The Rb20 Over The Rb25... I've Owned Both. The Rb20 Just Seems To Rev Easier And Feels More Racy On The Topend, While The Rb25 Has Alot Of Grunt Between 3k-and 6.5k Rpms. It All Depends On What You Want.... I Would Just Build A Rb30det And Call It A Day If I Was To Do Another Rb Car.

Hopefully with the lighter flywheel, lighter clutch, and lighter crank pulley, i'll be able to rev as fast as the 20 if not faster =P

I agree with projectrb.Put the motor in now and If you decided you want more build the rb25/30. Your getting thr motor for free so you can spend your money on a better turbo,intercooler and other goodies that will transfer if you swap to another RB.or If you really want a swap that hasen't been done I'll trade you for my rb20e auto that's in my car now. :)

RB20 into a Z32? WEAK. Nose-heavier and slower than a stock VG30DETT Z32. Might as well swap in an SR20 with the same power potential and 130 less pounds. Why anyone puts an RB20 into anything is beyond my comprehension...

Grab the engine/trans for free, sell it on eBay to some bandwagon-jumping 240SX assclown, and use the $$$ for something else :D

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

obviously you've never really explored the rb20's limits.... it is a very good motor choice. It provides the ability for High rpm power if your a road racer, great harmonics from a short stroke I6, many of the parts from the other rb engines interchange (one popular swap is the rb26dett head), has a decent aftermarket, and is a cheap starting point.

Ohh well to each their own but don't discount a motor because it has two extra cylinders and the same low displacement as a four cylinder.

obviously you've never really explored the rb20's limits.... it is a very good motor choice.

Not when compared to a newer 4 valve 3L, especially in a 3500 lbs car. Wait B16's make good power and are light too, maybe that would work, they rev. Is it better than an L20B, yes but the RB20 is dated and makes less power than an SR20 with alot more weight.

Yeah, that's one issue with the RB20, it's usually an older motor. Even the RB26's that most people own come from R32's.

One of the reason why I went with the RB25DET was because I knew for a fact that it came in 1995-1998. Which meant a lot less motor time than let's say the R32 GT-R or the GTS-T [RB20DET]

Guest PROJECTRB240SX
Not when compared to a newer 4 valve 3L, especially in a 3500 lbs car. Wait B16's make good power and are light too, maybe that would work, they rev. Is it better than an L20B, yes but the RB20 is dated and makes less power than an SR20 with alot more weight.

there is two parts to this post....

One the rb20 makes more power than an sr20det, mod for mod the power curve is almost always greater on the rb20det. The benefits of the rb20 over sr20 besides the power band are the lack of old scholl rocker arms (rb uses cam on bucket), T3 turbo footprint stock, Takes less effort for the same amount of power thanks to two extra cylinders, weighs only 65 pounds more than a ka24e (so its only 75lbs heavier than an sr20det). But some opt away from this motor because of its age and milage... so there is a downside, i'm just saying don't discount a rb20 because you don't understand it.

Two, if in comparison to the rb30det... well there is none. If you've got the bucks go all out, you'll have a larger more linear torque band, ease to massage more power out with basic changes, and longer engine life from the extra cubic inches.

btw, I never said to only benefit is the wider rpm curve.... yet any time I bring up rpm range people always make stupid comments about honda motors.

I know some people spend alot of time in the top half of their curve and would like the ability to make alittle more power and go alittle further up their.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX
Yeah' date=' that's one issue with the RB20, it's usually an older motor. Even the RB26's that most people own come from R32's.

One of the reason why I went with the RB25DET was because I knew for a fact that it came in 1995-1998. Which meant a lot less motor time than let's say the R32 GT-R or the GTS-T [RB20DET']

I've gotten a few very low milage rb20's. By low mileage I'm talking 30k-40k km.... you just have to know who to call and when. The price difference is significant enough to make a impact on your decision also.

I thought the big advangtage of this swap is that fact that it is FREE. The fact is he doesn't have a free sr20, rb25/26. I guess the question I'd like to know is, what is your real purpose for the car? Will it function as a daily driver? If so, I say swap it in if you have the means to do so. I don't have any car to drive, and if I got a free motor and could make it work, I'd be sticking it in for sure, especially if it was an na car anyway. If this is an extra car though, I'd like to know whats your purpose, other than "noone has ever done it before." Obviously noone has done it for good reasons. If you have a set budget (Free) and just want to roll, I say swap it in.

One the rb20 makes more power than an sr20det, mod for mod the power curve is almost always greater on the rb20det.

nope. Maybe 5 more HP stock, but I have yet to see an RB20 make more power than an SR20 for similar mods.

The benefits of the rb20 over sr20 besides the power band are the lack of old scholl rocker arms (rb uses cam on bucket)

agreed. I hate the freaking floating rocker arms. I still don't know what Nissan was thinking... :twak:

T3 turbo footprint stock

not that big a deal...

Takes less effort for the same amount of power thanks to two extra cylinders

BULLPLOP. This is a misconception on the level of "more backpressure equals more torque" :toetap05: Same displacement, same amount of air moved. Four 500cc pulses every 180 degrees, or six 333cc pulses 120 degrees apart, doesn't matter. Two liters of mass flow is two liters of air, period. It won't spool a bigger turbo faster, it won't make more power, it won't do anything except operate smoother, sound better, and weigh more. And I have yet to see a stock-bottom-end RB20 make 500+wHP on stock internals, much less four of them...

weighs only 65 pounds more than a ka24e (so its only 75lbs heavier than an sr20det).

It's significantly more than that. There are enough RB swaps in town to know that it cracks the three-digit mark.

Put the RB20 on NICO and get a better engine from the money it gets you.

nope. Maybe 5 more HP stock' date=' but I have yet to see an RB20 make more power than an SR20 for similar mods.

agreed. I hate the freaking floating rocker arms. I still don't know what Nissan was thinking... :twak:

not that big a deal...

BULLPLOP. This is a misconception on the level of "more backpressure equals more torque" :toetap05: Same displacement, same amount of air moved. Four 500cc pulses every 180 degrees, or six 333cc pulses 120 degrees apart, doesn't matter. Two liters of mass flow is two liters of air, period. It won't spool a bigger turbo faster, it won't make more power, it won't do anything except operate smoother, sound better, and weigh more. And I have yet to see a stock-bottom-end RB20 make 500+wHP on stock internals, much less four of them...

It's significantly more than that. There are enough RB swaps in town to know that it cracks the three-digit mark.

Put the RB20 on NICO and get a better engine from the money it gets you.[/quote']

Power is DIRECTLY proportional to the surface area of the piston. The more bore an engine has, the more pressure it can put on the crank and the more power it can make. I'm not going to get into heavy equations about torque, stroke, rotating mass, rod angularity, and on and on. You can find it in any engine design book, physics book, etc. All things being equal, the engine with more piston area will make more power. The fewer crank rotation degrees between power strokes, the more low and mid rpm power an engine will generate.

That said, the SR20 makes power more easily because of it's flow characteristics. When you factor in weight, it's clearly the swap choice for performance. Back in the day......When the R31 Skyline was semi-new, we used to tear out the RB20DET and swap in a turbo L31 :)

Kaiyin, I normally don't get involved threads about peoples swap choices, but I will tell you that you will be severely dissapointed with the power you may pick up for the work involved. This includes the SR20. An SR or RB20 in an S30 is one thing, but yours is a heavy car and requires a lot of grunt. 500hp SR/RB20's dont make a lot of power down low, and you can't expect to have the engine in boost from every traffic light or freeway onramp and have it live long. My $0.02.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Agreed With All The Above....

Anyway, I Used To Have A Few Rb20's And I Personally Weighed The Rb20 And Ka24e I Took Out Of The Car. Its 65lbs Difference, The Rb25/26 Is Significantly More Because Of The Transmission.

My Buddies Shop Had Two Cars There Getting Swaps Done, One Was An Sr And The Other Was A Rb20det. They Both Got A Fmic, 3" Exhaust, And Open Element Intake.... Well The Rb20 Car Dyno'd At 210whp While The Sr Made Only 195 On The Same Day. Granted There Could Be Other Factors Involved But The Fact Of The Matter That Is The General Results Between The Two Engines. The Biggest Downside Between The Two Is The Weight Difference Although Minimal Makes A Difference Along With The Placement Of The Weight.

Its All Up To The End User And Their Preference But I Would Take That Engine Swap It In And Then Later Build A Rb30det That While Directly Swap In.