HybridZ

Cam

Does anyone know if their is a cam upgrade for the P90A without having to make it a solid lifting head? I have heard the N/A cam will net a little bit of power but how true that is on the l28et I am unsure of (Yes, I understand that the n/a cam is a little bit more agressive) If that is the case could you just put the N/A cam into the P90a without any problems.. any information or experiences appreciated. I am just looking to get some more power.

Your Biggist Limit Is On Lift,and Longer Duration Is More For Carburated Cars.if You Can Put A Bigger Cam On A N/a Motor With Out Replaceing The Springs Then You Can Probably Use It On A P90a.this Would Limit Your Choices To A First Level Cam From Motorsports Or Something Simular.the Cams On 81 And 82 Turbos Are Bigger Than An 83. N/a Cams Are Bigger Still.the Biggest Stock Cam Was On The 260 But Is Externally Oiled And Would Need A Spray Bar.

I Found A Post With All The Cam Profiles And The N/a Is More Aggressive Than The Turbos. I Also Have Put A P90 Head On A N/a Motor With The Stock 81 Cam . It Was A Little Worn So Later I Changed To A Good N/a Cam And Immediately Noticed A Differance, And No The First Cam Wasn't That Bad , Just A Few Groves.i'll Probably Put A N/a Cam In My P90a Head On My 83 Turbo Motor I Just Installed In My 260.until My Ship Comes In Or I Win The Lottery.

Turbo cams have less lift on, I think it is the intake lobe. It's only .010" but is still enough for me not to run one. I run an n/a cam. Can't remeber the letter though. A and C cams are the same lift for both In/Ex. C having more duration, supposidly. B and F cams have less lift on one lobe, intake I believe. B is drilled.

Just a stocker. I will put a larger after market cam in it, just need to go pick it up at a friends.

Be careful you don't get a n/a cam with significant overlap when running it on a turbo engine. It will not work as well as the stock cam.

Hey Clifton do you know why it is you supposively cannot run an aftermarket cam on the p90a hydraulic head? I just don't see why not .. I was looking into purchasing a schneider cam or one custom made by isky using Z-Gad's specs. I can get access to another head but which would work well with an aftermaket cam? I know there is a 280zx turbo at the junkyard but not exactly sure which head is on it ( Havn't been out there yet ) I remember someone mentioning needing a oil spray bar with a different cam?? BTW all 5 dyno graphs will be up shortly.. waiting for a friend to host them. So you will be able to see all my power curves and maybe give advice.

Cam Profiles

That is why they limit the selection to mechanical grinds.

The profile for a hydraulic cam is different to use the hydraulics to proper effect. Look at the Chevy Grinds for a great example. They have hydraulic grinds all over the place since that's what you got from the factory. The Flat-Tappett Mechanical grinds are so noted, and usually come with lifters. The profiles on the ramps on the two look very different.

That would be my take on it.

These are the stock cam specs...

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/cam/index.htm

Sure does look like the N/A cam is a bit more different..

the cam lift intake on the N/A cam is 7.35 compared to the turbo which is 7

intake & exhuast duration is 248 compared to the turbo which is 240

Lobe centers are ALL basiclly 109 except the P90 j cam which is 110

Valve lift intake 10.4 and the turbo is 10.0

Valve lift exhuast 10.5 and the P90 j cam is 9.9

So there isnt MUCH of a difference....

Hydraulic cams generally have a gentler ramp starting off the base circle. 110 lobe centers does not for a good turbo cam make - I'd want at least 112 and preferably 114 degree centers. 110 is just too much overlap if you have any lift at all with a hydraulic....