HybridZ

Stupid stub axle question

heavy85

I noticed a little slop between the drivers side companion flange and stub axle of my 240. I could rock the companion flange back and forth slightly when the wheel was locked which I think is the primary contributor to my rear end clunk. So I took the companion flange off and the slines look OK but I still think they are a little too loose and obviously the axle nut was not very tight (although being peened it was hard to get off ... but nothing a 3 ft cheeter bar couldn't handle). There is a thin copper washer that goes between the companion flange and the inner wheel bearing. This washer (shim maybe?) does not show up in the Haynes manual so I'm wondering if it's suppose to be there and maybe that is why the nut loosened up and as a result the splines are getting a little worn? Anyone know why that copper washer is in there?

I'm thinking of just tightening it back down and calling it good until winter but probably should replace them at some point since the splines aren't tight anymore.

Thanks

Cameron

I found the same copper washer and loose axle flange on my

71 240Z. I pulled both flanges to remove the copper washers

and and just put it all back together less the washers using

new nuts and the 280Z torque specs "180 to 240 ft-lbs" Its

been a couple years since I did it and everything is tight and

working well.