HybridZ

Ecotec 2.2

Greg55_99

from what i hear, a lot of european caterham kit cars use that motor..

watch that show "a racing car is born" from euro discovery channel and they document a buildup of a westfield caterham type replica with that motor.. not bad.

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/racecar.htm

correction, they use Ford Zetec and Duratec motors :) oops

it's the motor that's been used in j-bodies (cavaliers/sunfires) for almost a decade now. The new saturn ion redline and chevy cobalt SS use the 2.0 liter supercharged ecotec motor making 205hp at the crank

The new pontiac solstice will be using the 2.4 ecotec in rwd configuration, with optional supercharger later down the road

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest enderw88

I was interested in this engine for another RWD project and called Keisler Engineering, he guys who did the adaptation for KitCarMag. The sales manager told me the TKO kit for the motor would be available in October and would run about 2-3K including trans.

Oh and the Locost guys in britain mostly use ZETECs, not EcoTecs...

My girlfriend's 02 Grand Am has a 2.2 ecotec and I have to say I'm impresed with it.. The first time I drove the car I was SURE it had a V6!! She's said.. No I think it's a ...4.. cylinder? I literaly pulled over and poped the hood as soon as I found a gas station cause I had to see it. Seams to be a tough little mill too..

I work here at Saturn of tulsa, and im around the 2.2 liter ecotec, and the 2.0 liter ecotec supercharged Ions, as well as the ecotecs in the saturn view.

They are more or less economy engines, and only the supercharged ION's are the only ones that have git up and go, and its really not even that fast after that. the 2.2 liter ecotec engines are extremely weak. I drive them every day at work and the only saturn that i have driven with good low end power, is the Saturn L300, which has the poorly engineered Saab 3.0 liter V6 in it.

Another problem with the ECO tec in those things is the endless amounts of sensors and electical problems that they have. Saturn just runs way to much electronics on the motor and or whole car. Its just poor design.

Now the older motors, are actually pretty reliable and strong for what they're made from. I see more newer saturns here in the service bay than i do older ones.

They CAN make power, just as anything else can, GM proved that by making the D class land speed record with the ION redline 2 liter, But... its still a saturn.

-Speed Fanatic

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Here's the GM thread on it. Breaks it down to 250-400' date=' 400-600, 600-1000 and 1000-1400 HP! Reads like a Chilton, though. I never thought I would want to do an engine dripping with vacuum lines and sensor wires, but this one has promise.

http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/html/race_shop_build_book.htm[/quote']

So you too could have 1000hp at 9000rpm with nearly 40psi of boost on a 2.2L! the funny part is the hp doesn't hit 300 till 5750. That's a long time to wait for power, but when you're past 30mph, then you're unstoppable. I wonder what the cruzing mileage would be on a Z with one of these...