HybridZ

Differential Question for a 280zx

Drftn280zxt

I have a 1982 280zx Turbo. I was wondering does this have an R200 or R180 diff. I searched the forums and did not find a straight answer I mostly just found Z31 with them. Also If it does have an R200 (which I believe it does) NISMO sells an LSD for the R200 under 280zx (S130) in their catalog, does anyone know if that is a 1way 2way or 1.5 way. I am slowly building a drift machine so a 1.5 or 2way is quite desirable, the open clutch just ain't cutting it, one wheelin is getting old real fast. A clutch type LSD along the lines of NISMO, KAAZ, Cusco, Or Quaife would be good if I'm not mistaken, your input is greatly appreciated. What would be the best setup. Also NISMO offers a huge array of pinion gears, which would be best for drift/autoX, I can post the sizes if necessary unless you guys are already aware of them. Thanks.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about the turbo models. From my understanding, the automatics came with the r180 and the manuals came with the r200. I have read somewhere of people using the lsd out of subarus. Don't know if the turbo automatics came with r200 though.

well if it helps I have a 5speed and the trans, B&W (Borg Warner) T5, and supposedly "The 82 280zx turbo 2+2 should have the same drivetrain as the 2-seater turbo. It should have a BW 5-speed and 3.54 R200 rear," according to ZDriver.com if that helps at all.

here's the thread I found it on http://zdriver.com/forum/printthread.php?t=9708 is this true?

The easiest way to tell if it's an R200 or R180 is to look at the back cover. If it's round it's an R200, if it's rectangular it's and R180.

I'm betting you have an R200, AFAIK the only ZX's that got the R180 were the automatic non-2+2 models, which would mean that all turbo models and all manual transmission models had the R200. Don't take this as 100% truth though, be sure to look at your diff housing to verify which you have.

Wheelman

well that does not make any sense because mine is a 1982 280zxt with a T5 tranny. So someone is wrong, either 280zxts in 82 came with auto or were available in both auto and manual trans(when I bought I was told it had the original tranny from the factory hence there was no tranny swap into my Z). Note my Z does not have the tranny that was in my 1979 Z rather it has Borg Warner trans I believe. So I definitely have an R200 or does nobody know for sure? If I do what about LSD's anyone know anything about the NISMO one (1way 1.5way or 2way)?

Thanks for the feedback though, keep it coming

If the manufacture date is 9/82 or later you have an 83. Your other question has been answered within the last week on another thread, and I personally have posted pictures of the cam and the housing on another thread, I think they're still in my gallery. The Nissan unit is a 2 way. I was also able to Google all of the manufacturers' names and find out what they offered within 5 minutes, with the exception of the Quaife. The Quaife is a geared unit, so it really isn't described in a 1 way, 1.5 way or 2 way designation. It really acts like a 1 way as far as I could tell with the model I used to have on my desk at a previous job.

Incorrect. 1982 was the year the Turbos first became available with the BW T5.

Wrong guy, grab some factory information on this subject. The owner can look at the template under the hood, which indicates the type of tranny his car came with, but all 82s made for the year of 82 were auto.

see I went to there web sites and did not see products for the S130. So I not sure how you found stuff. I did research and found nothing on the subject. As for seraching our forums all I've found is stuff related to R180s or R200 in Z31's, the 280zx seems to be left in the dark on everything kind of like me, I the last person to find stuff it seems. Anyway, the NISMO unit IS a 2way JMORTENSON? What question were you referring to that I had, The one about pinion gears? I'll have to check the production date badge to make sure it is an 82 since evryone is getting bent out of shape about the Borg Warner trans in my Z. P.S I know 83 came available with P90A heads but the previous told me he got the head out of and 83 and put it on my 82, (I checked the head it is a P90a) thats not the point of this post though.

see I went to there web sites and did not see products for the S130. So I not sure how you found stuff. I did research and found nothing on the subject. As for seraching our forums all I've found is stuff related to R180s or R200 in Z31's, the 280zx seems to be left in the dark on everything kind of like me, I the last person to find stuff it seems.

You have to use a little common sense when you're looking. How many 280ZX's do you see on the street. How many race 280ZX's have you seen lately, outside of hybridz? I have NEVER seen a 280ZX on a racetrack in person. I've seen pictures of the Electromotive one and a couple pics in other books and magazines and pics here of Afshin's car and a couple others, but the 280ZX is not a popular car to be modding. There are certainly a bunch of cool ZX's here, but when you're selling parts there aren't many ZX owners to sell to. Look for the cars that ARE popular. The early Z's would certainly be more popular as would the 240SX and 300ZX. An R200 is an R200, with the exception of the short nose ones that came around in the 90+ cars anyway.

Anyway, the NISMO unit IS a 2way JMORTENSON?

Yes.

What question were you referring to that I had, The one about pinion gears?

No, I was referring to what diffs are available in 1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way. I literally went to Google, typed in "KAAZ 240SX 1 way 1.5 way 2 way" and searched and found all the info on the KAAZ. Then I did the same with Cusco.

Wrong guy, grab some factory information on this subject. The owner can look at the template under the hood, which indicates the type of tranny his car came with, but all 82s made for the year of 82 were auto.

The plaques on my Turbo 280ZX car have a manufacture date of 6/82. It has a T5 tranny. And no, it wasn't a swap. Also, you will find a number of magazine articles, books, and service manuals that will also state that '82 debuted the manual Turbo model in the US (specific citations available once I get home). I am curious what "factory" information are you referring to, as I have never heard of what you stated before.

KUBO-Z you are thinking of 81 280ZXs those were all autos not 82.

(I asked my Dad which has been workimg for Nissan/Datsun for nearly 30 years, not to mention he is an ASE Master Tech, I think he would know)

To fill you in on production date mine was made in 1/82.

Thank you JMortenson I assume you must have looked into the NISMO LSD or know someone that does/did to know that for 100% sure it is a 2way.

As silly as it sounds between KAAZ, NISMO,and Cusco do any of them make and R200 diff ready to go with a 2way LSD, I've just heard installation is a pain in the butt. If not I guess I take the rear end to a drivetrain shop to ensure an LSD is installed correctly.

? Why would you go looking for an LSD for a 240sx when you've got an S130? DO they have the same diff?

Yeah I know 280zx's are not the most popular car and for various reasons I'm sure. That is the very reason I want to build one up, weird as it sounds. I could very easily pick a 240sx and build a drift machine, but that is not very unique. 240Z, thats another thing, but still too popular. Someone has to be the underdog!

Yeah I know 280zx's are not the most popular car and for various reasons I'm sure. That is the very reason I want to build one up' date=' weird as it sounds. I could very easily pick a 240sx and build a drift machine, but that is not very unique. 240Z, thats another thing, but still too popular. Someone has to be the underdog![/quote']

Hehe, you and I are in the same 280ZX boat. I've got two '82's, one NA, one turbo. There's a number of other fixed up 280ZX's here in the Bay Area too. I've also been debating the LSD question myself. I really prefer Quaife's LSD for durability, warranty, and the more "analog" way the torque is biased; if I understand the clutch-types correctly, I think their limited-slip effect is more off-or-on.

This is what Kaaz offers...

http://www.kaazusa.com/KAAZ%20USA%20-%20Products_files/KaazProductList.xls

This is what precision gear has...

http://precisiongear.com/powerbrute.htm

I haven't really looked into Cusco so I better not comment on it. The price for any r180 LS assembly from precision gear is 450. For a R200 it's 600. From Kaaz the LS assembly for an R200 is over 900. I don't know about the R180. The only thing the Kaaz offers that is better than the one from nismo or precision gear is one more clutch disk on each side. Also they have more breakaway torque. All that means is how hard you have to turn to make the inside tire slip. If your car is before "84 you will have to install the bolt spacers to use the LS carrier from any company you buy it from because the 10mm housing is discontinued. The Kaaz unit can be either a 1.5 way or a 2 way. Check the chart. The Precision gear or nismo (they are the same part) lsd is a 2-way. I don't know much about the quife unit. If you want to spend that kind of money, go ahead. I think that the others will offer you the same performance, that's just my opinion though. None of the companies offer a complete LSD. You will have to install anything you get in a R200 housing or 180 or whatever. I hope this helps somewhat and if you do decide to get a unit from precision gear, let me know and I may be able to cut you some kind of deal. I will be a dealer for them in about a week or two.

you do decide to get a unit from precision gear, let me know and I may be able to cut you some kind of deal. I will be a dealer for them in about a week or two.

I may be interested in a PG R200 LSD for my '82 turbo, depending on price of course. I realize I need to get some kind of spacers; is this something you would be able to get, or would I be able to get from my local hardware store?