HybridZ

Hardest car to change spark plugs on?

DavyZ

V6 Ford Aerostar. If I remember correctly the labor books charge 6 hrs for plugs, cap, and rotor button.

My 96 Pathfinder is a fairly close second. Passenger's side is easy, Driver's side requires a special tool included in the tool pouch that will let you get about 1/4 turn each pull.

hey, you guys need to get one of those wrench necks that are flexible, they are hard to describe, but they work wonders. My father has a buick park avenue and its a pain to get the far plugs but the flexible wrench makes it easier.

I am with Jamie, I have a 97 LT1 Fbody and it is an all day job with a lift. You have to remove the freaking alternator for the ones up front on the passenger side and you have to have a Lift and ALOT of patients to get the ones on the back of the motor. It would be faster to drop the motor and front cross member all in one shot to do the plugs. I have worked on alot of cars in my days and that one was by far the WORST!

Myron

since i work on ford for a living i can tell you about worst car-an early 90s tbird supercharged v6.the aerostars arent bad if you lift it and go through fender well.gm f bodys are bad.most late model cars have 100,000 mile plugs.the manufacturers are hoping the car gets totaled before it needs a tune up.

Gotta say mine was a 98 mitsubishi montero sport. Customer thought we were ripping him off when we quoted 300+ for a tune up. Then he took it to a couple of other places, and we were the cheapest! INtake manifold, throttle body, ....

UGHHHH!!! At least it uses platinum plugs that only need to be changed every 100000 miles.

Bill

The hardest ones I've ever owned were Number one, 1968 Shelby GT-500 with optional side oiler 427. Had to pull the engine just to see the plugs. Second was my 1970 Duster, 440 with Hooker equal length headers. Had to remove those monsters to get to the plugs. Third was my wifes old 1991 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 3.1. Had to remove front motor mount and rock the engine forward to get to the back bank of plugs. fmad.gif

Originally posted by spdsk8r:

Second was my 1970 Duster, 440 with Hooker equal length headers. Had to remove those monsters to get to the plugs. :

Man I was just about to post about my '72 Duster with a 440. But I had the original exhaust manifolds on there. So you had to put your arm in from the front of the engine to reach the back plugs. The manifolds were log type and were 1/2" from the fender wells

Originally posted by ZROSSA:

Wifes Subaru legacy gt. Took four hours to do the plugs. The factory guys do it from underneath but there was now way I could do it that way at the time. I just take it to the dealer now.

Douglas

That sounds strange. I just recently changed plugs on our '98 Legacy Outback, and it was a piece of cake. You have to remove the airflow meter on one side and the windshield washer on the other, but all in all a 30 minute job.

I've heard the big block Cougars, late 60's, are a real PITA. That motor just barely fits between the fenders, and it has solid motor mounts as a result. No room to get to the plugs at all -- just pull the motor.