HybridZ

NZR-How to quit a job

Owen

If I were to quit my job without giving notice, how would I handle the tax stuff? I mean, I'd need to notify the government that I'm not working there anymore wouldn't I? Or does the company handle all that, after they've figured out I left.

Just hypothetical, some of us in the office were wondering what the correct answer was.

Owen

Better yet, keep going to work, but just stop WORKING at work. See how long it takes before you get fired. I did this for a few weeks at my job, but it seems that the Navy just doesn't care if I work or not. I din't get fired :(.

Let us know if you decide to go this route, should make for some interesting reading....

:) Mike

i quit last december just before new years weekend-the ford dealer i was wrenching for was screwing me on the flat rate pay system.i told them 2 days before.now i have to start anther job next week at another dealer.but its union so they either have to pay me or lay me off if its slow.bad time to start a new job-its too hot out.like 100+.i have been working on my z but i put a/c in the garage.

Giving a notice I think is to let the company replace the lost of a employee. Also it helps when u find another job and u give the company as a reference.

Yeah, if you cared about the company and your next job required a reference. But taking that out of the picture, it seems everyone has the same answer. I'll let the guys here know what I found out.

Seeing how long it would take to get fired is pretty funny! Maybe one day...:-)

Owen

I've been skating here at betaMotorsports for 3 years and they haven't fired me yet! When I was part owner of a software company I was fired at least weekly. Some of the reasons were:

1. Refusing to wear a suit and tie.

2. Arguing loudly against a confusing server/network acronym naming standard (previously, the domain was "Looney Tunes" and all the servers were characters in that cartoon series.)

3. Throwing a lemon jelly donut in the President's face during a meeting.

4. Starting a "Ken Head" coloring contest featuring the President's face as the coloring subject.

5. Having Kaos (the international organization of evil) hijack the newly introduced intra-net that was being completely ignored.

6. Calling Vice-President of Marketing a "complete f***ing idiot" in an executive staff meeting.

I'm sure there were more reasons...

Heh, I am a network administrator and system admin. I work in server room, dusty areas, go on locations where it's not clean. Crawl under people's desks to get to PCs in areas that haven't been vaccuumed in this millenia.

I am expected to wear casual dress shoes, clean (not faded, this is stated in the HR policy) polo or dress shirts, and slacks. This is very efficient, of course, when I wind up walking dirty half the time, and ruin good clothes

Just recently HR banned the wear of cargo pants... on every day use, including casual friday. So much for casual friday when you're only allowed either a: regular work attire from 4 other days, or b: clean jeans, tennis shoes, and a polo or hawaiian shirt.

I can understand some kind of dress code when dealing with customers if the customers expect it. Ultimately you don't want to put anything in the way of making a sale. But, many companies confuse customers with co-workers. A customer is someone who will give your company more for product or services. The whole "internal customer" managment mantra is BS because the "internal customer" isn't paying. "Internal customers" are co-workers and their focus should be on the real, paying customers.

I can understand some kind of dress code when dealing with customers if the customers expect it. Ultimately you don't want to put anything in the way of making a sale. But, many companies confuse customers with co-workers. A customer is someone who will give your company more for product or services. The whole "internal customer" managment mantra is BS because the "internal customer" isn't paying. "Internal customers" are co-workers and their focus should be on the real, paying customers.

exactly. I never interface with external customers, so I don't understand the need for a dress code. Then again, working for a credit union, they got some asswhack rules here. I still have no idea or explanation why I can't wear cargo pants, which are way comfier and probably more presentable than jeans anyway.