HybridZ

XTD clutch?

Phyxius

Has anyone heard of the 'XTD' racing clutches that are being sold on ebay? The page claims it can hold up to 450hp, but it only costs about 200 shipped. I'm tending to be a little skeptical here. Anyone have any experience with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/81-89-300ZX-280ZX-XTD-RACING-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQitemZ7985769614QQcategoryZ33730QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• 2 weeks later...

The pressure plate has BK on a shield with 'wings' stamped on it. Kinda looks like a pilot's wing like they wear on their uniforms... It does appear to have been painted rather hastily, but other than that, it looks solid.

The clutch plate looks to be put together well. There are no markings other than the XTD sticker.

Anyone know the origin of the pp?

• 2 weeks later...

well.. 8 hours later, and as alone as I was when I started, I got the clutch in. Putting a tranny back in by yourself is no small task....

After about a 1 mile test drive, all I can say is wow... It engages noticably faster, but it's not at all a pain to drive. It doesn't chatter, or anything like that. The petal is somewhat harder to push, but not enough to cause discomfort.

*Edit* I'd venture to say that my car...for some reason...feels more responsive, and tight. I did spill some gear oil out without replacing it, but I had overfilled it a little to begin with...lol...maybe the extra oil was causing it to lag, and I didn't know the difference.

All my worries about driving in town are gone. If it will hold the power, they say it will, I'd recommend it to anyone....so far...

We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Oddly, they did not recommend a break in period. ACT has a similar clutch and they claim all you need is a few nice slips with this material, so that's what I did. I haven't had any slippage yet, and I've been full throttle in the power band in every gear except 5th.

OK after reading this threat I bought one too. I will probably be installing it next week. And the weekend after that I have a track day coming up. So I 'll be guinea pig number two.

I'll let you guys know How it turns out.

• 4 weeks later...

I just remove the engine. In my workspace I have a electric winch on a beam above my car. This makes it very easy to remove the engine. I am also running megasquirt so removal of the wiring loom is easy aswel.

The clutch is holding fine. I was at a track day three weekends back. I did about twenty hard launches and the clutch is working great. Just a small amount off judder when trying to slowly get the car rolling. definetaly (sp?) something I can live with.

It was great to beat Z32 twin turbos with my old Z. they kept trying and trying. But in the end there were only 2 cars that I could not beat. Both were heavilly modified twin turbos.

So all things considered I am very happy with the new clutch. I hope it will last a while.

• 1 month later...