HybridZ

My son left for AF Basic training yesterday!!!

wheelman

Yesterday my son Derek left for Airforce basic training. Up until the day before it seemed like just another summer camp type trip but then I realized he won't be coming back home to live with us again, at least not permanent. Boy what a wierd experience. I look at all the things we've done together and think, WOW, now I have to find someone else to do those things with. I didn't realize just how much I enjoyed having him and his friends around, especially the ones that are into cars, I'm really going to miss him. There were things that bugged me, mostly his music and how loud he always had to have it, but they were mostly minor things. Anyway he will be in San Antonio Texas by Tuesday and basic lasts 6 weeks, then it looks like he'll be sent to Mississippi for tech school. He wants to be stationed in Japan or Europe but I think he'll be happy where ever he ends up.

A word of advice to all you young fathers or fathers to be out there, enjoy the time you have with your children as they leave before you know it.

Wheelman

Ahhh... the memories. "Pick 'em up... put 'em down, pick 'em up... put 'em down"

July is one darn hot month to be shipping out... probably the hottest! I shipped 16 July and I'll never forget getting off the plane in San Antonio and being greeted by the humidity.

Do you know his AFSC? My tech school was at Keesler AFB in Biloxi. Spent the better part of a year there.

Not sure what his AFSC is yet but all the jobs he's up for have their tech school at Keesler. His recruiter said he'll probably be there for at least 6 months, most likely longer.

I shipped off to basic on June 29th in 85, lost my luggage on the way there and had to wait over the 4th of July weekend to start actual training. It really sucked not having any clothes, soap, shampoo, deodorant or underwear for the 4 days it took to get my luggage. After that basic was pretty easy and I have many good memories from it.

My tech school was at Lowry in Denver. It lasted just under 6 months so I was there until about christmas time. Denver can be very cold in the winter and is pretty hot and humid in the summer.

I'll keep everyone updated on his progress.

Wheelman

My best friend just finished tech school (Sheppard, in Tx) on Thursday. He was there just over 6 months. Its gonna be hot and humid in Tx right now, thats gonna really suck. Well I'm sure your son will do fine. I'll wish him luck.

Funny this should come up. I have been looking into the Air Force a lot this past month. Both from the enlisted side and the officer side. I'm trying to see how much help a BS in psychology will help. Like your son I would like to be stationed over seas. I too would appreciate any further input that anyone has.

Matt

Matt,

What type of job are you interested in?

If you want to be a pilot I would look at a technical degree. When I was enlisted one of the criteria to be a pilot was an engineering or scientific type degree, not sure how things are now. A recruiter would be able to answer any questions you have, you might also checkout the Airforce website.

It's tough to give much meaningful advice without knowing more about what you're looking for.

Being an officer means more pay and better benefits but also has more political stuff to deal with and in the Airforce if you aren't a pilot your promotion potential is limited to about the Colonel level.

Being enlisted means a lot less BS to deal with (sort of), more hands on work and with a degree your promotion potential is only limited by you. You also have the option to apply to become an officer later if you want.

I was enlisted in the Airforce for 7 years and got out when my dad passed away. Looking back I wish I'd stayed in. I think it was the best decision I ever made to sign up, I matured and grew as a person in ways I never would have any place else and have many wonderful memories of that time.

Do yourself a big favor, be open minded, check it out very thoroughly from as many angles as you can and then make your decision. I personally had a very good experience with it and would do it again given the chance.

Wheelman

If you want to be a pilot I would look at a technical degree. Wheelman

I'm not so sure this is a hard' date=' fast rule anymore. Several of my pilot friends had non-technical degree's. One was a business major and the other was criminal justice. Technical degrees do help, though, when it comes to learning the mathematics and physics behind flight principles. I was not a pilot, but I was aircrew and had close working relationships with pilots, Nav's, FE's and such.

in the Airforce if you aren't a pilot your promotion potential is limited to about the Colonel level.

This, too, may have changed a bit. I know you no longer have to be a rated officer (Pilot/Nav) to command a squadron.

Matt,

If you're serious about joining the AF then I say do it. Although I only served 7 years I will never regret my time in the service.

Sure... there was BS to deal with... but its much, much thicker in corporate America. I learned alot about myself, dedication, sacrifice and all that jazz. Sounds a bit like a recruiting schtick, I know... but things I learned in the AF are benefiting me to this day and, funny enough... only recently am I realizing it.

There are alot of members here who are serving, or have served, in all the branches. Ask around... you'll get lots of advice!

Wheelman, Your son is someone who should be looked up to on MANY levels in this day and age. In such an uncertain time, your son has chosen to DO SOMETHING where he can make a difference, learn along the way, Mature overnight, and contribute in a positive way to the world in which we all live. :2thumbs:

Although your heart may be heavy, take pride in the fact that your son made a choice and is acting, rather than sitting on the sidelines of life, wondering "What next" or complaining about the world situation, but not "DOING something" to make a difference. :cool:

You're a lucky man! :2thumbs:

Mike

I read things like this, think of my 4 year old and want to bust.

I know they have to grow up and go out on their own at some point, but good lord, the thought of it when he is this small. Good luck to you. As you know, lots of letters make boot camp more bearable.

As far as joining the Air Force, become an officer if they will take you. Enlisted men make a fraction of what the officiers do. And as for promotions, the lowest ranked officiers outrank the highest ranked enlisted so no contest there. If you go enlisted you will most likely start out cleaning toilets somewhere. The more people above you the more chit that can roll downhill on you. It is definitely a class system and the enlisted are well on the bottom.

But, with all this talk of the war and the military not meeting quotas, some branches of the service are being very selective with who they will take as an officier. The son of a friend at work just joined the Navy and he had to enlist. They would not accept him as an officer even with his recent 4 year degree. He got into a crypo field, with advanced schools and automatic promotion to E4. His big goal is to do a Mike Kelly, get the clearances and hope they carry him through retirement. But I was amazed to find out even at that rank he is only making about $24K a year. Enlisted salaries haven't come up much since I got discharged in 1982.

BTW, if you do join up get a guaranteed job assignment before you sign. The missle silos in North Dakota are full of guys wearing glasses who joined up with the idea of becoming a pilot. Not that there is anything wrong with the guys doing silo duty. God bless them. Just don't get disillusioned about what you expect.

It's seeing the young men and women that voluntarily make the choice to serve their country and protect out freedom (even though so many of us are ungrateful) that really helps to motivate me. I'm sure that the level of pride you fathers (and any mothers) have for your children must be immense. And I thank you all for your input. I have done quite a bit of research and am continuing to do so. I feel the need to make something more of my life and believe that this could be a good option. As far as what I am looking for, something in the line of a mechanical officer, if I don’t go enlisted.

Matt

Guest ON3GO

1st i want to say your son is a great man for doing what he is doing, and congrats to you for raising such a man.

on the topic of the army, navy and AF... the only reason i didnt join (the AF atleast) was i got a bad taste in my mouth from the recruiter when he talked to me. seemed he really didnt care about me as a person. he promised one thing and when it came for me to sign away he didnt keep his word.

i wish that it could have been different as i would have loved to join the AF and start my life in something i consider very important in mine and everybodys life.

best of luck to you and your son..

mike

Mike,

I'm sorry to hear that about the recruiter you encountered, although it's not the first time I've heard negative things about them. My recruiter was basically honest with me but there was only so much he could do to satisfy my desires. Once I was in and had been through basic and tech school it was a good experince and I felt the Airforce (meaning the people I directly worked with) cared about me and wanted to help me with my career. Unfortunately in my short sighted view of the world I decided to get out after my dad passed away and have regretted it ever since.

Edit: I think Derek's recruiter was honest with him and Derek was always positive about him. I guess he probably did a better job for Derek than mine did for me.

Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words, I feel like you guys are part of my extended family.

Derek is a good kid and has had this as his goal now for about 2 years. It makes me proud that he made the decision and has stuck with it and I know he'll do well.

Off we go into the wild blue yonder!!!!!

Wheelman

Wheelman,

I am sure your sun will do great.

Do they still let the parents come down the last week to see them graduate ? Did they do that when you were in?

If so I would highly suggest it. The time of graduation your son will probably be in the best shape of his life and have a strong military bearing that will disappear shortly after going to tec school.

Congratulations.

...time of graduation your son will probably be in the best shape of his life and have a strong military bearing that will disappear shortly after going to tec school.

It'll definately tone down in Tech School... and be totally gone when he reaches the 'Real Air Force'! Lol

Parents can still attend the graduation ceremony and I, too, encourage it. I will never forget how proud my father was... made everything seem worthwhile.

Tell Derek to hang in there. The first few days of Basic are a little intimidating! But when he gets to Japan or Europe, he will ove it. I was in Japan for 2 years and would still go back if I could. Germany is great too. Good luck to him, what is his AFSC going to be?

I was in th AF myself for 4 years. Basic was in San Antonio from mid April to the end of June. Recruiter said I would be going in about 2 weeks after I signed. He called the next day and said things changed and you leave the next day! Prick. At that time you did not get a AFSC until you completed basic. Got sent to Lowry AFB in Denver for aircraft weapons school.

No regrets here, it was the best time of my life. I still have airman friends from that time I still am in contact with. They also say the same thing.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Another Air Force vet here. I was an Instrument Autopilot tech stationed at Pope AFB. My Dad served 20 in the Army and I was gonna do the same in the AF but I let my Dad talk me out of reupping to sell cars!!! Probably the biggest mistake I ever made in my life. I would have only had 1 year left til retirement!! The closer the date gets the more it hits me. It would have been nice getting an extra $1,300 of a month for the rest of my life!!

Congrats to your son on joining THE BEST branch of service to make a career.

The Air Force enlisted ain't dumb, we send our officers out to die!!

REMF's all the way baby!!! haha