HybridZ

Went Drifting....

Airjockie

Spent the last 2 weeks working on the Z doing the diff, getting wheels, tires, parts, and polishing up the old paint. Swapped in a Nismo 2 Way LSD, 4.11:1 R&P, fabed up a cooling fan on the rad, but found out the hard way that it lacked the CFM's to pull air thru the rad during a NY traffic jam.

Other things on the car...

280Z L28E bored over, cam, FI swap, 5 speed, full Tokico Illumina's, Tokico springs, Watanabe RS 14" with Falken RT615's on the front, RT215 on the back...brand new and very sticky, other odds and ins...

10 hour drive in sweltering heat, with the heater on, no A/C, car overheating twice on the GW bridge in NY, took the civic as well...so I paid double the tolls and gas all the way, a hotel room, food and lots of water, got drunk off my *** at the party of the year, .........and I only got one run in all day that was even close to looking like I was drifting. :wacko:

first run...the car lacked power, then overheated again.

Second run...rad cap blew off, and over heated again.

(2 trips to Autozone 5 miles away, and about an hour to fab up the fan to the car)

third run...no Overheat..but also no power.

(found the tube for the MAF and TB was torn, and fuel injectors not working)

4th run...car lost fuel pump power

(the fuse holder for the fuel pump popped out of the fuse)

no more runs...but then the compitition started...and I prayed for one good run.. :(

Last run....car ran great, all power, no overheat, new fan sounded like a jet engine, and woke me up from thinking I couldn't do anything that day....

Was it worth it....

H3LL YEaaa!!!!

Finally something of my Z in action...

The run that made my day

Gawd I love my car...It may be old...but it pulls now...and slides...

And the Z came back from MD to CT in better shape than when it went down in. B)

I built this car to bring some class to the drifting scene, I'm tired of seeing 240sx's everywhere...and they need to go back to their roots...go Old School!!!

I got a drifting clinic on the 13th and the 20th..so I hope the tires last a while..but doubt it...I got plenty though...I got to master this damn diff...it's still a virgin.

Guest ON3GO

awesome car and that car sounds nice.

i love drifting, and untill you live it 1st hand you just cant understand it.

such a hard sport and man you need skills but i love it.

keep at it, you will get there soon, just keep tweeking the settings of the car.

mike

awesome car and that car sounds nice.

i love drifting' date=' and untill you live it 1st hand you just cant understand it.

such a hard sport and man you need skills but i love it....

[/quote']

:lol: I'm not trying to start a huge debate, but you could say I've been 'drifting' for years.. Living in northern canada, you pretty much HAVE to know how to drive like that if you drive a RWD vehicle in the winter. (for those of you who only see snow in pictures/movies, it's not a light dusting.. I'm talking 4 foot snowbanks, and 4" packed on all the roads. For 3-4 months. :) ) I've scared the crap out of sooo many people with my 'driving style' and I never thought much of it till the whole drifting scene took off... Not saying these guys don't have skill.. but I've been thinking lately, I basically taught myself how to drive like this... thats probly why I have trouble seeing it as a "sport requiring great skill" Ussualy I'd have to do it in the winter, as my vehicles never had much power, so dry pavement was hard to work with. A few years back I got a Nissan King cab V6 and THEN... :twisted: I actually had the 'umph' to throw it around, on dry roads. It's not the fun of it I dislike, just the hype I guess.. Oh, and I can't afford new tires evry month! :lol:

6-3-2-1 header, 2.5 inch strait back to 2 90* bends and into a Thrush Turbo Muffler. I bought a SuperTrap from someone on Zcar, but he's failed to ship it...so I had to make up a cheap quik fab job exhaust...and the whinning noise from the engine is a Flexi-Fan high RPM fan, mounted directly to the waterpump with some spacers....and no fan clutch....but I took that off today and went back to stock...the car is much quiter on the road now...hehe

I've been trying for two years to get the car to do the drifting thing...and I was always trying junk tires and anything I could get my hands on...then when I got two of the D1 drivers to take it out for a spin..they said I have the car nearly perfectly set up...except I should go with full grippy tires all the way around...but out of those two years...very little seat time...

My next step is to practice some more, do the clinics, get better...then find ways to tweek up the suspention a little more. There is just not enough steering angle to do a high angle drift and control it.

But to my surprize...the way it came out, and watching the second vid to see how fast it came out from that spin-out and got back up to speed and pointed back in the right direction....blew my socks off...hehe

<---Grew up in the mountains of New Mexico....7 miles on a dirt road to get home everyday...snow, ice, and MUD...lots of mud...

but getting the tires to break at the right time, with sticky tires on good pavement in dry conditions...is still very tricky

I still need tons of practice:redface:

Guest ON3GO
:lol: I'm not trying to start a huge debate, but you could say I've been 'drifting' for years.. Living in northern canada, you pretty much HAVE to know how to drive like that if you drive a RWD vehicle in the winter. (for those of you who only see snow in pictures/movies, it's not a light dusting.. I'm talking 4 foot snowbanks, and 4" packed on all the roads. For 3-4 months. :) ) I've scared the crap out of sooo many people with my 'driving style' and I never thought much of it till the whole drifting scene took off... Not saying these guys don't have skill.. but I've been thinking lately, I basically taught myself how to drive like this... thats probly why I have trouble seeing it as a "sport requiring great skill" Ussualy I'd have to do it in the winter, as my vehicles never had much power, so dry pavement was hard to work with. A few years back I got a Nissan King cab V6 and THEN... :twisted: I actually had the 'umph' to throw it around, on dry roads. It's not the fun of it I dislike, just the hype I guess.. Oh, and I can't afford new tires evry month! :lol:

dude my reply wasnt towards you at all... i just wrote what i wanted to write about the topic.

but your right on a few things that driving like the way you discribe and drifting have some common things between them, but its alittle different when your going 90mph full sideways around a bend with another car about 10 inchs way from your rear quarter panel.

drifting does get pricey, breaking things left and right, tires going bad every event... BUT man is it fun.

i always tell everybody and anybody to try it once or atleast get a ride in a pro's car while they drift.. it changes your view on it just like that!

mike

Its cool man, I wasn't saying you were saying anything.. to me... or anything.. :lol: Just started a thought in my head is all. I didn't wana take over the thread and make it go anti drifting VS drifting, thats all. I'm actually thinking I'll go out next summer (in the V8 RX7 I'm building at the moment) to a drift event, just for kicks and see how much smoke I can make. :twisted:

Guest Battle Pope
6-3-2-1 header' date=' 2.5 inch strait back to 2 90* bends and into a Thrush Turbo Muffler. I bought a SuperTrap from someone on Zcar, but he's failed to ship it...so I had to make up a cheap quik fab job exhaust...and the whinning noise from the engine is a Flexi-Fan high RPM fan, mounted directly to the waterpump with some spacers....and no fan clutch....but I took that off today and went back to stock...the car is much quiter on the road now...hehe

I've been trying for two years to get the car to do the drifting thing...and I was always trying junk tires and anything I could get my hands on...then when I got two of the D1 drivers to take it out for a spin..they said I have the car nearly perfectly set up...except I should go with full grippy tires all the way around...but out of those two years...very little seat time...

My next step is to practice some more, do the clinics, get better...then find ways to tweek up the suspention a little more. There is just not enough steering angle to do a high angle drift and control it.

But to my surprize...the way it came out, and watching the second vid to see how fast it came out from that spin-out and got back up to speed and pointed back in the right direction....blew my socks off...hehe[/quote']

I think I'm gonna put a supertrapp on mine once I get the webers on.

So wheres the drifting?

Didn't do to good with no power....

Fuel pump cutting out, over heating, maf/tb tube split...only got one run...that was a little sliding...but nobody was expecting it...so no vids or pics...

But I have an event on the 13th in NJ, and one at Lime Rock on the 20th...

I'm trying to get the car in top shape for both of those event...if possible...I might skip the NJ event due to lack of OT at work...

a lot of work into this car, to do the drifting....just to have simple stuff make it not go right...

I still need to get bigger sway bars, and the 240sx TB..then I should be golden...hehe

Thats cool, I wish my Z was together to go drift it some. Ive gone to a few events out here. twice with an old 200sx, and the last two with a 240sx. Power shouldnt be too much of an issue in a car as light as yours. The 200sx was maybe (on a good day) making 75-80 whp and I had no probs sliding it around, no smoke but it was still sliding.

Just some quick questions about the "scene" in your area. How often do you guys get an event? About how many cars show up? Whats the cost? If you were to rank yourself out of all the cars entered, where do you think your skill level is?

I think thats about it, Im just curious about the scene other places than here (pacific NW)

Later

Kenny