HybridZ

Header question

Guest coolmesser

Guest coolmesser

So now I have this "Mr. Goodwrench" 350 sitting in front of me. Before I take it to the mechine shop I am wondering what headers others have used with the 350 (or 383 I guess as well) that cleared using the JTR mounts in my '78 280.

tried the search and kept finding other engines discussed.

any direction would be helpful. you guys rock.

Headman tight tubes.

I have an iron head LT1 but the basic engine is still the same so they will fit yours. The only problem I've had is a burned plug wire caused by the LT1 routing and the close fit of the headers to the block.

Wheelman

While we are on this subject, Has any one used headers designed for a sbc into a 55-57 chevy. They look a lot like the .........Bugger, who makes them.......The ones Mike Kelly sold a while back.:-) Help Mike! Any way the ones mike has and a few others have were designed for a sbc into something like a 32 ford. Ones for the 55-57 chevy looked bloody similar and there are a few co's that make long tube headers for that aplication. Might be worth a look.

Douglas

Beware of the cheapo ebay headers. I too went this rout and to my dismay found out that they will not fit my Z. On the passenger side it hits the portion of the radious arm housing that is below the frame rail and on the driver's side it will not clear the steering shaft. I have a set of Sandersons on the way from JTR. I hope this works. I will keep you posted.

Guest coolmesser

thx for the replies. I am pretty sure I will get the sanderson's also. found out I was gonna hafta get a new starter also.

We use Hooker headers, made for the chevy v8 for the Datsun Z, I am not sure about the mmounts you are talking about. I just used motor plates. Everything fit pretty good. I also added a rear motor plate as well, this plate fits between the engine block and bell housing.

So now I have this "Mr. Goodwrench" 350 sitting in front of me. Before I take it to the mechine shop I am wondering what headers others have used with the 350 (or 383 I guess as well) that cleared using the JTR mounts in my '78 280.

tried the search and kept finding other engines discussed.

any direction would be helpful. you guys rock.

Sanderson's arrived last night. I test fit the driver's side and it looks like it will be fine without any contact with the Steering shaft. Have not looked at the passenger side yet but I am sure it will be fine.

These headers are a lot tighter than my made in Taiwan "bock hugger type" ebay header were. They bend back towards the engine block whereas the others did not.

I will update later on and try to post a pic after I bolt them on the Z.

Sanderson's arrived last night. I test fit the driver's side and it looks like it will be fine without any contact with the Steering shaft. Have not looked at the passenger side yet but I am sure it will be fine.

These headers are a lot tighter than my made in Taiwan "bock hugger type" ebay header were. They bend back towards the engine block whereas the others did not.

I will update later on and try to post a pic after I bolt them on the Z.

what was the part # on the sanderson headers that fit with the JTR kit.....?

and someone mentioned "S&S" headers, are those the same as sandersons?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beware of the cheapo ebay headers. I too went this rout and to my dismay found out that they will not fit my Z. On the passenger side it hits the portion of the radious arm housing that is below the frame rail and on the driver's side it will not clear the steering shaft. I have a set of Sandersons on the way from JTR. I hope this works. I will keep you posted.

There are two types of headers generally sold on Ebay. There are the kind that you got...like these (they won't work):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-SB-HUGGER-HEADERS-265-283-305-307-327-350-BLACK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33631QQitemZ7988999853QQrdZ1

and then there is the other kind, which fit perfectly fine (I am running these on my Hybrid Z):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-CHEVY-HEAVY-DUTY-STREET-ROD-HUGGER-HEADERS-SBC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34203QQitemZ4564305350QQrdZ1

Guest 305240

I went with the El Cheapo block huggers off ebay...guess what? I should have ordered the tight tucks. Big difference. No headaches either. Anyone want a set of chrome block huggers never used? Be great for street rods, not Z cars.

Sandersons fit great. You may be right Awd92, those do look like the crappy ones I bought over a year ago and are now stuck with. The part number for the Sandersons through JTR (you can see them on their web site by the way) is DAT-402C.

That is for the 1 5/8 primary ceramic coated headers that I bought. Nice fit and good looks to boot. I am also using the MSA mounts so they work with that set up as well as the JTR set up.

Sandersons fit great. You may be right Awd92' date=' those do look like the crappy ones I bought over a year ago and are now stuck with. The part number for the Sandersons through JTR (you can see them on their web site by the way) is DAT-402C.

That is for the 1 5/8 primary ceramic coated headers that I bought. Nice fit and good looks to boot. I am also using the MSA mounts so they work with that set up as well as the JTR set up.[/quote']

If it makes you feel any better...I have the same set in my garage. I made the same mistake as you did :) That's why I'm always quick to point out which headers will work and which headers won't...in case anybody uses the search function they'll know.

What is a part number and address for >1 5/8" headers? I tried and can't seem to get their site to open.

I have 1 5/8" and they are fine for lower hp but restrictive at higher hp

Thanks

http://www.ssheaders.com

these are not the same as the sandersons. part number 5205 fits our cars, whether using the hooker/scarab, jtr, or msa kit.