HybridZ

Thinking of selling my car...

Phyxius

22 and living at home with Mom and Dad. :shock: And for free no less, do you also have fridge privileges?

Dude, if you were able to earn a BA by the time you were 19 and haven't moved forward with life since then it's time to get off the stick and do something. Set some goals, do what it takes to move towards them, the first being to move out on your own.

I hope this isn't to harsh but I just had to say it!!!

Wheelman

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, you're just saying that because he got a BA at 19. "Set up a goal and works toward it", that's not how it works, you gotta know what you really want first. I got a friend who's been co-oping since he's in college, he's the calculating, concentrating career type, that's because he know what he wants. He's in USA getting MA. prolly graduated now. Even a charging career type like him once confide in me "I might have picked the wrong profession. If I can do it all over again...."

Then I have another friend, graduated with a BA in math. He thought he got his career figured out when Quixtar hit him, "This is what I am going to do" and you can really see the Quixtar flame in his eyes. Now he doesn't mention Quixtar anymore. He's going nowhere because he isn't sure what he wants.

Then there's a friend of my dad's. He became a doctor as his parents wished. Now he's near 50 and he said he would rather do what he liked if he were wise enough to defy the parents and choose what he wanted.

Unless you already know what you want in life already, there will be EXPLORING. Not everybody moves out alone to a big city at 16 and became a rock star.

I do have goals, but when your trying to make it in certain industries (television for me) it takes a lot of time and a lot of working for very little money before you get going. BTW, I did live on my own for a while but when you owe 30k in student loans, sometimes its a good idea to live at home instead of paying rent. Yeah my car isn't the best investment, but you can Imagine how fun of a childhood I had finishing school that early and I'm just trying to do a few things I want to do before I'm old and wishing I had any fun in my youth. BTW, the average age for college grads moving out of their parent's home is 27 now. A degree will not guaruntee you a good job right out the door. It takes some time for a few people.

OK I stand corrected and admit that I jumped to conclusions that were not based on any data from your actual circumstances. When I was young it was expected that as soon as a young man finished college he would move out and make his own way in the world, times have changed apparently and I have not kept up. My son who is 18 just went off to Airforce basic training and will most likely not be moving back into my house, at least not for the next 4 years. These things color my view of how things are and I have no reference to draw on regarding how difficult it is to start off in life these days. Please accept my appology for jumping on your toes.

Wheelman

Guest bastaad525

nothing wrong with 'getting tied down' at ANY age, if you find the right woman. Hell I moved in with my then-g/f-now-wife when I was 20, we've been together 7 years (married for 1)... They've been a GREAT 7 years and I wouldn't trade them for anything, not for all the field-playing in the world. There's no rule that says you have to be a playa until you're X years.... come on now. I don't feel like I've missed out on anything or that I was 'tied down'.... life is much more enjoyable when you have someone you truly care about to share it with.

And about saving money by ditching the g/f, if it hadnt' been for her income on top of mine, my car would still be a daydream in the back of my head... I'd never have been able to afford to make it a reality. Girls dont' always just suck the money up, ya know.....

Though we've argued about the large amounts of money I've spent on the car, she's never once asked/told/hinted for me to get rid of it... quite the contrary, the two times I did strongly want to sell it, SHE was the one telling me not to.

Anyways, I say, don't sell it. Unless you need cash in a hurry, there will always be time to make more money. For me... I hit a point where... hey I knew I could keep putting money into this car forever if I really wanted to. But I don't. In my oppinion, I've already spent enough, if not too much. So... it's at the level it is now, and will most likely remain that way for a long time, if not then forever. Is it as fast as I want it to be? no. Handle or brake as good as I wish it did? no. Does it even look as nice as I wish it looked? no. But so what. It runs, and runs well, and is quick and very fun. If it's a big issue for you, than why not just do the same? Take a break, enjoy it how it is, accept that, it's going to be a long time (if ever) before you get it to be 'perfect', but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it the way it is.

I second jmortensen’s comment. Life has improved IMMEASURABLY after getting married (at the tender age of 30). I even have more time to work on my Z, since there’s some one to share the housework! What ties you down, saps your energy and wastes your time isn’t a spouse – it’s the children. Avoid them as long as possible – or, ideally, forever.

“Playing the field†only works if you’re a player by nature. Are you suave, resourceful, blessed with an attractive appearance? When I was 21 all that I did was study and save money. Between the 6 hours of homework everyday and the cystic acne, dating wasn’t an option.

Regarding your vehicular dilemma, sell BOTH the Grand-Am and the Z. Your Z is a 1979 ZX, and please don’t take this as an insult, but it’s not a classic, and is unlikely to appreciate in value. So sell both of those cars and get an econobox beater that’s reliable, cheap to insure and easy on gasoline.

As for figuring out what you want to do in life – well, that can only be accomplished in hindsight, and even then it's not clear! I know people in their 70’s – that’s right, in their 70’s – who are wrapping-up 45-year-long careers in engineering, and they still don’t know what they want to do, and they still have regrets over having gone into aerospace engineering during the Eisenhower administration!