HybridZ

Pick a wheel...

buZy

Researching to switch steering wheels. The one pictured is a Grant 12 inch grip center diameter. Feels way too small for the road. Want a increaed size but what diameter works best in a 240z? Something with wood grain and alum? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Picture_019.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've been wondering the same thing except for a 280zx, steering wheel is too large. From what I have been told anywhere from 13" to 14" inches is good. 13.5 seems like a possibly ideal size. I think I'll just end up going to pep boys and holding a 13/14" wheel and seeing what seems most comfortable size ways.

Buzy. I can't tell if yohave a cage in your, but I purchase a sparco 14.5 inch ralley wheel and if felt great with just the right amount of dish, But the first time I turned the wheel to the left I hit my elbow on the roll cage's driver side diagonal bar. Man was I pissed. I had to buy another wheel, this time a 13 inch momo. Bingo, no more brused elbow. Then the steering got too hard, That started me on a path to the power steering thing, So I mounted the miata PS rack. Man you change one thing, and the domino effect takes place. Anyway, back to your car. The larger wheel will give you better steering leverage for parking . The smaller wheel will give you more road feel/ quicker steering. But it's harder to steer. That's why they come so big in stock form, so it's easier to manuver around town.

I have the wheel you show in the picture. I've tried 15, 14, and then that 13 and the 13 was the only one that kept me from hitting the door panel with my elbows and hands. Yeah, it's a little hard to steer in a parking lot but that's nothing compared to the 250/45/15 slicks at 25 psi at an autox. The upshot is that if you drive it for a couple months and you'll have nice big arms for the ladies.