HybridZ

What type of steel for motormounts

rudypoochris

.250" think steel for engine mounts? :shock: How big is your engine?

Guys, there isn't ANYTHING on the car that would need 1/4" steel plate. Design a mount using a box shape (look at the stock mounts on the 240Z crossmember) and .095" wall 1020 would be fine. If you went with 4130 CroMo you can make the mounts out of .083". If you're building an engine plate, use 6061T651 aluminum in .250" thickness and drill a bunch of lightening holes.

We aren't modifying a Peterbuilt truck!

Thanks for the numbers john just what i needed :) and thanks others for the scrap yard idea i didn't think about that. But I don't think I will be going that route, im going to use emachineshop.com you guys should check it out. What you do is CAD out what you need using their software and then their robots cut it up for you and in a little time the piece arrives at your door. Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

.250" think steel for engine mounts? :shock: How big is your engine?

Guys' date=' there isn't ANYTHING on the car that would need 1/4" steel plate. Design a mount using a box shape (look at the stock mounts on the 240Z crossmember) and .095" wall 1020 would be fine. If you went with 4130 CroMo you can make the mounts out of .083". If you're building an engine plate, use 6061T651 aluminum in .250" thickness and drill a bunch of lightening holes.

We aren't modifying a Peterbuilt truck![/quote']

I would have to agree if the engine mount was directly over the frame mount, but if it is a JTR type mount that is cantelevered, it will have some flex. In my experiance anything that flexes will eventually fail. I will go with 1/4 in. and never worry about it.

My 2 cts. worth.

John D.

JTR makes the tried and true set back plates out of aluminum

https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Pages/Parts_DAT200.html

Not 1/4 steel and I have never heard of anyone saying the JTR pieces failed.

Hard to believe your web based cad parts will be any cheaper or quicker than ordering the JTR pieces.

And the salvage yards near me sells scrap for 25 cents a pound.