HybridZ

Best Junkyard Intercoolers

Guest Sotek75

Guest Sotek75

Been searching through all the old posts for best Junkyard intercoolers. Obviously NPR is the #1 choice. but what would the other most desirables be? Saab 9000? Audi? I'll be going to an import specialty yard soon and I wanted to keep an eye out. Thanks

The NPR is *VERY* hard to come by at the JY unless you go to a truck specific yard. In my opinion you cannot beat the Starion IC, much better than the plastic Volvo units and larger than the Audi Saab ICs. The Starion ICs are getting ultra rare now.

Wait a whle EVOs, SRT4s and PT Cruiser Turbos will be showing up in the JY soon!

Supra Mk4 (not Mk3!!) are also awesome too but also rare!

Yasin

I have a volvo intercooler and i is great for boost up to 14psi. After that it just can't get the job done. I ran a starion I/C on my last engine and the limit seemed to be around 18psi with the same efi setup. Two different engines so can't compare apples to apples. But with the volvo I can not go past 15psi without getting detonation. No matter what I do give it more fuel, less timing, or more time to cool off between runs. The only problem with the starion it can be tricky to install and it does have a big boost loss at 15psi+. Good luck

Guest Sotek75

So in choice the best/most realistic to find would be,

1. Starion

2. volvo

3. audi/saab

anything else?

know a website that has a lot of starion intercoolers so it shouldn't be to hard to get.

Guest bastaad525

Hmmm almost surprised this didn't make the list. I still have the Buick GNX I/C that Tim240z sold me. Never used it myself, but the Buick guys love them, apparently the stock I/C is good up to 400 hp or so?

It's for sale if anyone's interested, $50+shipping or come pick it up if you live anywhere near L.A.

mk3 IC damn good IC. all those who talk about pressure loss be damned
You cannot be serious. Pressure loss is a very big deal; if you try to overcome the loss by increasing your boost, you'll put your turbo out of it's efficiency range very quickly, turning it into a hair dryer instead.

The MK3 IC is not "damn good", it's a tiny little bottleneck, I'd sooner use a Probe IC.

You cannot be serious. Pressure loss is a very big deal; if you try to overcome the loss by increasing your boost' date=' you'll put your turbo out of it's efficiency range very quickly, turning it into a hair dryer instead.

The MK3 IC is not "damn good", it's a tiny little bottleneck, I'd sooner use a Probe IC.[/quote']

Ditto:shock: Go to a mk3 forum and ask what should be your first upgrade and 9/10 car guys will recommend intercooler.

ok so i guess running stock wastegate/boost on my turbo and seeing 7psi on my autometer doesnt mean anything to you, but it does to me.

No offense but you sound like someone who thinks because it is like this on my z at this boost level means that i'm right and everyone else including people with much more experience are wrong. I'm not saying I have the more experience then you, but I am saying that many people who do have more experience have said the mk3 intercooler is junk. Here is just ONE post/article about it. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98878&highlight=mk3 Also at 7psi the drop might not be big, but at 12-15 its huge. It also depends on where the wastegate gets it signal and where the autometer gets its signal. Even if it was in the correct location some turbos due to bigger exhaust, better intake piping, etc... will make 8-9psi with the wastegate stock.

agreed. i have a 3" dp so mabye im having like 2 or so psi of loss. i completly agree that this is not the IC to get for an extreme performance build, but it works for me and thats all im saying, i also like the fact that it has both ports on the same side. didnt mean to ruffle your feathers.

One point to be made is, since the Z/ZX did not come with an intercooler, it's going to be worth getting a good one if you go the trouble of installing one. If you have the ability to fabricate/install an intercooler, you are likely not going to be running stock boost levels.

Guest Z Draci

LOL, you beat me to posting that ebay one.

I've been searching for intercooler options for a while now and I happened to be crusing around ebay when I found the countless cheap options there!

I'm not 100% sure about the quality but it can't be that much worse than a used part from a junk yard.