HybridZ

Strange r200 from 87 turbo

Guest whyme

I went to a yard today and got and 87 turbo r200 .It didn't have the "finned" cover , But I could see no pin in center a clean shot.So I took it. I got it home opened it looks like it has no clutches as far as I can tell.But its not like the open rears I've seen and welded . It has 2 side gears and 4 pinion gears which are held in place by an open"nut" shaped device in the center.Camera is charging will post a pic asap. But has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Frank

Easiest way to tell if it is an LSD, is to turn one axle and if the other turns the same direction, then it is an LSD (or has been welded). If the other wheel turns the opposite direction, then it is an open diff.

It was already pulled when I got to it.So I don't know the date of build of the car.There are some#'s on the top in grease pencil.I will look too see if there is a build date for car on it.

Frank

Some of the later R200's (the shortnosed ones) had 4 pinion open diffs. I think that's what you have there, could have been swapped in from a short nosed diff. The cross pin shaft is an X shape with a pinion gear on each end, and in the middle they commonly have either a square or octagon shape.

There is no "shaft" x shaped or strait pin. Just an open cam nut shaped thing.Could be octagonal.4 of the sides hold the pinion gears in place.

Frank

That's it. THX. They had one morerear there so I'm going back today.As for photoshop, it was the first time I used it.Seemed to do the job pretty well.Was pretty simple.

Thanks again,

Frank

Well the other 3 he showed me were all open.So being the type of person I am I got pissed in my head and said Gimme the 300zx TT 91 rear on the shelf next to it :-) .So I have a r230 now cost me 250 he said he would sell me 2 cvs for 150 off a na will they work? I need 4 correct? Also can you mix and match the q45 cv's with 300zx? I know there are adaptor plates from modern-motorsports and someone here makes the back mount and I need to drill mustache bar and fabricate front mount correct? Just want too know If i am missing anything.

Thanks,

Frank

Guest crackerasscracker

remember the great white beastARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

remember the great white beastARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Um... what? Does this actualy ADD anything to the topic at hand? :lol: Or did I miss something... ?

Maybe he's has issues. I said to him on a post of his why haven't you tried your own suggestions and he came back with something about a claw.Anyone have an answer to the question at hand besides ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Thanks,

Frank

300zx NA CVs will not bolt up with the TT rear end. Only 300zx TT or q45 CVs will work (NA has the 5 bolt pattern, TT and Q45 have he same 6 bolt pattern).

Here's what you basically need (taken from Tim240z's instructions):

-Q45 or 300zxtt diff

-4 Q45/300zxtt axles (take apart and get the 4 CVs)

-new halfshafts (speedway engineering or moser)

-pair of CV adapters (Tim240z, another hybridz member...sorry I forgot the username, and modern motorsports all make adapters)

-can of grease

-driveshaft flange (depends on which diff you go with)

-fabricate a diff mount

-drill the r200 mustache bar (or buy a new one from arizona z car)

I have a set of 4 CV joints for this swap, already taken apart and cleaned. PM me if you are interested. Good luck!