HybridZ

Offical Ole Blue Z's Paint Job Thread! ALOT OF PICS!!!!!

Guest ON3GO

For awhile now ive been trying to get my blue Z done.. as far done as i can right now atleast.

if you remember my old thread in which i did alot of photoshop pics of different colors and themes then you know what kind of look i was going for.

if not.. heres the link.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=97092&highlight=paint+scheme

Me and my friend Ed who is on this site who will butt in about all of this, came together and desided what and how to do this Z.

He is a great paint and body guy, and im just learning this stuff so i didnt want to tackle it as ive been putting to much money into it for it to look crappy.

So he took on the paint and body work while i finish the engine and everything else so we can get it done in time for the SEZ event.

now.. we thought this car wouldnt need much work as it looked great before and seemed really rust/problem free..... boy were we wrong.

Ill let Ed talk about what was hell and what was worse.

This car has gone threw hell it seems, over 3 paint jobs in the past easy!

anyways heres some pics of whats been going on... theres ALOT more but i just resized and hosted a few..

also check in tomorrow for some updated pics.. it really is turning out AWESOME!

849_p87411.jpg

849_p87412.jpg

849_p87413.jpg

849_p87414.jpg

849_p87415.jpg

849_p87416.jpg

849_p87417.jpg

849_p87418.jpg

849_p87419.jpg

849_p87420.jpg

849_p87421.jpg

849_p87422.jpg

849_p87423.jpg

849_p87424.jpg

849_p87425.jpg

849_p87426.jpg

more to come..

Mike

LoL, this car seemed to be and easy tackle, weld up headlights, shave the antenna and fuel door, and the big tackle, smoothing the rear. Unfortunatly, the maco special single stage paint that was put on previously, bondoed over rust and holes and all sorts of other ****, so it's been an on going project of actually finding thigns wrong when you dont' expect them. I'm just praying I found all the hidden problems. This car has pretty much had hidden rust everywhere except the dang roof. Especially in the rockers. Then when I removed the doors, I found rust on the inside door jamb... never seen rust there before.. quite odd. We also discovered the car was previous wrecked on the driver front side.

The battery tray has been removed and smoothed along with numerous things welded and ground off in the engine compartment, also cutting of the radiator support for FIC tubing. This car has taken much longer than I anticipated. However It should be seeing paint soon and Mike will host the pics for me.

-Ed

Wow, looking good. You do have a lot of metal flake in that paint, very nice. Can't wait to se it finshed, It'll be a real thing of beauty when complete. Keep it up! I'd recommend on the engine bay to go with a two tone combination. Too much of one color can look bad aesthetically speaking. Blue/ silver or blue/chrome would look great. I know that is part of my goal Blue/chrome/stainless/polished/black. When all of those finishes are balances equally you've got a jaw dropper. Just a few recommendations from an artistic point of view!

Wow, looking good. You do have a lot of metal flake in that paint, very nice. Can't wait to se it finshed, It'll be a real thing of beauty when complete. Keep it up! I'd recommend on the engine bay to go with a two tone combination. Too much of one color can look bad aesthetically speaking. Blue/ silver or blue/chrome would look great. I know that is part of my goal Blue/chrome/stainless/polished/black. When all of those finishes are balances equally you've got a jaw dropper. Just a few recommendations from an artistic point of view!

Mike's got a lil something up his sleeve for that.

It's about a 3-4hr drive, easily doable. I'm definatly up for the trip as soon as I get my 5spd back in. I'm sure Mike will be available as well.

-Ed

Currently block sanding the car AGAIN as I had problems with my primer gun earlier today. Should have the blue on and hopefully clear by dusk tomorrow.

Your more then welcome to come on over.

us young guys would love to pick your brain!

your more then welcome to check out our cars..

i hope to have my VW rabbit some what near done body wise by nov.. we will see though.

mike

More than welcome to come check out the cars, hopefully mine will be out of primer by then. Wetsanded Mikes this morning, I had some scratches showing through the paint still, thought I got them all out but i can still make out some fine scratches. Looks like one more wetsand with some 600 and another 2 coats of color should do it. Currently on 5th coat of color. This car is going to look like glass Mike.

Man I'm exhausted, time for work.

-Ed

More than welcome to come check out the cars' date=' hopefully mine will be out of primer by then. Wetsanded Mikes this morning, I had some scratches showing through the paint still, thought I got them all out but i can still make out some fine scratches. Looks like one more wetsand with some 600 and another 2 coats of color should do it. Currently on 5th coat of color. This car is going to look like glass Mike.

Man I'm exhausted, time for work.

-Ed[/quote']

Where do you guys work out of?

yep its LSB.. right now it looks more teal but it was in the shade and no clear.. so we will see.

thanks guys for the kind words!

and Yasin.. about my brakes... umm that will be upgraded after the turbo lol... i did the green Z the correct way.. im doing this Z the backass way :D

and confused..

i work at a shop off of I-45 and build my engines/etc there..

ed is doing all the body/paint in his garage!!! and man i cant believe how awesome its turning out!

mike