HybridZ

Wideband 02 or EGT???

S30TRBO

After talking with James last night I did some research on the PLX Wideband A/F Meter.

I want to hear everyone else's opinion on using an EGT gauge compared to an A/F Meter, pros and cons and which one you like best or use both?

I planned on getting a EGT along with my boost and oil temp. Since I have a 3 gauge pod if I scrap the EGT I can add another gauge like Fuel Pressure.

I will be using TEC 3 so using a wide band as a tuning aide verses watching an EGT will give me a more accurate reading in helping with tuning my Z?

Thanks,

I have only used a LM-1 wideband, but I have heard that an egt is more of an educated guess. Once you know what temp your exhaust runs usually then you can tell if you are running hotter or colder to see you a/f ratio afterwards. Then again with an egt you can also tell what ignition timing is doing to your exhaust temps. But for tuning a/f ratio and nowing exactly what you are running I don't think you can beat an wideband O2.

BOTH!

Wideband is a nobrainer but once you have an idea of what EGT=what AFR you can put the wideband away and keep an eye on the EGT. Wideband is awesome for getting tuned, and the EGT is a great way to monitor I think. Although Thagard tuned soley off of EGT when on the street from what i understand. Wideband is a bit bulky and if its not mounted can get annoying after awhile. Tune it, unplug it and use the EGT.

Just my .02 cents

Guest bastaad525

you guys sure do like to make it complex and expensive :D

I agree the W/B is more useful than the EGT, but EGT is cheaper and yeah, no big bulky unit to worry about. Plus the W/B is more high maintenance, more things you have to worry about or be careful of to be sure not to damage the sensor.

Just a thought, and it can get a bit pricey, but one nice thing about the EGT sensor is the flexibility with sensors. You can install multiple ones on each port with a multi-position switch, or a dual dual gauge with two sensors, etc.

DAMN IT!!

I just ordered my gauges last night:

*Boost

*Oil Temp

*Fuel Pressure (in place of EGT)

Now I wonder if I should change the order and get the EGT and mount a smaller fuel pressure gauge on the rail??

What's the consensus?