HybridZ

Wee! Bought a stupid new toy

auxilary

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my chinese SKS several years ago, but never fired it. Dug it out of storage a few months ago to have a gunsmith (who is familiar with them) go through it to ensure correct and safe operation. I called about 15 places and 14 of them (at some point) hung up on me after I mentioned SKS. One of the guys even called me a commie F***er for owning a crap communist weapon.

Finally found a guy in Riverside, CA, who will check it out for me. He just laughed when I called... went something like this:

Me: Okay... I'm going to say what rifle I have... please, please don't hang up on me.

HIM: Um... okay-

Me: Promise?

HIM: Yep...

Me: Alrighty... I own an SKS-

HIM: [Laughs hard]... Don't worry... I get that all the time. I own 3 of them...

rival: I've got a full sized turk mauser, made in '43.

zhadman: Idiots. "Oh no, I'm all american, i have to stick to american guns because I'm patriotic!" a gun is a gun, and soviet stuff is often more reliable than US. Hell, why is the ak47 the most popular gun in the world? You can throw it in sand, mud, let it rust for a year, and it'll still work!

You're absolutely correct. Maybe they should review the operational history of the M-16. How many of them were ditched in Vietnam in favor of the AK? Yeah... lots.

My brother in law has a Yugo SKS and loves it. 'Patriots' be damned. I'm sure that during the Revolutionary War there were plenty of British made guns being used by the American forces.

SKS is a good rifle, lots of items available for it. You can get stocks, scope mounts ........ and best of all cheap ammo. Another great rifle if you can find them are the Swedish Mausers in 6.5X55. - Joe

Yep, SKS is my first rifle. Put about 2000 rounds of norinco stuff thru it and it is still pumping. I had put on a scope mount but the gun wasn't very very accurate anyway so I used it for shooting offhand at a metal gong 200meters away.

6.5X55 SM's are the best milsurp rifles, period! My first "serious" rifle, had a scope mount and was using my very own handloads. That was my first time handloading too, was afraid the gun would explode lol. At the end of the day I found a load combination that gave me half-inch 3-shot group at 100 meters. That was one of the best moments. I bought the rifle at a gun show 5 years ago for 120$CDN, and the gun was all matching numbers in excellent cond. It would sell for 3~4 times the price now.

you guys forget that I live in california...where you're not allowed to do anything to the SKS except the stock 10 round fixed mag. I also have to wait 10 days, and buy a lock when I pick up the gun.

I've also got a russian mosin nagant m44 and a turk 8mm mauser:

mauser.jpg

I owned an FN-FAL, but I sold it and got a romanian AK47. The AK has been a lot more fun and 100% reliable. Of course I don't have any guns right now because of the restraining order, but I think if it is dismissed I am going to buy one of the $3500 barrett 50 cal rifles before they get banned.

I've been thinking of getting an SKS, I already have a Swiss K-31 and several pistols - CZ-52 and Bulgie Makarov.

I also have 3 Ruger handguns, a Smith & Wesson semi-auto shotgun, and 2 EAA Witness Full Size Pistols - .45 and 10mm. Forgot about a Beretta .32ACP...

I'm lucky - I have a friend that has a Pawn FFL, so things I can't have shipped directly to me via my C&R license can go to him - of course, I also don't have to pay the background check fee, because I have a carry permit.

Awesome rifle Aux. I'm sure it will need some clean up, like any surplus rifle. I hope it turns out as nice as your Mauser and Nagant did. You still need to go get an Enfield No4 while they are still available. Military Gun Supply has them for $109 http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=CRBR4 Probably the best bolt action military rifle ever made, IMHO.

For anyone interested in getting a C&R FFL, you can order the form on this website: http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm Fill it out, turn it in along with a $30.00 fee, and upon approval you can have C&R eligible firearms shipped directly to your front door for 3 years. It pays for itself the first time you buy a gun without having to pay the transfer fee to a regular FFL holder. I'm just waiting until I have a more permanent address to turn mine in.

Mike

M 16 and the 223 inhuman bullet. Stoner designed this combination to maim and cripple before the eventual death. The bullet tends to tumble a few times after striking human flesh causing a severe wound despite the full metal jacket.The 30 caliber 7.62 X 39 full metal jacket will go striaght thru a human body and if the victim is lucky enough to be shot in a non vital area, there is a good chance for survival. Most European countries will not use a 223 round and is known and called by them as the inhuman bullet. If I am caught with a mere 22 cartridge the federal government will subject me to a mandetory 5 year prison sentence. I also suspect that this thread has caught the attention of some govt. monitoring computer for later use. Paranoid....no...I read the discovery evidence the govt. had on me. This thread should have voluntary deletions for your own safety and peace of mind in the 21st century. I had an AK 47 chambered for a 223 cartridge and SKS's milled for AK 47 magazines and drums. 120 round drum magazines for the M16. 33 month's of my time lost.

yup, and to keep up with americans, russians introduced the 5.45 caliber ak74. Stoner's main design for the .223 was weight saving. The m16 was a good accurate gun, but failed in the south east asia's jungles because the troops were never properly instructed how to maintain and clean them

Speaking of light interesting firearms... Too bad this never made it into production:

greyg11.jpg

HK G11. Caseless ammo, 50 round (or optional 100) magazine, fully loaded weighed about 10lbs. Could fire 3 round burst with delayed recoil until 3rd round