HybridZ

New member to the V8 Z Club

Wooohoooooo! I finally did it! I am the newest member of the V8 Datsun club!

I found out why my starter was coming on when the juice was applied. I had accidentally brought all three wires together on the Summit starter, which gave power all the time to the solenoid. With that easy fix, I hooked up the battery and turned the key.

A few rotations of the engine later and bam, the monster came to life! I have to admit that it scared me a little when it roared for the first time inside my closed garage. Now I want to call in sick to work today and tomorrow just to get her down off the jack stands and out onto the road. Man, this has been a long time coming.

I will have to wait until Wednesday to get back out there. By the way, I heard David Stacey say on his show Trucks that when you finally crank your rebuilt motor you should run it at 2500 RPMS for a few minutes and not just let it idle. I think that he said it had something to do with the new cam or something. Anyway, I will take any advice that you guys can give on that subject. Man if yall could see my face right now :)

Alright! way to go! Are you taking it to SEZs? If you have a roller cam, you don't have to do the 2500rpm break in, but do keep the rpms up a little while at first. If you have hyd, or solid lifters, you need to keep it at 2500 for around 15 to 20 minutes.

:cheers:

Yes, do make sure to follow the cam break-in procedure and hopefully you use lots of break-in luble on the lobes. Do not panic if the headers/exhaust manifolds start glowing cherry-red during the procdure. You might help this a little by richening up the mixture a little.

Good luck and bring it down to meet so folks can join in your celebration.

Not to hammer too much on cam break in... but you really need to alter the RPM's, Crane says it best:

Correct break-in procedure.

After the correct break-in lubricant is applied to the cam and lifters, fill the crankcase with fresh non-synthetic oil. Prime the oil system with a priming tool and an electric drill so that all oil passages and the oil filter are full of oil. Pre-set the ignition timing and prime the fuel system. Fill the cooling system. Start the engine. The engine should start quickly and run between 1500 and 3000 rpm.

If the engine will not start, don't continue to crank for long periods, as that is very detrimental to the life of the cam. Check for the cause and correct. The engine should quickly start and be run between 1500 to 3000 rpm. Vary the rpm up and down in this rpm range during the first 15 to 20 minutes, (do not run the engine at a steady rpm). During this break-in time, verify that the pushrods are rotating, as this will show that the lifters are also rotating. If the lifters don't rotate, the cam lobe and lifter will fail. Sometimes you may need to help spin the pushrod to start the rotation process during this break-in procedure.