HybridZ

Those supra guys are funny...

datsunlover

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the site' date=' you will like it here.

alot more friendly then Supraforums and alot more tech!

P.S. i have alot of respect for the Houston supra peeps.. alot of fast cars!

mike[/quote']

Mike, thanks for the welcome.

SupraForums, what's that? :wink: Many of the older Supra owners have just stayed with the MKIV mail list because the S/N ratio is higher than the other places, and we don't tolerate BS. Just call us grumpy old men.

We do have some quick and fast Supras in Houston, don't we? My little T61 is just a pea shooter compared to some of the monsters under others' hoods.

The next project on the board for me is getting a SC'd Lexus V8 transplanted into my '94, and if that goes well, and doesn't break the bank, perhaps next year I'll try stuffing a naturally aspirated V12 into the '97. I'm still a hotrodder at heart, and swaps are the reason I lurk here.

John

wow, for a sec there i thought i was back on sf, you sound like they do. like people said, there are plenty of cool owners, lots and lots of bad ones, just depends. and as for the story that started it, lets be honest and point out a few things....

#1 - a 3rd gen supra with some basic mods, and an upgraded ct26 can run low 12's, with the right driver, add some other stuff, and they go quicker.

#2 - not many fast 2nd gen rx7s on this planet, especially 10-11 sec ones with stock 13bs, and i said 2ND GEN. However, motor swaps are a different story, and 99% of all enthusiasts, me included, when told " I have a cam in it", are not going to assume you swapped a v8, we are going to assume your a moron.

I know a lot of people around atlanta, and i only know of one nice stock motor'd 2nd gen, and it wouldnt run down a to4e 3rd gen, not even close,.

Its true, most supras only run from 60mph, but there are a ton that do more than that. a friend of mine, larry, has an auto single'd car, runs 1.38's all day long on his STREET set up at road atlanta, and to let you guys know, that is FAST down there. especially in a slushbox. I've put together some nice cars that are making 400rwhp by 3500 rpm, its just not what most people do. all depeneds on preference, lets not forget why we started this forum in the first place...

Well, in regards to your 2nd point, you're free to assume whatever you like. I would have thought it would have been taken as the joke I MENT it to be, but either way, it was still funny to me.. :lol: Really, people thinking like that gives me an advantage, imo. You woudn't be expecting a V8, seeing as I'm a moron.. :confused2 BTW, I'm really not sure on the year, but I AM positive this car was a 2nd gen supra. (looks similar to the old nissan 200sx's) And either way, in my book, a RACE is from a stop, not 60mph.. jeezz..

I guess it was silly of me to even talk to the guy, cause if I didn't get the typical 'supra attutude' or 'anti rotary attitude' I STILL would have got the 'you're an idiot' attitude by telling him I jamed a pushrod V8 in my Import car.. oh well.

I had a MK III Supra Turbo 5-speed (1987); bought it in 1995, sold in 2000; my first "sports car".

Since I'm a low-rpm guy, this car was nothing but frustration. When I lived in Los Angeles, I once went to Pomona for test-and-tune. After one of the best launches of my life, I reached... 86 mph @15.8. True, by then the head gasket was not far from failure (again!) and the turbo only spooled to about 5 psi.

Before the Supra, I had a Corona (1970's RWD precursor to the Camry) and 1983 Celica. The Supra turned me away from Toyota - until I ended up with a early 1990's Corolla (reached 225K miles before the rust killed it).

Bottom line - with the proverbial right mods and right driver, Supras can exhibit impressive performance, but a stock Supra with a mediocre driver isn't particularly impressive.

wasnt calling you a moron, and yes, i can see it would help in street racing. but honestly, if i roll up in my 65 triumph tr4a, and you say, what all you got done, and i say, um.. coil overs, big brakes, wheels, bigger fuel injectors, upgraded turbo, bigger pistons, and full exhaust.. what are you going to assume? not knowing me, not knowing im on here. your gonna be like.. ya whatever. all im saying is, dont fault the kid for looking at you funny when you told him you had a cam in it. really, do you expect people to go " a cam really? its a v8 swap? cool?" i dont mind pointing out people who are dumb, but i dont think we should tease about a kid who would make the same assumption 99% of us would make. i can understand that its funny, it would be to me too. i love when people ask why there is a toyota symbol on my motor, i tell them its from a supra, and they are like, wow, 2jz.. cool. and i love when people ask if the cuda has a hemi, i tell them nope, and they act like it must be slow.. and i especially love when i tell people im thinkin about those mods for a tr4a, and they dont have a clue that on the floor under a cover behind it... is a sr20det... but i wont knock them for being confused, just uninformed..

Guest 73Turbo240z

seems some surpa owners are afriad to get there hands dirty... or they are checkbook mechanics.

this is solely based off the supras i've personally dealt with... nothing that i've gathered from 3rd party sources.

#2 - not many fast 2nd gen rx7s on this planet' date=' especially 10-11 sec ones with stock 13bs, and i said 2ND GEN. However, motor swaps are a different story, and 99% of all enthusiasts, me included, when told " I have a cam in it", are not going to assume you swapped a v8, we are going to assume your a moron.

[/quote']

Haha, very true. It makes me think of this famous video that went around awhile back where a guy was questioning some Mustang owner on his car at some show/event, and the owner, when asked if he had things like rotary + pistons, turbo + headers, etc (all conflicting things), he totally claimed he had it all, including that his Mustang was a special "GT-R" edition (he had a knockoff Skyline badge too). At least in this case, it's a safe assumption the guy did NOT have an engine swap!