HybridZ

Need opinions on daily driver car

RPMS

At around 350,000 miles, my daily driver is just about worn out. I'm sort of stumped as far as what sort of car to get next. The only requirements I have is that it seat four people at a time, and have decent A/C for the Texas summers. I've never really had a car with good AC, and this time I think I'll treat myself. I would like to get something that's decent fun to drive, with a torquey engine and a five (or six) speed transmission if possible. I'd even consider a car with a slushbox if it's a good one. It doesn't have to be the fastest car in the world - I have the Z for that.

Some of the cars I'm considering at the moment are:

1) 1993-1995 BMW 540i. Can be had with a 6-speed tranny. Fast, classy, and bank-vault solid. They run $6-8k, and with care, would last me 100k miles with ease. Might also consider the 535i.

2) 1989-1994 Nissan Maxima. Mom had one, and it was a hoot of a car. Cheap, dependable, and pretty fast with a stick. I've seen them $2,500-4,500, but many of them are reaching the end of their productive lives.

3) 1990-1994 Audi S4 Quattro. I love Audi cockpits. Would it be reliable enough for a daily driver, though?

Honestly, I'm at a loss here. I've been very happy with my 20 year old car, it's just not very reliable anymore. What do you think the best bang for the buck is in the used automotive world? If it wasn't for the 4-seater requirement, I'd get something mega-fun like an MR-2 turbo or a 300ZXTT.

your price range is up to 8k, right?

opt for a 95-99 maxima. more power (195 vs. 160), 5 speed, roomy, a/c. 99s go for 7-8k

I'd avoid bmw because repairs will be costly, and you're investing in a 10-13 year old car. While it may have low miles or great engine, everything else is worn with time: bushings, shocks, lines, etc.

Just steer clear of early 90s audis unless you have deep pockets.

For 9-10k you can find a 2.3 liter ford focus, or a 98-99 subaru 2.5rs impreza (one of them has a problematic DOHC motor, stay away from it. SOHC were put back in service because they were problem free)

I LOVE the mid 90's 540. That is one COOL car. I had a friend who was a BMW master tech at the time they came out, and he used to tell me stories about that 540 (he had a tendency to do very "thorough" test drives). I remember they came out with one about 97 or 98 IIRC with some fairly deep dished mesh wheels. Just beautiful. In fact my wife lusts after 3 cars after the Z: M5, WRX, and the new Mini. I think I could get her to settle for the 540 though. :)

I would stay away from the 5 series. I have a 91 520i it overheated on me and I had to have the heads shaved and a bunch of other stuff. My mechanic was telling me that he had a 5 series before and that If they get passed the half way mark you should shut them down emideatley. Their heads can warp or crack real easy. Once they overheat real bad the cars never the same.

My vote is for a nissan.

I'm planning on a 2006 Mazda3 5-dr for my daily driver. 160 hp with very decent gas mileage. Some excellent options too, like HID, Sportshift tranny, etc. and at a price under $20k

funny you should mention that, I have a buyer for my neon and I'm looking at the mazda3 myself. I've test driven 4 of them, and while they understeer pretty bad, they're quite capable handling cars and get 32 mpg on the freeway.

Unfortunately, it's a step down from the neon in fuel economy. My R/T would get 35-36mpg on the freeway.

Unfortunately' date=' it's a step down from the neon in fuel economy. My R/T would get 35-36mpg on the freeway.[/quote']

All the newer cars are a step down, and all the gas prices are a step up what's up with that? And the 2005 Mistbishi Eclipse with the 3.8L v-6 got 15mpg on motorweek! WTF? My mom's 1989 Thunderbird with the 3.8L and 4 speed auto gets 33 on the freeway and minimum 22 around town and weighs 500-1000 more! What's going on here?

We did literaly back to back drives of the 540 and the 328 and We wound up with a 328i, and when I buy a new car, I'll KEEP the 328i as my daily driver and buy the wife a new car... Thing rocks and I LOVE this little 97 BMW...AND SHE gets 30-32mpg in it! :2thumbs:

Mike

All the newer cars are a step down, and all the gas prices are a step up what's up with that? And the 2005 Mistbishi Eclipse with the 3.8L v-6 got 15mpg on motorweek! WTF? My mom's 1989 Thunderbird with the 3.8L and 4 speed auto gets 33 on the freeway and minimum 22 around town and weighs 500-1000 more! What's going on here?

gearing. it's all about gearing and better acceleration that everyone wants. The mazda3s (2.3 liter) has 4.1 final drive, and .75 overdrive 5th. My neon, 99 r/t, has 3.94:1 final, and .81 5th, but it's a 2 liter with a performance tranny, regular neon has 3.55 and .74 5th for REALLY good fuel economy.

Look at the new miata: 2 liter, 170hp, 6 speed transmission... I took it out for a test drive, I was turning 3500rpm in 6th gear at 70mph! that's some crazy gearing that kills fuel economy

funny you should mention that' date=' I have a buyer for my neon and I'm looking at the mazda3 myself. I've test driven 4 of them, and while they understeer pretty bad, they're quite capable handling cars and get 32 mpg on the freeway.

[/quote']

Did you happen to go to the Mazda ZoomZoomLive event in Alameda the other week? I went and drove the Mazda3 on one of the courses and I was rather impressed with the braking. I felt myself lurch unexpectedly forward cuz I was unprepared for the sharp braking! Though I half wonder if they "fixed up" the cars being used so as to impress potential buyers. I'm gonna test drive an '06 when they become available in a few weeks.

We did literaly back to back drives of the 540 and the 328 and We wound up with a 328i' date=' and when I buy a new car, I'll KEEP the 328i as my daily driver and buy the wife a new car... Thing rocks and I LOVE this little 97 BMW...AND SHE gets 30-32mpg in it! :2thumbs:

Mike[/quote']

What year 328 did you get? One thing I love about BMW's is the fact that you've got your sports car and your family sedan all rolled into one. They're just FUN to drive!

Aux, the suggestion of a newer Maxima is a good one, but I hate the way they look. There's just something about the early 90's ones that catch my eye. (as if I should be basing my decision on looks. That's like dating a girl just because she's got big boobs.)

With gas prices so high, I've even been thinking about an early Toyota Tercel or Honda Civic. Nothing complicated to break down, easy to work on, and they squeeze 35-40 miles out of a gallon of gas. Only problem is, they're tin cans. Not a good thing if you go on family road trips.

Oh, and you're right, NaplesZ - the heads on big BMW's are prone to warp if they overheat. I've lost two motors that way. If you keep them up they're

dead-nuts reliable, though. But most of us are lax, and will let a car overheat, thinking "Oh, it's just a few miles more..." Not a good thing.

Did you happen to go to the Mazda ZoomZoomLive event in Alameda the other week? I went and drove the Mazda3 on one of the courses and I was rather impressed with the braking. I felt myself lurch unexpectedly forward cuz I was unprepared for the sharp braking! Though I half wonder if they "fixed up" the cars being used so as to impress potential buyers. I'm gonna test drive an '06 when they become available in a few weeks.
nope. I just wandered into a dealership, the sales manager turned out to be a Z guy, we BS'd, he handed me the keys to a mazda3 and said "go nuts. come back when you're ready"

Then I testdrove the 06 mazda miata gt :)

I am fond of Subarus, but there are probably more of them up here in the NW than in TX. They are super reliable and very easy to work on. The engine is a boxer style 4 cylinder, all aluminum, with hardened sleeves that just don't wear out, even after 250,000 plus miles. Usually what kills these motors is a blown head gasket. I am adopting a Forester as my daily driver (I am hotrodding it first, of course). I like the practicality of a small SUV body.

One great thing about Subarus is that they are like legos, all the drivetrain and suspension parts are interchangable among models. Probably the best engine for reliability is the 2.2 liter which comes in most of the mid 90's Legacy's and Imprezas. Stay away from the DOHC 2.5 liter, it is prone to head gasket failure. The SOHC 2.5 liter, which comes in the 99 and later Forester, is ok. You should be able to get a mid to late 90's Legacy sedan with all the options and stay within your budget. And if you feel the need for more speed, swapping in a WRX turbo drivetrain is not that big a deal. Plus many of the suspension parts from the sport models - struts, brakes, etc - bolt right in.

Dave