HybridZ

I have a confession to make, I used a very cheesy fix for an exhaust leak

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

heh... well this is my confession, to help me feel a little better for doing something very cheesy :/

I had mentioned a while ago that I had gotten (yet another) leak between my exhaust manifold and the head. I blame the crappy felpro gasket. I know they do make quality products but this is one I have never had any luck with (my third leaky one), and yeah I've had the manifold checked for trueness. And I have heard and read from other people that they too have had bad luck with the felpro manifold gasket.

Well anyways... I don't have the time the inclination (especially not in this recent VERY hot weather we've been having) to replace the gasket myself, call me lazy... and I definately haven't had the money to spare to get someone else to do it either. In the meantime, every time I drive the car I get a headache from the fumes getting into the cabin... and I dont' want to stop driving the car (it's much needed stress relief).. so I needed a quick fix.

Enter Quicksteel: http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?9621

Sorta like JB Weld but better, I used this on a leak I had on the plastic filler neck on my Sentra's radiator (the nozzle leading to the overflow bottle snapped off) and it's worked wonderfully for about a year now, it can put up with really high heat and is pretty much impervious to chemicals like fuel and such.

Well... I really had very little faith that it would work for the exhuast... I just wedged some in there up against the gasket... to my amazement it seems to be working perfectly. I see NO more trace of carbon buildup even after 50 miles of driving (with lots of boosting thrown in for good measure).

My only worry is that when the time comes to do the job properly, I'm might have a heck of a time getting that stuff off :P but then again, who knows maybe I won't HAVE to do any more fix than this. It shouldn't be any harder to remove than really old gasket material.

So yeah... totally cheesy, and I know you guys would want to laugh and or shake your heads at me... but at least this one actually did work (which they rarely ever do). And I can keep driving the car.

Well there is my confession, make fun, shake your head, but I feel better :D

Guest bastaad525

ROFL I knew it!!! I KNEW Tim would be the first one to come to this thread and leave something :D I was gonna say at the end of the post something like "And I know Tim240z would not approve" ROFLMAO

yeah Tim I know... I know :D what can I say

You adressed your "cheesey fix" inappropriately... Caption should have read: Great product for temporary exhaust leak. Then followed by a glowing endorsement of the product as a temporary measure allowing the needed attention to more pressing issues associated with yout Z car. You think it could be applied as a liner for the cylinder walls until new piston rings are installed????? ? How does it work on rust repair??????

Guest bastaad525

actually, in all seriousness, Quicksteel IS a great product. It's very strong stuff, yet very easy to work with. I can't say I'd recommend it for cylinder linings :P wiseguy :D but as I mentioned it's holding up just fine as a permanent repair for a coolant leak on my Sentra, and that case saved me lots of cash because the only REAL fix for that would have been a new radiator. I drove the Z around some more and it's holding up perfectly on that exhaust leak as well, even with the immense heat of the turbo exhaust manifold.

Tony - at least someone understands :D

Confused - yeah, I'd rather have fixed it the right way too. Unfortunately, already working a 50 hour a week job, I don't have a lot of free time, and what free time I do have I don't want to spend out doing a few hours worth of work on my Z in 90 degree + weather amplified by the brick-oven like garage that I park in to well over 100 degrees, hunched over removing and replacing those manifolds. If it were winter time than it'd probably be a different story. And as I said, I'm too tight on money right now to pay a shop to do it. So, rather than just parking the car until winter, or driving it the way it was and likely shortening my life inhaling all that exhaust, or at least feeling like crap every time I drive it, I settled on a temp fix. It worked, and in the end, I only made a small amount of additional work for myself later when I go to remove that stuff and do the job for real.

True. I understand where youre coming from. Its hot as hell here and I wouldnt want to work in it either. As far as the job thing, I also know where you are coming from. I used to work 60+ hours a week in a warehouse unloading freight. Keep in mind I was only 18 years old at the time. But anyway, back to the Epoxy, if it works, that great. Until a problem arises with it, I say keep on truckin'. Itsa great quick fix. Come to think of it, I dont think I would have thought of that.

Guest bastaad525

I wouldn't have thought of it either had I not already had the stuff on hand. It's rated to handle a very high temperature, 500*F, same as the copper spray I used on the manifold gasket before installing it. It's also supposed to be impervious to chemicals like fuel and such. It just occured to me like "hey... why not?". It was such a small leak anyways, so I figured it'd be easy to plug if there were something that could put up with the heat.

Guest bastaad525
I might resort to trying this... I've gone through 2 headers, 3 gaskets and even milled the sides of each to inusre they were flat, still get leaks.

Exactly... I'm just tired of chasing leaks on this thing (not only exhaust, I've been dealing with oil leaks since day one of the swap as well... driving me nuts!). I've gone thru three gaskets or maybe four, and I've had the manifold checked and found straight as an arrow. I just don't want to bother with the work to have it start leaking again. Drove the car again today and the Quicksteel is still holding up fine, not a sign of carbon buildup anywhere. I'm gonna keep driving the car as much is convenient, try to rack up miles quickly and see if this stuff is gonna 'wear out'...

Well, if it does last, I'd still recomend fixing it this winter for one reason... In case it fails next summer. Then you'd be in the same mess all over.

But I might consider this as well. My exhast manifold's futhest back mount has cracked and warped, thus unabling me to properly mount it. I passed smog, wich detects exhast leaks, so it must not be that bad, but it's noticable audible. If it wasn't there, you'd barelly hear the engine, but it's enough to almost overpower the exhast in low RPM. Maybe this stuff would be a good solution until I can afford a new exhast manifold.

Guest bastaad525

drove it to work again today... still holding up. Doing a LOT of boosting as I'm having issues with my boost controller that I'm trying to work out, so requiring a lot of 'testing'.

never argue with results!

I watched in horror as my colleague smeared JB Weld over channels in a head surface where the fire ring of the head gasket sits, then slap it on the engine for running. This was on a stationary engine running 23psi boost, 24/7. Not my idea of "what should be done" but it held till next maintenance interval.

As great as my horror was, I could not argue with the results. If it gets you to where you can fix it in a correct manner later, all's fair!

I would rather drive to the hotel at the end of the day with an "improper fix" than WALK in the rain ANY DAY!

What is this "repair purisim" I'm seeing?

LOL