HybridZ

how to build a rally car using a WRX

Somehow I don't think they add 1000 lbs of tubing for a roll cage! But, I do agree with Jon as these guys do put these cages to regular use. Just watch some of the WRC events and you will also agree that these impressive cages are a must. Boy, do these guys know how to hang it out? And these new age drifters thought they started something new.....not!

i gotta agree.. those cages are a must. i've seen some WRC races on the sides of a mountain. those guys are hauling *** on loose gravel practically inches away from the edge of the cliff and of course, no fence to hold them back. better safe than sorry! i actually had a cool video clip of some rally crashes. one scene was of a guy flying off the mountain and tumbling down (he survived)

anyway. the point was how much tedious and intricate welding was involved to put this car together. a lot of guys want to do some chassis stiffening and if you have access to a welder and rotisserie, the seam welding definately does the trick. this gives an idea of how to go about doing it =)

Does all that extra cage help that much. I would think that the excessive (imo) amount of metal put into it would simply add too much weight and now that the car has such a strong cage, your body would be taking the force instead whereas before some of the force atleast could be absorbed. Im all for cages because they do do alot, but i think at a certain point isn't too much as far as stiffness to the point that it would be acctually more dangerous? Just wondering