HybridZ

5 speed on the road course

srgunz

Yesterday I got 45 minutes of track time. My 240 has the 1978 5 speed and 4:11 rear. Anyway, after a few laps the trans. started to become harder and harder to upshift. 4th gear was espically hard to find. The shifter feel was less precise than normal. On the way home all was normal again.

I wonder if the trans lube was overheated causing problems or a clutch problem. My clutch slave cyl is a little wet but not bad. I guess I will try a synthetic manual trans. oil.

Anyone else notice this on the track?

One thing about a hard road course run you find out right away where all your cars weakness are that you never find out on the street.

Be careful with synthetic. I tried some and lost the 3rd gear synchro in one day of racing at PIR. Stick with a good regular GL4 75/90 (Chevron Delo, Swepco 201).

I was running Royal Purple synthetic in my box and thought I lost the 3rd gear synchro as well. It was starting to grind when I tried to downshift too quick. But since then I've changed it with Mobil1 synthetic in and it seems to have subsided.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hi-jack but I run Redline MTL in my early 5 speed (I think the same kind JohnC refers to) and it is VERY hard to shift - expecially into first and second. Sometimes stopped at idle it wont shift into first so you have to put it in second before it will go into first. I just replaced the second gear synchro so it doesn't grind at all it just is very hard to move the lever into gear (well it almost always grinds going into reverse but never the forward gears). Once in gear the car doesn't move as may happen if the clutch was not completely disengaging so I'm not sure where to go from here. I am wondering if I have the wrong throwout bearing and maybe the clutch is not completely disengaging? I have adjusted the pedal all the way out so it will have the maximum travel to provide the most possible clutch travel but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Thanks - again sorry for the hi-jack

Cameron