HybridZ

Brake upgrade QUESTION

OK so I just intalled brand new rotors, brakes pads, and have stainless steel lines, and you know what? My brakes suck! I also have a brand new booster. I mean the braking is waaay soft and takes forever to stop. I used some perf. pads that MSA sells that was supposed to be an improvement over stock. Is there something else I need to look at? Is there an adjustemnt to tighten the brake action or something?

I too have a similar issue but mine are real hard and just dont grab. I have new rotors, pads (but brand unknown as they were installed by previous owner), & shoes. Rears adjusted, very well bled, new booster, but there's just nothing there except my pedal is very hard not soft. I'm sure I couldn't lock them if I had to. To give you an example at the autox last weekend according to the G-Tech I was pulling 0.73 g's accel, 0.98 g's sideways, and only 0.38 g's in braking. I can actually accelerate faster than I can brake! I'm wondering if the PO 'upgraded' the the larger later model master cylinder so it's not generating enough line pressure to squeeze the pads?

Thanks

Cameron

Cameron, maybe glazed rotors/drums? You should be able to get a lot more braking g's than accel g's. Something isn't right. Did you break them in or just put them on and go "see how good they work"?

Yeah, I know I should be able to get a lot more braking g's and therefore know something's not right - especially considering it's just a warmed over L6 and not some rocket ship. I'm also used to my daily driver which stops NOW which makes it that much more apparent. The new pads/rotor/shoes were already installed when I bought the car which is why I have no idea what brand they are but it's very obvious they have very few miles on them. I personally replaced the booster so unless I got a bad one (bought from Napa)

then it should be good and I do have a decent vacuum going to it.

Thanks

Cameron

No harm in taking some sandpaper to them in the event they might be glazed....if you see a shine/sheen on the pad surface they're quite likely glazed..just lightly sand this off and rebed them in and see if that improves.....easy enough to try (could just try fronts alone first).

Good luck,