HybridZ

Whose got the slowest V8z?

I see lots of guys with what i consider mild small blocks runnin in the 11's and 12's

Im really tuning down the sbc i was going to build, and i dont wanna ask the question "whats it gonna run" cause there no way to really tell (altho i bet i will still ask it once i have the motor assembled)

So, who has a slow z, i mean like a stock small block, or a 305 or something, that has taken it to the track, and can post some numbers...

I wanna see what it takes to get into the 12's cause, its lookin like not much..

What mods, if any, and what tranny?

A mild built 350 can go 12's it just depends on what 12's you are after high, medium or low 12's?

A 9.5 to 1 motor with a 220-230 duration cam, decent heads, vortech, Edelbrock etc with a decent intake and carb will net you 12's all day long.

Just my opinion though and we all know opinions are like assholes, everyones got one!

Mike

For what it's worth...I think the JTR manual says somewhere that a stock 350 in a 1G Z will run around a 13.4 or so...with the exception of my edelbrock intake and headers, my 280Z with a fairly tired '350 "feels" like a 13 second car.

280Zone had an even more tired 350 with carb issues in his and WITH A PASSENGER and a slipping tranny ran consistent low 14's.

My first engine in the 77 was a freebie 2-barrel 305 with a th350 tranny. This was with the stock 3.545 rear end. The combo had like 152,000 miles on it. While the car was NOT slow off the line, it really sucked past around 3K rpms where the power just seemed to level off. It had no problems at all pulling itself up to the redline of about 115 mph even with the crappy powerband. Anyway, I don't have slips, but it would do 0-60 in around 7 seconds and probably 1/4 mile in the 16's. This was very close to the stock L6 engine's performance and just motivated me more to get the "good" mild 350 engine in it.

So do I win for my (formerly) slowest v8 Z car? I want to see someone else chime in with slow times. Seriously, the only way one could be slower is with a 283 or something else that is tired and smaller than the 305.

By the way, that engine had 145 horsies and 240 torque from the factory, so I was somewhere around there power-wise.

Pat

Old tires, no traction... etc. Thanks for bringing this up Bill! :)

Low 14's might sound slow but we were toasting almost everything we raced. Including several Mustangs, Camaro's, G35's etc. But that was the other car. I am shootnig for a 12 second car so I don't have to install a roll bar. Not that I don't want to be safe, but if my car has a roll bar in it I won't fit!

Hey patsky i might have you beat, not that I am proud with this or anything but I have a 72 240 with a 77 ford 302 I know I am in the chevy section but thats what i bought my car with and it has 139 horses at 3600 rpms and 250 torque at 1800 rpms and its out of a mustang 2. Talk about some major power haha I am not sure of the 1/4 time i havent ran it but its not too slow because how low its geared, it goes 20 in first maybe a little more, so it gets off the line pretty good but once i grab 3rd its as slow as can be.

Ill add a bit here. With my 350 and stock heads Comp 262 flat tappet hydraulic cam, stock iron heads, 650 Vac Secondary and 700R4 with 354 rear and 2 1/4 duals with Dart alum intake and stock convertor I ran a 13.7 to 13.9 all day long.

Now with a simple head change to AFR 190s, 3500 stall and Roller retrofit to Comp Cams XR282HR and 2 1/2 exhaust, and 750DP I ran a 11.91 best on all motor.

Heads are a big deal, then CAM, then Torque convertor in my case. I gained a .5 in the quarter just by changing the torque convertor!

Terry

JTR manual says mid 14's at 95 mph with a 185hp 350 (4bl, stock manifolds, single exhaust, stock cam). That is an engine similar to a goodwrench 350 replacement engine.

It will drop time quickly with a cam, headers, intake, carb, and aftermarket heads.

Yup, it has a nine inch ford rear end.

Damn corzette that's some amazing change with AFR heads. I went from 12.33 to 11.70 changing from World sportsman 200's to AFR 220's. Both had a solid roller cam, just the head change, not as drastic as yours, but still a good improvement.

I think a stock 350 will be in the 13's somewhere, from what I've seen a simple cam change and intake will put it into the 12's. And no 12's, even 13's aren't slow, that'll dust just about anything on the road these days, unless you run into another V8 z.

AFR heads rule Im going to be running thr AFR 220 heads on my turbo 350 im building to replace my suercharged 350, with that combo I hope to be solid 9's on stock suspension!! muah ha ha ha!!! But this wont happen till late next year or the spring after!!

• Administrators

These Trick Flow heads are a really nice head, probably good for 400 HP easily. I just bought this set that are still in new in the box sitting on my desk here, Except for this one I took out to inspect and take pics of).

Trick Flow 195 CC intake Kenny Duttweiler signature series, CNC combustion chambers with the 1.47” springs good for up .540” lift, NEW still in the box. I’m considering selling them as I am seriously considering a more radical cylinder head for my current V-8 project. These heads are the Summit part number TFS 30400002-CNC. They came with screw in studs and guide plates 2.02”/1.60” Stainless valves as well. Very nice looking heads for sure. If I wasn’t wanting something more Race oriented, I would definitely run these heads, (And I still just might do that any way). These CNC chambers are GORGEOUS! The castings are very nice and clean, comparable to Edelbrock as far as casting quality goes. In looking at the ports where they meet the valve seats, as cast, the transition is very nice, I see no reason to pocket port.

If I do sell these TFS heads, it is a toss up between the GM Fast Burn and the AFR 210 Race Head…

Decisions decisions…

ChmbrMedium.jpg

Gotta love these chambers…

ExhMedium.jpg

Exhaust looks pretty good as well. Seats blend into the ports VERY nicely as cast…

IntMedium.jpg

Intake ports are very nice and clear, showing studs and guide plates as well.